Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some advice and feedback : I currently have a toshiba MT200 setup with a 92'' screen . I have had this for around 4 years or so , and am looking to upgrade to something newer and much better.

As of now I'm looking at the Epson 9500 ( or possibly 8500 ) I want something for hdtv , as well as blueray. I'm hoping to be able to get something that will come close to replicating a picture close to plasma or lcd tv. Room is mostly light controlled with blackout curtains drawn light is probably around 90% blacked out. Sports and hdtvare watched as much , or more than movies on the PJ for me.

In the budget of around 3 - 4000 , Can anyone think of something better or more bang for my buck.

TIA - Russ

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

If you can tolerate the discolored panels of the Panasonics ... I can't. The Epsons are more uniform in color ... but of late have gone through at spate of projector issues ... patches of red showing up in different parts of the image. A warranty issue to be sure, but no fun to go through the process if your unit has the issue.

You want lcd performance? So do you want the bad viewing angles of LCD too? :D

Nothing beats immersive ... but as long as you keep projecting images onto screens that are white or near white ... you will never get the black level performance of the plasma sets.

A wonderful small image ... that is just tv ... or something that is a movie ...

regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info... from what i have read so far Epson 9500 seems to have a slight edge over the Pany. Is there anything out there in the 3 to 4 grand range that I am missing that would be a better buy? I realize I will never quite achieve the same pic as a plasma , but I'm hoping to be able to be a lot better than the Toshiba MT200 that I have now , albeit when I first got it , and even still for the dollar value and what it is only capable of it's not too bad. I'm assuming moving to true 1080 should make a big difference in picture quality . Am I right in assuming this ?

I just can't go back to watching hdtv or bluray on a "small " tv anymore.love the big screen

Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

1080p ... 2 million pixels ...

You will benefit from it if you set up the projector right and if you sit close enough to actually see the extra pixels. 1 to 3 times screen height to see the pixels. Further back and you get no benefit from the extra pixels.

Some people that get lazy in the install of the projector also can degrade the resolution down to 1 million pixels ... turning the 1080p into a 720p unit with just one click of a certain adjustment.

Although resolution is important, there are a number of things that rank higher than just more dots.

Black Levels ... #1
Dynamic Range ... #2 (Good Contrast ratio)
Accurate Color and Grayscale #3
Detail ... #4

Epson THX model ...

Or the BenQ W6000 on the DLP side ...

$4000 might get you into the entry level of Sony LCOS technology ... but the Epson and BenQ would calibrate better.

regards

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would also add that selecting the right screen size will be important here and should help with Michael's point #2. If the screen is too big for the projector the result is a rather dull looking image. I'd say for these Epsons (8500/9500UB, 92" max which the original poster already has. I calibrated an 8500UB two nights ago on a 92" and got about 12.5fL with a 100% window on a painted screen that could have been Screen Goo. That's pretty close to digital cinema standards. I think the screen could have helped us out here because the weak part in the system was the screen. You could see the inconsistencies in uniformity and when comparing it to screen samples I had on hand, it was flat and boring. But playing movies with this sized screen and this projector was very good - in fact - refreshing to see because it was a good fit.

I had screen samples on me and we went through the differences...painted goo is no match for good screen material. The only samples I had on me were the 8"x8" Da-Lite samples. Customer preferred the JKP HD Progressive 0.9 and the Cinema Vision materials over the HD Progressive 0.6 (eek - I wouldn't recommend for home applications) and High Contrast Cinema Vision...the latter two having the grayish tint to help deepen those black levels but also cause other image alterations. Oh, and I told him to paint his ceiling black or dark gray...here was another install where the screen was so close to the white ceiling the image was very compromised. The room was glowing and sending it right back to the screen! I wonder what the real black level would look like...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts