Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently own an HK 645 that is starting to have the audo disconnect permanently when I skip through commercials on my pvr. Now, normally, during audo dropouts, the receiver more or less resets the audio and then locks back in, however now it stays disconnected and I have to completely power it off and restart it, which leads to having to reset all my settings in it.

Pain in the lower regions

So, outside of getting it fixed, my question is what receivers out there now allow a person to fine tune the settings in the receiver like I do in this situation, due to audio dropouts through HDMI with Sasktel Max, I have my stb hooked to the 645 up via HDMI for video, but I use an optical cable for the audio as it doesn't dropout near the amount as with using the audio through the HDMI. The 645 allows me to use audio from any of the available audio inputs for any video input, not sure why, but in the case I have with Max, it works as the dropouts aren't near as much as they are with usng the HDMI cable.

Are there other receivers that allow this type of flexibility?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
I'm pretty sure that any of the major brands that would handle HDMI audio, would also allow you to assign any audio input to the HDMI video input you're using for the HDMI from the STB. Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, etc.

In addition to the assignment of course is the fact that the AVR must be able to be told to use the optical (or whatever) input instead of the HDMI audio signal (if one were present from the STB). However, again, any of the HDMI audio receivers that I've dealt with allow for this "priority setting". This would be used instead of the "auto" setting, which would set the priority as HDMI, then digital, then analogue.

The AVRs can handle this in a number of different ways - some have a "table" which indicates what inputs are to be used for a particular input selection. Others may use the "priority setting" which would indicate to the AVR to either use "auto" or digital or analogue or something to that effect. You can usually tell by going into the user menu options of the AVRs to see how this is handled.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, looking at the time, if you're posting from Ontario, it's would be close to 2 am.......

I do like the flexibility in this recever, but given the issue I'm having now, combine with the advancments made since this first came out, it might just make it an easier sell to the mrs. to upgrade instead of repair, depending upon of course the cost of a repair.

I also wouldn't want to give up on the fine video upconversion chip in this unit if I upgraded. I guess that's what you get when you purchase top line piece of equipment, quality stays relevant for quite some time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts