Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trial period for my Mercedes just expired and I am looking to subscribe. With the announcement of the merger between Sirius and XM still awaiting CRTC approval, my question is whether or not it would be wise to sign up for a year (or longer) and take the chance that any changes to the service that are likely to come about in the coming months? My instinct is to sign up for the month-to-month service and see what happens. I really only listen to one or two music stations, and I'm not actually in the car that much, so big sports packages etc. really don't interest me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm month to month as well with Sirius. Don't forget you also get free online and smartphone access with Sirius Canada.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I doubt that any existing agreements would be denied under the merged company. Sign up for the best deal and ignore the merger. If anything, the merged company will have fewer deals, since competition is eliminated.

Not renewing usually results in a better offer at a discounted price. If you don't mind going without Sirius/XM for a few days or weeks, it's worth a try. OTOH, if saving a few dollars is not worth the hassle...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not worried about them honouring any agreement I enter into but rather that there might be better agreements to be had after the merger. That said, your comment about the absence of competition sounds reasonable and may in fact lead the way to higher pricing. Now I'm leaning toward a one year deal.

In the same vein, do you have any bargaining power with respect to the activation fee if you sign up for a year or more? Their fine print says the activation fee could be as much as $40.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since you don't listen to satellite radio THAT much, I would say wait until they contact you with a special offer. I bought a new car recently and 2 months after my free subscription expired, I was offered 5 months for $20.

That might be more worth it if you don't use the service that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts