Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
After my usual after midnight programming, I noticed that I have info for days 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 instead of the more typical 1, 2, 7.
Well, what was there at 1AM is gone 12 hours later. I only have days 1, 2 on both PVRs. Phooey! I guess I'll have to use Anyplace TV - perhaps that's what they're trying to do to us - use online resources instead of PVR resources? Or perhaps they're just inept.

One issue with using Anyplace is that the recording often doesn't show the information for the recorded programme, even though the info is on Anyplace. I guess if it's not on the PVR, the info doesn't get transferred to the recording.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I sometimes have 4 days of info. Yesterday I had days 1, 2, 6, 7. Some days I have only days 1, 2. When talking to them ask them why our IPG information has been downgraded since the IPG is stored on the HDD this makes no sense. There would be no technical reason that I can think of to "remove" this information from the PVR and it started with the September firmware which was massively buggered.

It also means that our single recordings don't have any information, unless you set the recording at a time when the information is available (without hitting the info button to download).
I still have this same issue. Usually only 1 or 2 days have info, sometimes only 1 day. If in the guide I try to get info for a future day that doesn't initially show it, sometimes it will display it after a 30-second delay. But, even then, once that program is recorded the recording has no info., and virtually all my recorded programs have blank info.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I have a 640GB HD external SATA HD connected to the 8300.

I complained about this to Rogers last year, but not since then.

Should I ask to be upgraded to the newer PVR (8642?), or is that not possible or would that come with its own set of issues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've given up

I given up all hope of a resolution to this problem. Last time I talked to CSR, I was told my PVR had "weak memory" and the only solution was to upgrade to their problem plagued Netbox! I've had more intelligent conversations with my 5 year old grandson.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The last few weeks I've experienced three observed occasions when I cannot record (or pause). Rebooting solved the issue each time.
SARA version is (still) 1.93.16.1 and there were previously no such issues after the November 2012 upgrade.
Has there been an unnumbered patch recently (February) that could be causing this?
Anyone else?

I did experience some eHDD connectivity issues which I put down (after testing the eHDD on a Linux system to ensure that drive had not failed) to an issue with the HDMI cable/connector on the drive (a WDC and NexStar 3 combo which has been running without issues for three years). Reconnecting the HDMI cable avoiding an angle on the connection fixed that issue.
This is an interesting subject. Over the past month or so (could be longer because we were away for 7 weeks) my PVR has also seen some strange symptoms. First symptom noticed was that while viewing, could be recorded or live, the PVR would just hang up for minutes at a time. Rarely it would continue as if nothing happened but usually it it would reboot, but one time we had a message window pop up indicating that the connection to the external hard drive had terminated and would only be available after a reboot. The last few days we have found that when attempting to view a recorded show we'll get a message indicating, "you are either attempting to view a blank recording or your external device has disconnected."

My drive is 3+ years old so though that maybe it's time. I took it off the PVR and connected it to my Laptop to run the WDC diagnostics (non-destructive mode) and it has been running for several hours without issue.

I had reseated all the SATA connections between the drive and the back of the PVR a week or two ago but that didn't seem to help.

I remember in the past when there were drive issues and a recording couldn't be played you'd just drop back to the list we no error indication as I'm seeing now. Because of these new popups that I've never seen before and the fact you are also seeing issues seemly related to your xxt drive I wonder if they have changed something (and broken it) once again.

Anyone else?

Robin

·
Registered
26 Posts
On further thought, when I moved the eHDD to the laptop I had to toggle the power switch 2-3 times before I heard the drive spinup. Maybe there is an issue in drive box. I have a spare maybe I'll move the drive to it before I reconnect to the PVR.

Robin

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an interesting subject. Over the past month or so (could be longer because we were away for 7 weeks) my PVR has also seen some strange symptoms. First symptom noticed was that while viewing, could be recorded or live, the PVR would just hang up for minutes at a time. Rarely it would continue as if nothing happened but usually it it would reboot, but one time we had a message window pop up indicating that the connection to the external hard drive had terminated and would only be available after a reboot. The last few days we have found that when attempting to view a recorded show we'll get a message indicating, "you are either attempting to view a blank recording or your external device has disconnected."

My drive is 3+ years old so though that maybe it's time. I took it off the PVR and connected it to my Laptop to run the WDC diagnostics (non-destructive mode) and it has been running for several hours without issue.

I had reseated all the SATA connections between the drive and the back of the PVR a week or two ago but that didn't seem to help.

I remember in the past when there were drive issues and a recording couldn't be played you'd just drop back to the list we no error indication as I'm seeing now. Because of these new popups that I've never seen before and the fact you are also seeing issues seemly related to your xxt drive I wonder if they have changed something (and broken it) once again.

Anyone else?

Robin
I have a very similar problem. The difference is that I don't have an external HD, but I am getting the same error message with recordings on my internal HD (blank recording or device disconnected), and the inability to pause/rewind live TV. The list of recordings is still intact, and rebooting the PVR fixes everything, but rebooting seems to take longer than I remember (4-5 minutes).

This issue started for me just this past weekend, but it's been occurring pretty much every day, usually during the day while I'm at work, so it skips whatever recordings I had scheduled during the day. I just replaced the internal HD in December because the old one died due to the infamous HSUD issue with the older firmware, so I don't think my problems are due to a bad HD (at least I hope not). I've seen some other posts in this forum describing similar issues, so it looks like other people are running into this as well. Could this be HSUD redux?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
I noticed that programmes like Letterman, Leno, etc which used to be shown as ending at XX:35 are now showing "properly" as XX:37. This has been a long time coming, but it's great to see. Firmware version is still the same. Shows this way on both my SA8300HDs.

I have not tested the recording to see if it goes to XX:37 yet...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Ah, that's interesting. I'm seeing some in primetime too. Modern Family on Wednesday's is 9:00 to 9:31. Office on Thursday's on NBC from 9:00 to 9:31; Parks and Recreation from 9:31 to 10:01.

Is this part of a SARA upgrade, or just Rogers feeding better data to the IPG.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Exit Button Performs a different function

I tend to use my exit button on my 8300HD remote regularly; either to clear the progress bar at the bottom, or to exit from a panel, such as the recordings panel. As of yesterday, when I press exit it appears to jump back 10 secs or so in the recording.

Could this be related to new firmware or does anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: Weird timing with the firmware upgrade, but it appears the problem is that my remote bought the farm. I tried performing the same functions with an alternate compatible remote and all is well.

Can a firmware update kill a remote??

Nahhhh....

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Atlas based Rogers remotes are highly configurable. Perhaps the exit key has been inadvertently remapped to the skip back function.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Unless it can be remapped by accidentally sitting on it, I don't think that happened. The record button also appears to be malfunctioning. I think it just quit on me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same firmware, but the IPG contents are new. I'm guessing they changed providers, or perhaps their existing provider changed the data they're sending. Movie channels (off the top of my head, I'm thinking AMC, TCM, etc.) have vastly different descriptions than they used to. And, unfortunately, some infomercials are no longer labelled as such. (And I've also noticed that The Colbert Report now ends at 01:07 instead of 01:05, just as others have noted with other late-night shows.)

Worst, though, is that they've put a description on the PVR channel (950), so that if you're watching something that you've previously recorded and you hit the INFO button, it now tells you you're watching the PVR channel rather than displaying the info for the actual program you're watching.

I've tweeted to the Rogers Helps account asking them to fix the PVR channel and the infomercials - and also asked if they ever plan to fix the IPG bugs they introduced close to a year ago. As expected, all they said is that they'd pass the information along to the appropriate folks at Rogers. I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
I haven't seen that Info about ch 950. It still shows the info for the show I recorded.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
HiHoSilver: Me too, when watching a recording, there is no programme info and you have to go to the list if you're interested in seeing the info. I also noticed the much different movie descriptions - perhaps you're right about a new supplier.

One thing I don't like about the movie descriptions is that it doesn't show a year for TCM (and perhaps other channels). This is especially important for TCM since there are often several different versions of a movie that they could be showing, although the actors do typically provide a hint. It also makes my browsing of TCM slower since the date was an easy criterion for sorting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got the new programming info pushed to my 8300 this morning. Although it's nice the times are (theoretically) more correct than before, I too am unhappy with the lack of dates on movies and lack of show description when pressing the Info button during PVR playback. I guess it's time for me to call Rogers and add my voice to getting these features restored.

Still only a day or two of program information in the guide.....

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Still only a day or two of program information in the guide.....
Yeah, I used to go downstairs at 12:15AM to programme my PVR for the 7th day out so I wouldn't "forget" something.

Now when I programme, I do it for the 2nd day out, which always has info. When travelling, I'll do a week at a time via the web (Anyplace Home TV). The interesting thing is sometimes the info gets put with the recording and sometimes the information is missing from the recording and it's not whether there was info available for that particular day on the PVR - seems almost random...

The info is available on the web and I've even occasionally seen a programme listed for 8 days out (not in the guide, but under "additional airings" after I have a particular programme "up on screen").

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good news and bad news. It looks like we have our dates back, but they are at the end of the program description instead of the start, so the date gets lost on any descriptions that are longer than the space allowed, and you can't tell at a glance what the date is without hitting the Info button.

I'm also seeing some guide entries with completely incorrect information. For instance an episode of Seinfeld on the comedy channel this morning was listed as an episode of The Office, with the description being for the Seinfeld episode. I have noticed this with several shows over the past few days.

Still no program info for recorded shows while playing them back - very annoying.

Looks like business as usual for Rogers: One step forward, two steps back.....

41 - 60 of 170 Posts