·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed this

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/highspeed-300-2yvp/

Internet 300 with 2-year ValuePlan
Get the most from your Internet service

Whether you're a gamer or a binger, our fastest Internet delivers superior performance and speed for the people who need the best. And with a 2-Year ValuePlan, your rates are guaranteed for 24 months.
Promo for 6 months
$ 55 00* /mo
Intro offer for 6 months
on a 2-year ValuePlan^
$105.00*/MO for months 7-24
Regular Price $120/MO

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So I'm on 150 and a value plan that will end in 2019 and if I calcualte with no deal next year I will pay 2340 over 2 years but if I go with the 300 plan and deal I will pay 2220 over 2 years.....hmmmmm. Crap! New customers only and I would have to live with Telus 6Mbps for 90 days. Yuk!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
gzink, my value plan is just up and Shaw is now giving me 150 @ 88 month for 12 months. While I am happy with that, I am not happy with my Hitron. I am debating signing up for a new 2 yr value plan if only to get the new Arris modem. Either that or buy my own router and bridge to the modem. I never get the advertised speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quick question....does a Shaw Tech need to come out and install the new modem and set-up 300? I'm on 150 with the Hitron modem in bridge modem. I would rather like to pick up the modem and install it myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use my own Netgear Giga router and get bursts to 170 with the Hitron in bridge mode.
I use the second IP for a separate router for my Smart TV.
Note you can also have just one port hardwired on the Hitron and
still use it's WiFi.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just upgraded to Telus Fibre for my internet. The speed is 300 mb up AND down. Price is $55 for first 6 months and then $110 from there. ( 150 mbs plan was $90 ongoing)

If you should be lucky enough to be in a fibre service area, this might be an alternative to the asymmetrical bandwidth offered by Shaw.

btw: I have my own Netgear router attached directly to the ONT fibre modem supplied by Telus....I opted to not use their supplied 3200 unit for WIFI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Abdawg
Depends, but you can choose to ship to your place or pick it up at your local shaw store.
@mike10
Sounds great! I can provide a digitalhome promo for internet 300, you can DM me for details.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
gzink, my value plan is just up and Shaw is now giving me 150 @ 88 month for 12 months. While I am happy with that, I am not happy with my Hitron. I am debating signing up for a new 2 yr value plan if only to get the new Arris modem. Either that or buy my own router and bridge to the modem. I never get the advertised speeds.
Old post but thought I would reply anyway. I get 180'ish on the 150 plan when wired to the supplied modem. And that is in a semi rural area.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Oh, I get the 150 hardwired, but not through wifi. My house is 1973 vintage and the walls/ceilings degrade the signal. That, and the Hitron drops every now and again. So, my son bought me an Amplifi wireless router (without mesh point package) and bridges from the Hitron. Now I have a steady signal in all parts of the house, no drops (so far). I don't get the 150 speeds via wi-fi but anywhere from ~75 to 110. I;m thinking that when my year is up, I'll downgrade my package to internet 75.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
My house is 1973 vintage and the walls/ceilings degrade the signal.
Interior walls and ceiling should not be significantly different in construction than current houses. Go back before 1950 and there will often be some differences such as plaster and lathe instead of drywall. Even that will not make a significant difference for wifi. Wifi signals will degrade though any construction materials including wood and drywall. 5GHz will degrade more that 2.5GHz.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just got this set up last week. Before I reach out to Shaw, what is reasonable to expect for speed? I know it's advertised as 300, but what is an acceptable number?

I ask because I've done several tests and I've never seen over 85, most often it is in the 70 range.

This is hardwired to the modem. WiFi tests have been similar, in the 70-80mpbs range

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Wired I get 300+ like 326.
Wireless I have had anything from 5 to 100+ depending on timing and device.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Wired I get 300+ like 326.
Wireless I have had anything from 5 to 100+ depending on timing and device.
I can't get over 80 wired, and 70-80 on Wifi. We were unable to respond anything on a chat, so they've scheduled a tech visit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts