·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Shaw Morotorla HD box
LG Plasma TV (1HDMI in 1HDMI out)
Denon AVR 591

We just picked up a new receiver with the intentions of running HDMI cables to it and then one to the tv. All components work except for the Shaw motorola HD box. It doesn't have an HDMI port but rather a DVI port. We previously had a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other and it connected the shaw box to the tv and worked without issue. We ran seperate audio to the receiver. Other devices ran off component or similar cables.

Now, we connected that dvi>hdmi cable to the receiver and then the receiver to the tv, but we're not getting picture. It'll flash as if it's trying, but not giving a proper picture.

I connected it up via component and that functioned fine. Other devices work through the receiver via hdmi, so i'm assuming it's this cable but we have no other options. Is there any known issues with using this DVI>HDMI cable?

The receiver only has one component input on it, which we intended on using for the xbox, so unless we connect something directly to the tv....we're short an input?

Thoughts?

Note: I struggled to give a proper explanation, so if anything here isn't clear, please let me know.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your LG TV only has one HDTV input it sounds like it is probably on older model.... you may be experiencing some issues with the HDMI handshake or with the HDCP copy protection from the Shaw box.....
One solution might be to get a component switch where you can plug the two devices into that and then connect the switch to your single input on the TV.
Go visit our friends at Monoprice and look for product ID 3027 (4 Port Component Video Switch w/ IR Learning). If you do a search in the forums for Monoprice you will know why I recommend them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Or, just connect XBox (or cable box) directly to TV's component IN. I'm guessing that there would be a couple of component IN on the TV.

If that's a pain for you, the component switch is your other option.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think thats the solution. Connect shaw box to the tv via component (since he already has RCA's going to the receiver) and then connect the XBox to the receiver via component. Requires one more component cable, but should work out well enough in the end.

Thanks for the help folks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts