Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
^^^^
I have DHCP from Rogers and my IP address rarely changes, unless I change hardware or Rogers reconfigures the network.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have DHCP from Telus and it changes regularly, logging into the router shows how long the IP lease has left (I think its every 90 days), I can also trigger it renew my IP address manually.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Interesting site. It also debunks Canadian ISP propaganda that people using torrents on third party reseller ISPs are overloading the incumbents' networks with torrent downloads. According to the ScanEye database, the leading ISP for torrents is Bell Canada. It's followed by Shaw Communications, Rogers Cable, Bell Aliant and Telus Communications. TekSavvy Solutions, the first reseller on the list, comes in at #6,
But how many more customers does Bell have than Teksavvy? If Teksavvy has 1/10 the torrents of Bell, but 1/50 the number of customers then that would mean that a Teksavvy client is 5X more likely to be torrenting. Is that data available?

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
It doesn't matter. Bell's claim was that TSI customers were overloading their network with torrent traffic. Bell used that claim to justify actions, such as throttling and back charges, to be applied to TSI users. This data largely debunks Bell's claims.

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
This data largely debunks Bell's claims.
This data doesn't prove anything. I had someone who has downloaded a few torrents check the site. There was only 1 torrent listed for his IP address, which was correct. However he was able to identify about 2 dozen other torrents in that timeframe and he's had the same address for over 2 years.

That works out to a 95% error rate (or more accurately 95% "missing data"). You can't make any statistical projections from data that is so inaccurate .

41 - 45 of 45 Posts