Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a manufacturer refurbished bell 5900 from a bell dealer, once power up it goes right to the satellite pointing screen I am getting 98% (in red) on transponders 11 & 13 but it continues to say wrong satellite. To make it clear I disconnected the satellite cable feeding my 2700 that is pointed directly at bell 91 with no switches. The 2700 works no problem but if I put it to the 5900 the dish pointing screen comes on after the receiver boots up and the 98% signal strength is in red, I have done a check switch and it does see 91 & 91 but it still stays red and says "wrong satellite" below the signal strength meter. I have stuck the bell card in & out many times, unplugged the unit many times, held the power button down for 10 seconds to do a reset but nothing seems to help. While it is on this screen I can not get into the menu or it wont allow me to exit this screen. also I have tried putting the check mark in both the 91 & 82 boxes while doing a check switch and signal strength test, nothing seems to work. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try doing a check switch and see if that helps. By any chance make sure the firmware logo says BELL and not Dish Network.
I have done a check switch many times, the firmware logo is dishnet but once I put the card in it changes to bell

·
Registered
699 Posts
that is your problem....the firmware is setup for dishnetwork. It only recognizes the Dish Network satellites as "good".

Take that receiver back to where you got it and trade it in. Its pretty useless unless you know how to reset the firmware.

Try calling up bell and ask them if they can reset the firmware for you somehow.

Is that card originally from that receiver?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Leave the receiver hooked up to a known Bell line and turn it OFF. After a few minutes it should start to download the Bell Firmware.

·
Registered
699 Posts
it gets the firmware via the satellite not the phone line actually. :) (unless you meant known bell sat line)

Bell would have to force a firmware to his box..they just need the details...box number etc....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leave the receiver hooked up to a known Bell line and turn it OFF. After a few minutes it should start to download the Bell Firmware.
do you mean a telephone line ? I did keep it in the bell 91 stream all night but still nothing.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It needs to be connected to a known Bell Satelitte feed, sorry for not being specific.

It must be turned OFF to download Firmware, not unplugged from the hydro, just turned OFF via the Remote.

Bell cannot activate it unless it has the newest Firmware, what version is on the Receiver now.? Pull the Smart Card and read it off the System Info Screen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you still have to call bell and activate the receiver...have you?
I called them last night to activate it and after 2 hours of it doing nothing I called the bell tech line and the asked me the usual...signal strenght....check switch....unplug....ect. Then at the end he tells me the receiver is defective and to take it back. I was not too impressed because I felt I was more on the ball then him, sounded like an off shore tech.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Pinza: it will not update the firmware on its own because it does not recognize the satellite as "good". The firmware would only accept updates from Dishnetwork in its current state. Thats my understanding of how it works.

I think the memory would have to be wiped for it to work. That is why I think a bell tech is his best bet as they can tell him what he can do to get it to work.

edit..just read your reply there.... wow they are useless....you must tell them you have the wrong firmware and need it updated. Unless they knew that and know they cant do anything remotely to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no he did not ask me the firmware, I know when I have called over the years about other issues they normally ask what is the firmware. Do you think they can change it remotely, it would save me a huge hassle because it was purchase through an online dealer and it is suposed to be an X-Mas gift.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It cannot be changed remotely, it used to be done by shorting out 2 points on the Motherboard, many years ago, it was called "The Junkyard Fix" because lots of Receivers ended up in the Junkyard.....lol

Once again, what firmware is on the Receiver.?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That is why I think a bell tech is his best bet as they can tell him what he can do to get it to work.
A Bell Tech cannot do anything IF it has Dish Firmware, he cannot even swap out the receiver as they no longer carry Bell 5900 SD PVR's as part of their stock.

Ship it back, get it replaced.

·
Registered
699 Posts
that sucks dude...:(.

Maybe someone will come along that knows more about these things than me. From my limited knowledge the firmware has to be wiped from memory to be able to accept a new firmware when changing from Dishnetwork to Bell.

Try calling again and let them know what the issue is and see what they say.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It does not have to be wiped, just corrupted, hence the JYF.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont know what the firmware is now because I have disconected ready to ship back, all I can remember is when the card was not in the card the screen had a Dishnet logo but when I inserted the bell card it changed to a bell logo and the firmware did not change

·
Registered
699 Posts
it amazes me that they even managed to get it activated without checking his firmware.

I would actually wipe and write on the old 2700 I had.... but those had jtag ports ;).

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If is shows Dish without the Card and Bell with the Card, it has Factory Virgin Software, it does not have Dish Firmware. This is why I asked twice for the Firmware Version info....

If it is 'active' on the account, you might have problems getting it replaced without removing it from your account first.

As it is "New to you, Refurbished" from a Bell Retailer, why not ask Bell to ship out a replacement, it is under warranty after all, even though it is Refurbished.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts