Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a panasonic T-CP50G25; the seller said I should leave it on for a minimum 7 days non-stop; running 24/7. yet I don't see anything about it in the users manual.

What is best?

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Here's the FAQ on burn-in and break-in:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

Break In

Some people recommend operating a plasma (burning/breaking it in) for 100-200 hours to prevent future burn in. This is simply not true - it would be equivalent to putting your car on rollers for the first 5,000km instead of driving it properly. Taking the plasma off the default "torch mode" is the most important thing to do, and then watch it (and optimize it at some point) as discussed above. Operating a TV while not watching is also a waste of energy.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
the seller said I should leave it on for a minimum 7 days non-stop; running 24/7.
Who's the seller??? I'm assuming it'd be from a retailer...?

·
Registered
144 Posts
there is no need to do this unless you want to increase your hydro bill. "burning in" a TV is an old rule we used to say for CRT before watching it (30min to stabilize before doing serious viewing) or before calibrating it ~150-200hrs because the most changes with CRT (aka "drift") would happen in this period. CRT wasn't a stable technology. These rules do not apply to Plasma/LCD. I wish people would stop spreading this information as necessity. It's simply incorrect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always laugh when I read people complaining on other forums that they can't watch their new tv as it's being used for the 100 hour burn-in & can't be viewed until it's done. Turn it on & enjoy it. If anything try to watch mostly full screen stuff initially during that period of time but you won't hurt your tv. On my third plasma now with out ever running slides & no issues. Panny 50G20 BTW.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
at factory level, any plasma TV usually already have about 70 hours of power-on time anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
My plasma break-in steps.

1. Calibrate.
2. Enable the burn-in functions (pixel-shift, orbit etc).
3. Enable the screen saver.
4. Enable no activity shut-down.
5. Enjoy.

These are all explained in the manual.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My TV recommends "balanced usage". If you watch a few hours of widescreen material with top and bottom black bars then balance it out with roughly an even amount of full screen active material. This is to promote even wear.

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
filper, that is not necessary. With varied viewing on these new plasmas, simply watching TV appropriately is all you need to do. "Washing" simply uses power unnecessarily and wears your TV, as indicated in the link in post 2.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've only used the built in "pixel burner" once after inadvertently falling asleep while watching the PVR.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Just plain use it and vary the material ... no time wasted on burn in discs ... or wasting energy ...

regards

·
Banned
220 Posts
I got my panny G25 on THX mode with everything on default except I brought the contrast down to 50 instead of 60, because I heard for the first 150 hours the contrast should be at 50 or less, but so far amazing TV. I turned it on Vivid and it blew me away ( thats what I am gonna use and tweak it a bit for regular HD viewing). So far I have a 100 hours on the TV. I did watch everything with logo's stretched and zoomed. So in 50 more hours I am gonna use my xbox 360 and set it on game mode for 2 hours a day of gaming and tweak Vivid mode. Does this sound like all proper care?

Also I notice a slight buzz too, but it's very small even on Vivid mode and when I mute the TV, I have to put my head behind the TV to hear it and it sounds electrical, but since I watch with the volume on 15, I can barely hear it unless I focus my mind on it. I also heard that after a few months this buzz should go away or reduce, is that true? I have it connected to a surge power bar.

Also the TV is on 12 hours a day and I am watching OTA and Blu rays, so 4 more
days to go .

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Do not EVER use vivid setting for any of your TV regardless it's LCD, plasma, CRT, or anything in between and beyond. Currently your brain is associating BRIGHT = GOOD although in reality it's very very wrong. Vivid is only there for showroom purpose because the showroom is usually extremely bright (close to outdoor brightness).

At the very maximum, any TV's brightness should be no more than 45 ftL which THX mode is around that brightness level.

As far as surge power bar, what kind do you use? The rule of thumb is that what kills electronics is more brown-out (too low of a voltage) rather than surge. What I always recommend to all of my client is to get an automatic voltage regulator. This will prolong you TVs (and electronics) more than a anti-surge power bar. Just view anti-surge power bar to be no more than glorified extension cord, especially when they cost is in the viscinity of $20 or lower.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Hold on I said I am gonna tweak the vivid mode by reducing some of the contrast to around 80-85 instead of the 100 it is set on, also reduce some brightness and increase a bit of the color and thats it.

This is what I plan to do, for games I am gonna leave it on the game mode that's on the panny G25, For standard content or content
with bars I will have THX mode for that with cool 1 settings, and for HD viewing with the full screen I will use Vivid on 83 for contrast,
lower brightness, and color on a bit higher and some other tweaks to the way I like. I will set it to my liking and it won't be torch mode
with contrast at 100. I like THX but I have found some other settings to my liking, everybody likes different pictures and sounds, I like
a bit more colors and sharper image. Also game mode ( which is recommeded on the panny manual to use for video games that have
bars everywhere, are very bright and close to vivid) So My HD viewing will be sub Vivid, and standard will be THX.

Also my brother has a LCD in his room made by LG thats 3 years old and my brother has set everything to a 100 except brightness
and it's working perfect, lol funny thing is when I showed him my plasma he almost passed out, now I think he is gonna buy a G25 lol.

I have a 20 dollar 2500 Joules Surge protector, I am not gonna buy a monster one for 500 dollars.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have all of my settings OTA, HDMI and Component set to THX. Even in a room with full Southern exposure, it looks great day and night.

It's your personal preference, but that seems like a lot of adjusting between inputs.

My 50G25 might have 100 hours on it by now.

The 'buzz' is not distracting and I am sure normal for the set.

You should consider some form of bias light for night time viewing. I found it made a big difference to viewing comfort.

·
Banned
220 Posts
THX is gonna be for DVD, standard stuff with bars. Game mode for my console and a lower Vivid tweaked with lower settings for Blu rays and Full HD content, So game will
already be set, and I will only set between THX ( with cool 1 setting), and Vivid ( with lowered settings but to my liking). Also make your THX with 50 contrast now for the first 150 or 200 hours, I am watching everything at THX with 50 contrast for the first 150 or so hours until I use even game mode and then do my calibrating.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
ontherooftop, in several threads discussing the same topic, you seem to ignore every piece of advice given to you about how to care for & calibrate your TV. This forum is chock full of very knowlegeable people, but their knowledge is only valuable if you listen to their advice. Enjoy your new TV. It sounds like you're happy with your purchase, but it also sounds like a lot of unnecessary work when really you should just sit down, relax, and enjoy the show :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts