Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Quebec City Arena: if they build it, will they come?

• No, the NHL will still not come back to Quebec City

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Yes, an existing team will move there (which one?)

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Yes, and expansion team will start up there

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Add to that the changes to the NHL's financing formula that addressed the inequalities facing the Canadian teams and you have a further breakage of that comparison with Winnipeg's past.

·
Banned
844 Posts
The Predators are still in Nashville; the Coyotes are still in Phoenix.
The only reason they are still there is because Bettman (or more specifically the owners who put him in power) don't want any more teams in Canada even though the Canadian teams generate more revenue then most of the American ones.

I don't get these jokers, they would rather keep teams in markets where the game is not accepted by fans and as a result the teams are losing money hand over fist, instead of putting teams in strong hockey markets where they will be successful?! Most people in Phoenix or Florida don't give a crap about hockey so why are they trying to force the game on them?! Move some teams to other markets where hockey is accepted like Portland or Seattle and get rid of the remaining teams that are in non-hockey markets.

·
Registered
469 Posts
PK Peladeau of Videotron, announces today that the company will manage and operate the futur Colisée. Still no money from a private investor for the construction of the building.
Videotron will rent the place and will give back a part of the profits to the city. I still do not agree that taxpayers pay for a building like this one for the profit of a major company.
Canadian taxpayers don't have to worry as Harper still doesn't want to use your money in this. I like the fact that Harper didn't bent in front of the pressure coming from Quebec City mayor, Labeaume.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
An interesting comment this morning on the FAN590 (Toronto) AM radio was that if Phoenix and Atlanta were to relocate to Canada, there would be corresponding dilution on CBC to Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. Toronto and Montreal would not likely see any decline in coverage.

I expect that those teams might not like that aspect to more teams in Canada.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Unless the newer Atlanta team ends up in Calgary like the last one.... I like Byfuglien; I'd like to see him a Calgary Thrasher uniform. Like "Flames" "Thrashers" also works there. Maybe the Flames and Thrashers merge and Byfuglien becomes a Flame -- even better.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Winnipeg has the MTS Center, which while small, could take on an NHL team (if Montreal Alouettes and Green Bay can do it, so can Winnipeg), and as has close to doing so, but so far no mass.

IMHO, QC was better off building a 30,000-45,000 muti purpose CFL stadium to get a team in that than it should try the NHL, but there u go.

Money is also better spent on new CFL stadiums in places like Hamilton, and improving the summer sports in Canada.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts