Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had my current Buffalo router (running dd-wrt) for a few years now and while the connections (and it) are rock solid, I think all the in-house wireless streaming warrants an upgrade to N.

I would like a router that can run custom firmware (a la dd-wrt) but, strictly speaking, this isn't a requirement. Reliability / speed / stability of connections are requirements though.

I'm currently leaning in the direction of the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Something they would buy if they had to do it all over again, etc...?

TIA!!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
dd-wrt doesn't play particularly nice with 802.11N yet

I went with a linksys wrt310N, and the wireless is fairly unstable

spec wise it's fantastic, but it just isn't as reliable as the G flavour wrt boxes

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also have the WRT310N and use it with two USB610N adapters on my WDTV Live and old laptop.

I should say that this is my third 310N. The first one crapped out after an official linksys upgrade, and they sent me a new one. That one wouldn't hold a signal more than a few hours before having to be reset. The third one, I placed DD-WRT firmware on it. It was great for a few months - rock solid- but now I am getting signal dropouts every day. The dropouts are only for 40 seconds or so, but annoying nonetheless.

I don't really notice any transfer speed increases with it, so I may just revert back to G speed, as it does seem to be more reliable.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... maybe it's not time to move up to wireless N quite yet.

I'll take my slower but rock solid connection over faster but unstable any day of the week.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've got the D-Link DIR-625 and have used it for years. Great little router that's rock solid. The only times I've had to reboot is an annoying configuration setting that insist on reboots for silly things.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I have a Dlink DIR-601 which is N with the newly accepted specs. It works great and my niece was able to connect her EEPC through the N portion while my wife had her laptop connected to the G side of the router. It never stalled or choked on anything that we threw at it. I think it also supports the dd-wrt you are looking for, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am too looking to replace my Dlink 614+. Looking at the Staples and FS sites and the customer reviews. Everyone hates or loves every single product, no clear cut winner. Even the Dlink PCMag liked, DIR825, there were some people who hated it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you have an old computer around you could build a great gateway / router. Untangle or ClearOS 5.1 are both excellent, it'll beat the pants off those Linksys devices. I use ClarkConnect (now ClearOS) and it's great, my AP is an Apple Airport Express 802.11n but any AP will work.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Interesting about the 310N being so unstable. I have a 610N and it's rock solid. I was using a DIR-825, but was having all sorts of difficulty getting it to play nice with my Windows Home Server. Otherwise, another solid router.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Interesting about the 310N being so unstable. I have a 610N and it's rock solid. I was using a DIR-825, but was having all sorts of difficulty getting it to play nice with my Windows Home Server. Otherwise, another solid router.
Someone said the Cisco WRT160, 310 and 400 were good. Looking at user feedback on the FS and BB sites it seems the 160 and 310 suck but no one panned the 400, so I went with that one. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update;

I decided to go with a Time Capsule (which is essentially and Airport Extreme with a hardrive). N seems to work great on this (based on what I have heard - not time to install mine yet).

I'm going to try and use my current Buffalo to extend the range of the a/g portion of my network.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Before you install DD-WRT, please read this information in the link below...

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/07/millions-of-soho-routers-vulnerable-to-new-version-of-old-attack.ars

It has been my experience that Linksys routers just don't seem as robust as D-Link routers. I've heard that Netgear routers are OK, but I've never tried them. That's not to say that I favour one router over another, it's just what I have seen over many years of replacing routers almost every two years. Your results may vary.

None of them are as configurable as a DD-WRT router, but maybe someday, the main manufacturers will allow advanced users access to the settings that they seek.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time Capsule (Airport Extreme) Router Impressions

Initial impressions of the time capsule; wow, what a cool product.

The good; extremely easy to set up, seems to be pretty solid so far, wireless N perforce is really nice (although I haven't put it through it's paces fully yet) and the user interface is simple to navigatve once you starting thinking in "apple".

The bad; no QoS (I knew this going in). WTH were / are apple thinking? I understand adding this functionality to a router isn't trivial but if I understand correctly they are using a BSD based micro-kernel and BSD does amazing QoS. Having QoS would make this a real great router.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Dlink more robust than linksys? I thinks you've fallen on your head hard ;)

in my line of work, i've thrown out more dlink's than I could count. especially tons of 614, and 704s

their switches have been good, but their routers have been absolute dog poo

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Unless you really need wireless N, a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT installed is an extremely solid router. I'm not sure about how the new security vulnerabilities affect it but my experience is that they will be addressed by the DD-WRT developers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Security concerns with dd-wrt are esentially non-existent if you are using a relatively recent release (check the web-site for details), and have taken basic security precautions.

1. Use strong passwords
2. Change the default SSID
3. Disable remote (WAN) management access
4. disable telnet (use SSH if possible)
5. use WPA2 or WPA... not WEP!

The Linksys WRT54G-L is a rock-solid performer with dd-wrt installed and properly configured !

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I just replaced a WRT54GL with a Linksys 610N due to inteference on the 2.4GHz band affecting Airport Express streaming. No issues so far with streaming and the iPad, iPhone, and PS3 are all playing nicely.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Reading, from what I can tell, a WZR-HP-G300NH runs basically a custom version of DD-WRT.

For any router, just set the router password to other than default.

Now, for my business, I bought a Belkin F5D8236-4 from Wal-Mart yesterday.

My understanding is it cannot run DD-WRT, but I don't really need any features from that anyways.

Setup is easy, and the N speed is decent. I transferred some files from my netbook on wireless to my wired linux box, and it transferred at 4MB/Sec, where my G router would tramsfer below 2 MB/Second.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts