Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick question. I've been to two big box retailers in Windsor this morning and neither has had a rep who can answer my question 100%. My father has an old HTIB (Samsung HT-P38) I gave him when I upgraded. Now the DVD/Receiver has crapped out on and he wants to purchase a new receiver only. He likes the sound and small size of the speakers that came with this old unit. Will any receiver work or will they blow out all his speakers? I am not to good with the whole understanding of ratings and loads when it comes to speakers so here is the specs of the ones he has now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5076049810/

He is not looking for anything to fancy, just something 5.1 with an optical input and maybe a few HDMI for future use. He also has a Sony DVD player with an optical out he will use for DVD.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I forsee three problems:

1. The speaker impedance is 3ohms. I'll let somebody more experienced chime in on this, but this could present a challenge.
2. The speaker connection on the receiver end is proprietary. It looks like the speakers can accept normal speaker wire (a very thin gauge though), so you could purchase new speaker wire.
3. You didn't mention it in your post, but seeing as how the unit is a receiver + DVD player, your father will need to purchase a DVD or Blu-ray player in addition to the A/V receiver.

Depending on budget, and if 3ohm speakers won't work at all, I would suggest an entry-level 5.1 speaker package from Klipsch or Polk Audio. These speakers are small but would most definitely sound better than the Samsung.

Pair either of those with a Pioneer receiver, and you're set! (+ cables & speaker wire of course)

Having said all of that, this configuration may not be as user-friendly as the HTiB he's familiar with. The all-in-one units definitely have an advatage as far as simplicity.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Although HTiB speakers can be used with an AVR, it's not recommended, as discussed in the following thread on speaker impedance.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62722 post 12 onwards...

Also, most HTiBs don't have a real (powered) subwoofer, which would be a requirement of a proper AVR, 5.1 setup. Suggestion - new AVR, new 5.1 speakers (or new HTiB)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ (Post #2)
I added to my first post that he does already have a Sony Upconverting DVD player. Also, on the end of the speaker wire where they connect to the rear of the old reciever can be cut off to achieve the positive and negative wire required for a new reciever.

Thanks for your reply

Thanks 57... reading into it now

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I added to my first post that he does already have a Sony Upconverting DVD player. Also, on the end of the speaker wire where they connect to the rear of the old reciever can be cut off to achieve the positive and negative wire required for a new reciever.
Good points.

I edited my original post to include more info.

Also, most HTiBs don't have a real (powered) subwoofer, which would be a requirement of a proper AVR
57 guessed correctly - the subwoofer is passive.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little more about the set-up for those who are interested.

It's located in the "Men's Crisis Center" aka one of the many barns at their farm and is 40' X 55' (many uses include indoor car wash, bar, pool / ping pong hall, floor hockey rink, parties, etc). It currently has a 60" (I Believe) Toshiba RPTV, with a Bell 6131 using Optical for 5.1 and the perviously mentioned HTIB. It's our sports bar for family on Saturday Nights (Hockey) and Sundays (Football). He likes the sound of what he had because it was loud enough to get the 5.1 sound of sports without being over powering where no one can talk in a normal voice.

So, he doesn't want to spend a ton since its not in the house. I've been on Kijiji the last few days looking to no avail.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Based on your location, I'd expand my search to south of the border. Could present many more options.

·
Registered
519 Posts
With the subwoofer and speaker issues, you would be best just buying another HTIB in my opinion. I don't think you can find a receiver that could handle 3 ohm speakers yet have minimal power to not blow them.

A used one or maybe place an ad in craigslist for someone to donate, since it's for a charity type organization.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm guessing the the "Men's Crisis Centre" isn't quite a registered charity although, by the sound of it, it definitely provides a vital community service.

Maybe a bucket-pass, or 50/50 draw among the membership would allow a modest upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts