Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just semi-installed a Panasonic 4000 projector, and a 100 inch Grandview 16:9 fixed mount screen, Matte white, 1.0 gain. I am in a basement with good light control. Just wondering on the mounting distance for the Panny. I have done all the calculators at projector central and it shows 13 feet. I have the option of perhaps moving it closer say 12 or 11 feet to increase my brightness. Seating will be around 12-14 feet. Looking for opinions. Move it closer to get a bit brighter image or leave it at recommended distance.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**Just a note for those who are curious, the picture quality is excellent with Blu Ray, right out of the box in cinema 1 mode, exceeded my expectations. Screen was very easy to assemble too, good build quality. Haven't tried my hd satellite yet but hopefully by tonight. Would highly recommend to anyone who can control the light and of course has the space. Very excited and rewarding. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Good rules of thumb are to mount it 2/3 of the zoom distance. From smallest image to largest image ... Closer to the smaller image end ... means the projector is further back and that is most desirable.

Lenses tend not to be at their sharpest focus at the extremes, but the further back you put it, the crisper the image gets.

regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Michael,

I went and mounted it pretty close to 13 feet, good results, but wish I had read your reply :)

You still doing callibrations for the folks around Calgary?? This projector is way too tweakable for me to do properly.

Another question if you'll indulge me... I have a small bar fridge down here in my basement and when it kicks off, it makes my receiver ( Onkyo 3008) click and drop the sound for half a second. I thought they were on seperate circuits but have to check my breaker box and wiring diagram. Is a power conditioner/surge protector going to alleviate this or do I need a voltage regulator, or some other device. I don't think re-wiring is an option at this point!!

Not sure if you delve into this area but I thought I'd ask. :)

Serious about the calibration though, let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts