Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hmm... well I looked up my IP - the site found a single torrent which I never heard of nor downloaded, and none of the torrents I actually did download were listed.

I wonder how up-to-date the results are, as I switched to a new ISP several months ago.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
greenshadow, ain't sanctimony something ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ahhh yes... But if the end of the article is true....

Things could become very interesting...

Cameron

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
For those with a static IP, this works.

But most use an internet service that dynamically allocates IP addresses which change from time to time.

So... an ISP reallocates an IP to you that previously had a download history of torrent usage....

This needs more thought....

The only true way is to tie an IP to a MAC address... And I suspect that most ISP's don't show the MAC address to the outside... But I'm not sure...

Cameron
Actually, Shaw does show MAC addresses to the outside, through dynamic DNS names.

For example, I'm in Winnipeg, so my Shaw domain is wp.shawcable.net

The address S0106xxxxxxxxxxxx.wp.shawcable.net (where the x's represent my router's WAN MAC ID) will resolve to my router's WAN IP Address. So, if you have my current IP address, you know my router's WAN MAC, and using the dynamic DNS name, you can find out my current IP address, even if it changes.

I'm sure the purpose of this "feature" is for Shaw's own internal network management, but to me it appears to be a security hole which can be used by an unknown third party for tracking purposes.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
^^^^
Rogers does the same thing. However, I use it with a public DNS server for my own domain. I just create an alias for my computer domain name to that long one from Rogers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Scaneye.net

Since the youhavedownloaded site isn't working at the moment, I tried http://scaneye.net/

Simply click the button that says IP-CHECK (free) at the top right side of the scaneye page.

I see two torrent files listed on my IP address which I remember clicking the links for because I wanted to see what would happen and what file extensions they used. Without a torrent client (I've never used torrents or even Usenet), the files are useless to me, but at least that scaneye website seems to work for me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I tried it but it gives me 2 files but i never downloaded them so they are probably whoever had the ip before me must have downloaded

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^^ Is it possible one of your ISP's upstream servers are in Orleans?

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I used to do a "tracert" from a command prompt a lot when I was with previous ISP's who would blame me for making errors trying to reach sites when in fact the Trace Route command would ping all the servers that were currently listed as being the route from me to wherever I was trying to get to and invariably some of those turned out to be either down, misconfigured or whatever as using alternative ISP routing would show the destination sites actually being up and on-line, to which the ISP then would admit it was their fault....

Now, the trace route command does NOT identify the actual location of upstream servers... So where the identification of your location is taking place I don't know, and it probably would be hard to determine, at least from a user standpoint.

Cameron

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Interesting site. It also debunks Canadian ISP propaganda that people using torrents on third party reseller ISPs are overloading the incumbents' networks with torrent downloads. According to the ScanEye database, the leading ISP for torrents is Bell Canada. It's followed by Shaw Communications, Rogers Cable, Bell Aliant and Telus Communications. TekSavvy Solutions, the first reseller on the list, comes in at #6, quite a bit behind any of the others. It also debunks the theory that low data caps are needed to deter torrent downloading. TekSavvy Solutions has offered consistently higher caps, lower penalties for exceeding caps and more reasonably priced unlimited plans during the same period.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
The databases that link an IP address to a location are based on records from your ISP, are they not? If someone really tried they might be able to link it to your exact street address but that would certainly get into the realm of a violation of your privacy. Companies like Google, Apple, BB and Microsoft could likely link your external IP to your street address but we wouldn't like them to do so.

For example, if MCIBUS has an iPhone or iPad and acesses iCloud services from IP 63.123.123.123 while at 24 Sussex Drive in Ottawa every day via the wired internet then that is likely his home IP address and we know the exact geographic location thanks to GPS or aGPS. Or if Apple tracks your location via GPS, like with find my iPhone, they can know what adress you sleep at every night and they may know your IP address at each moment of the day, assuming that you use Wifi while at home. Putting two and two together they can figure out where you live. They could do this if they wanted to. Do they? Who knows.

Google was also building a database of home wifi WAPs with their Streetview program, remember that? Didn't they say they deleted that info.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Probably true but this thread is about sites tracking torrent downloads.

Perhaps most torrent users with TekSavvy are using a VPN?
I'd say it's not significantly more likely than customers at any other ISP, at least not until proven. TSI is a much different company today than it was 5 years ago and so are its customers.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
What about IP addresses that keep rolling? My IP changes about 3 or 4 times a year. LAst time I checked the IP checker for torrents, I had about 30 or so files. When I check a few months later, it was down to 5. Funny thing is yes I did used torrents to get HD shows on TV that I have missed but none of these showed up in the files they listed.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A pretty pointless website............just out there to scare you. The data shows nothing other than potential torrents by IP address, which are very dynamic especially if your ISP using DHCP.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts