Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night was the start of the new season...are all the writers still in kindergarten. What was with the ending of Bull. (no spoilers) The new Chuck Lorrie show was a total waste of time. That's about all we could take and switched to one of the streaming services. I am certain that someone loved the new shows particularly employees of CTV who want to keep their jobs. Will try a few others we recorded but...hey just an opinion. :nerd

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I've noticed a general decline in network TV the past few years. That's largely due to a decline in revenue and reduced budgets for new programming. Some of the better talent is being hired away by cable channels and streaming services with bigger budgets like HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, USA, etc.

I rarely watch sitcoms so The Chuck Lorrie Show does not appeal to me. One thing I've noticed is that when comedians write and star in their own show it sometimes falls flat. I stopped watching network comedies in general when they started using laugh tracks. In my opinion, All In The Family, which was filmed in front of a live audience, was probably the last really good network comedy show. Seinfeld came close, mainly due to the writing talent and their willingness to tackle controversial topics, but that is rare on network TV. The problem with "TV moguls" like Chuck Lorrie, regardless of genre or talent, is that they often take on too many projects and the quality of all of them falls.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Night two almost as bad. All the story lines in the world have now been used. Too many cute child actors. Survivor back tonight with a so called "Canadian" participating.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Network TV is aimed at the lowest common denominator to get as broad an audience as possible, which is why the best stuff tends to be elsewhere now. At this point I barely even bother checking the networks for new shows.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Interesting that John Doyle's "10 coming shows to savour" are all streaming, with no network recommendations at all.

Reactions: nfitz

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@Norman_C: There's no question that streaming is now "the thing" with most good talent on both sides of the camera now choosing to work in that universe. However my complaint is that almost everything online is serialized whereas on OTA networks the shows still show a semblance at least of each episode being a separate entity (i.e. police/medical/legal shows). I like to jump around watching a show one week and skipping it the next. I can do that with the networks since the continuing story threads are more background than foreground. With streaming shows, miss a week or two and you're totally lost. The idea is to get you hooked and I admit the streamers are definitely succeeding at that. For me few programs have a strong enough ongoing story to keep me interested per se.

I'm also not a binge watcher. One episode a week is enough. I can tolerate two in a row but go beyond that and I just get bored and switch off. The stories are never really that compelling. That is another reason the old network paradigm works better for me than on demand streaming.

@jacjames: With to regard to the ending for Bull this week, I give the writers/creators full marks for originality. A case that was never settled doesn't happen very often on TV today but it does happen in real life. That ending set in the future with no doubt an ancient Benny & Bull calling two teenage kids home for the night was a whimsical and very imaginative way to end such a story. It's the kind of imaginative ending that we see rarely on TV today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts