Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polk Keeps Up Pace Of Product Rollouts
By Joseph Palenchar -- TWICE, 8/16/2010
Baltimore - Polk Audio, which will ship more than 80 new products before the year is out, will continue the momentum early next year when it delivers a stepped-up flagship line of in-room home speakers and two new passive SurroundBar systems.
The Hitmaster was released earlier this year in order to accomodate the gamers but this is not the end of it!

Polk has been busy redesigning their Flagship from top to bottom. They are also coming out with 2 new SurroundBar offer. Not the least, a new comer in the RM series will use top of the line drivers and technology :cool:

http://www.twice.com/article/456024-Polk_Keeps_Up_Pace_Of_Product_Rollouts.php

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Polk Introduces New Flagship LSiM Home Audio Speaker Lineup

Much better looking than its predecessor the Lsi15 and Lsi25, Polk introduces a completely new design with the new LsiM Flagship.

The series, targeted to ship in January, tops out with a four-way floorstanding tower at a tentative $4,000/pair, up from the LSI series' current top-end $2,500/pair. The series will also include a second four-way floorstanding towers targeted at $3,000/pair, two three-way center-channel speakers, a three-way bookshelf speaker, a three-way bipole surround, and a subwoofer.

Engineering VP Stu Lumsden cited multiple reasons for the ground-up redesign, including the improved quality of prerecorded source material, demand from existing LSi owners, the availability of new engineering tools to step up performance, and a desire to offer a "gateway" for consumers into the high end.

The development effort, added product management VP Mark Suskind, will deliver speakers that perform like models at twice the price.

To achieve that goal, Polk incorporated multiple new elements, including flat-diaphragm racetrack (or Cassini oval) subwoofer drivers in the four-way towers to boost bass performance while delivering a narrow-cabinet design. Other enhancements include separate downfiring ports for each of the woofers, 1mm-thick zero-diffraction magnetic grilles, new crossover designs with as few components as possible to minimize sonic artifacts, and new cone material, called Super Cell Aerated polypropylene, to deliver higher stiffness with lower density and improved damping.

The LSi M series will be targeted to independent retailers and installers and some larger retailers capable of demonstrating and explaining the products, Newhall said. "It's not a national retailer type of products." Distribution might be more restrictive than current LSi series distribution, he added. The current series is available on some on-line sites.
http://www.polkaudio.com/partners/press.php?id=96

Polk Audio team and top tower speaker LsiM.gif

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Sound and Vision Mag

Very nice article from the press conference at Polk HQ last week (Wednesday I believe??) on the new Polk offering.

As I perused the latest Polk speakers at the company’s Baltimore HQ last week, I felt I’d been transported to a more civilized age—to an era before the low end of the speaker market was taken over by HTiBs and soundbars...
LSi M is the first update of the top-of-the-line LS series in nine years. The line includes two tower speakers, two center speakers, a bookshelf speaker, and a surround speaker. For audio enthusiasts, these qualify as midpriced speakers: The top model, the LSi M 707 tower, will run around $4K per pair, and the bookshelf LSi M 703 will be about $1,500 per pair. (Both are pictured at the beginning of this article.)
Blackstone TL: the new minis

Polk carries some of the same design concepts into the new Blackstone TL series, a line of subwoofer/satellite systems. The TL series comprises three new miniature satellite speakers, each of which can be purchased separately, plus three new center speakers to match. The smallest and most affordable satellite, the $79-each TL1, is already available at Best Buy.

For this event, Polk demoed the $99-each TL2, which improves on the TL1 with better drivers and a PowerPort. The TL2 seemed to deliver excellent dynamics and bass response for its size; despite its tiny 3.5-inch woofer, it had no problem blending with the 10-inch subwoofer Polk used for the demo. That’s something few small satellites I’ve heard can do. Metal plates embedded in the molded enclosure minimize extraneous vibration.

The model you’ll probably be most interested in, though, is the “under $200 each” TL3 (pictured above left), which is pretty much the Dynamic Sonic Engine from the LSi M series....
Vanishing Series: the new ceiling speakers

Polk even brought the general concept of the Dynamic Sonic Engine into its new line of Vanishing Series ceiling speakers, which were shown at last January’s CES but demoed here for the first time. The Vanishing Series ceiling speakers mount their woofers in a “throat” behind a 0.75-inch tweeter and a 3.5-inch midrange driver, somewhat similar in appearance to the Dynamic Sonic Engine. The midrange angles down 15°...
F/X Wireless: the new concept in surround speakers

Last week’s event also marked the first demo of the final version of the F/X Wireless Surround, a $399 system that combines an internally powered wireless speaker and a transmitter that connects to your A/V receiver. The speaker combines four 2.5-inch full-range drivers, a 5.25-inch woofer in a ported enclosure, 100 watts of total amplification, a digital signal processor, and a 2.4 GHz receiver...
http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag....:+typepad/soundandvision/bitstream+(Bitstream

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blackstone TL1 specs are out...

In the quote below, you will find the specs for the TL1s which will be available in the US this fall.

Not sure if its been asked but besides the Blackstone TL2, did they also get a chance to demo the TL1? Just wondering if even this entry-level model is a huge step up from the current RM series or a little too similar to bother upgrading to.

(reason i ask is i believe its the TL1 series that will be available ahead)

EDIT: The TL1 series is already posted on the site - http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tl/
I have done a little comparision and here is my thinking so far:

Topper, it depends which RM series you own, the most recents (RM75, 85 & 95) seems to have the same drivers and tweeters (same size & power rating) and efficiency is still 89db. However, the overall response is slightly lower for the RM75, 85 & 95 (95hz) when compared with the new TL1 (120hz).

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rm2008/specs.php

However, if you were to own the vintage RM10s and RM20s (which I own), the tweeter is slightly bigger along with the mid driver which is 3.5" versus 2.5" (however same type of construction material) . Of course, the overall frequency goes down to 80 hz on the vintage RMs versus the 120 hz of the TL1 and the efficiency for the 10s are 125w and 150w for the RM20s

As far as I am concerned, except for the new look and the lense technology on the TL1s, I don't see any advantage to move to the TL1. Unless the TL2s and/or TL3s provide substantial differences in efficiency than my RM10s & RM20s series, I think the TLs are no go for me. The aluminium enclosure is also a big factor with the RM10s and RM20s when compared to plastic enclosures (at least when compared to the RM75, 85, 95s ) However, once they (TL3s) become available in store such as Future Shop (your equivalent of BB), I wouldn't mind to A/B full set of each. IMHO, since Polk has moved away from the RM10s and RM20s to the RM75, 85 & 95, I figure it was a move backward and unfortunately, it doesn't seem Polk has taken the opportunity to move back forward with the TLs (unless of course the TL2 & 3s are different???).

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...cent/rm20pack/

However, for new buyers (don't own any RMs yet) the new TL series may be an opportunity for them to buy a little more luxury satellite and hopefully with better SQ than the RM75, 85 & 95s???

Now, keep in mind I never physically yet seen or auditionned any of the TLs at this time so take my above comments very lightly. As I pointed out, I intend to do some A/B comparision if at all possible in due time (just out of curiosity since at this point, I don't see any advantage to replace my present series (RM10s, RM20s and RM30s) for the new comers).

Cheers!
TK

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now the TL2s are out, check the review from tone audio (tone publications), quite impressive (however as a technician I would advise to stay away from the PSW111 as from my research there is a good history of amp failure. If you want to stay with Polk I can recommend the PSW110 as I did not noticed any failure and owning one my self I can attest to the reliability). Start reading th PDF p. 96 down to 100; http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_035.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts