Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please use this thread to post any new Canadian AM/FM radio stations which come on air or to post any stations that change their format.

This thread is not for discussion, just information. Please create a separate thread to discuss the new station or format and link to it from this thread.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HALIFAX - Launching today at 8 a.m. AT, the current adult contemporary station LITE 92.9 will change its format to the new 92.9 JACK FM, a broad-based, mainstream music station that will play a large library of popular songs from more than a dozen styles of music spanning four decades.

Press Release.

·
Registered
160 Posts
103.9 More FM in London has "Gone Country" and is now known as Country 104. Be interesting to see how they fare, going up against long time country station BX-93.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Guess this one qualifies. Up 97.7 in Calgary has shifted to an "upbeat" playlist consisting of music from the 80s to today (call it a a mix between CHR / Adult Contemporary).

No more 60s and 70s music, and pretty much a carbon copy of KISS 95.9

Sent using radio waves of some sort

·
Registered
608 Posts
Apparently there is going to be a country music station coming to Welland, Ont.

'On December 9, 2013, R.B Communications Ltd., the owner of CIXL-FM, submitted an application to operate a new country music FM radio station at Welland. If approved, the new station will operate at 89.1 MHz.'

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Winnipeg - Jewel 101

I saw some Jewel 101 billboards and did some checking.

Jewel 101 (located at 100.7) is an Adult Contemporary Variety format featuring the best of yesterday and today with classic hits from the 70's, 80's, 90's and today. CFJL-FM previously was "The Breeze".

http://www.jewelradio.com/new/101/

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I currently can receive a test transmission, on 88.5MHz this evening. No audio ID, RDS, or HD Radio to aid in identification. Signal strength on my Grundig shows 21dBu. It is in stereo as indicated on the Grundig.

Since I face west-north-west, I suspect the KW area...

There is a station from the Barrie area on that same frequency, but it's weak into this location, whereas this is much stronger and has total capture.

Anyone else?

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^ No. Jewel 88.5 I can get here, but very weak, it's transmitter isn't in Toronto, but north.

The carrier vanished abruptly early this morning and the frequency has only had Jewel 88.5 today.

I first noticed the new signal yesterday about mid day.

My first thought was it could have been an in-car relay for an ipod or some such device. But it's timing wasn't consistent with how it appeared (quite suddenly while I was tuning) and it's abrupt termination this morning. If it was mobile, I would have heard it flutter and eventually fade away.

I'll keep checking to see if it reappears.

Cameron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jump 106.9 is basically Hot 89.9 & Kiss FM combined as one station?
No. Kiss FM leans adult. Both HOT and Jump! are mainstream CHR. The packaging of Jump! is more younger end though, and the rotations are heavier. I find the music scheduling on Jump! to be superior. I don't feel like I'm listening to a station forced to play less than 50% hits like I do when I listen to Kiss and HOT.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jump has been playing a more repetitive pure top40 style playlist. If you listen for more than a few hours it feels way more repetitive than their competitors, but that means more people who tune in at any given moment will hear a current chart topper. 100% of their playlist is pulled from the billboard hot 100 charts.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts