Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
For those of you who say it's slow, which set-top box do you have? I'm just curious whether it's across the board or only some models.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have not really figured out what the slow problem is that is being discussed. I have the 2.6 update and old 430/330 boxes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have not noticed any slowness with my 7150 box. I have noticed some sound dropouts when I rewind live tv to catch something earlier. It usually only drops out a few times over a minute or so then is rock steady sound after that (it may be caused by me having to use the tv arc setting as the box doesn't work going through my Denon AVR).

·
Registered
231 Posts
ok i figured out what is slow. if you have the guide set to "On Now" it takes forever. it you change your primary guide style back to grid you don't have anymore delay to see the menu or change channels. guess i'll stick with grid style even tho i liked the on now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't noticed slowness, but there's a drop-out (ie lost signal) once or twice a day now that lasts about two minutes that didn't happen before the upgrade.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have both 430/330 boxes and it takes 5-10 secs for button input to show up on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the Cisco 430 and 2 330 STB. The slowness relates to overall performance. If I select a PVRed program to watch, the system takes a few seconds to display the program with the Play button, and selecting the Play button takes a few seconds to start the show. Using the rev or FF buttons within the show also reacts slowly. This is different that the previous version.
If I pause a live show, the bar at the bottom that is displayed momentarily when I press play often does not have an accurate display of time that the show has buffered. Sometimes, hitting rev or FF buttons has unexpected results- the FF jumps 30 seconds, but then the rev button jumps back more than 8 seconds depending at which point of the playback I did this.
On the 330, sometimes pressing rev does not do anything on a PVRed show for up to 10 seconds.
Just unexpected occurrences since the release of 2.6 (I'm on 2.6.31666.1228)
One final observation- I have the digital sound output for my PVR as Surround and fed into an app which then detects the DD sound for decoding- It use to be quick to decode the output of the 430- now it takes up to a second when changing channels.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The most annoying aspect of this new update is the previous channels button. After pressing it, it can take up 10 seconds (first time since power on) and 5 seconds subsequent times for the channel list to EVEN APPEAR! Then it spends quite a long time updating the thumbnails of the shows. I've had instances where the live preview of the last channel doesn't even show up.

Is there an option to put it back to the old style previous channels list on the right side with no thumbnails?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The response time to bring up anything ie guide,dvr menu, previous channels etc. Was extremely slow when i had the guide set to "on Now" default setting. When I changed it back to the "Grid style" everything was speedy again. If you have your primary guide set to on now change it and that should solve the slowness issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Cisco CIS330 PVR , a CIS400 set top box, and an ActionTec 1000 since my installation in 2008 and then a new CIS430 last year. Even with the CIS430 I had all the same problems noted above in this thread: 1) excessive delay time 2) reboots required to speed up every week 3) very poor 2HD + 1 SD capability 4) 15 Mb/sec internet. A real dog when doing a SEARCH function for a program on the PVR.

The big problem was when Microsoft Media Room (Optik TV synonym) released software update 4 years ago giving search results as "picture thumbnails" rather than ASCII text as originally. This creates more digital traffic, uses more memory and taxes CPU time in the PVR and ST box. Also, All Microsoft software operating systems (especially Win XP etc.) seem to suffer from "memory leakage"! This is when overloaded RAM switches to "virtual memory" swapping to the hard drive and the OS does not release ALL the memory back once the RAM load decreases. In other words some unused RAM space is only released when you reboot. That is why it only works for a limited time! The CIS430 and CIS400 have both been out of production for at least THREE YEARS! The hardware is not compatible with the software demands of latest Media Room releases for the last three years. That is why Cisco ended official production of these units THREE YEARS ago! Also, the Actiontec 1000 gateway is obsolete. Technology has progressed since 2008 and software is way beyond the capability of this old obsolete hardware.

Three weeks ago I got the Actiontec 3200 gateway and a wireless set top box plus an upgrade to 25 Mb/sec internet. What a difference, I am now in a more modern environment where I am not waiting 20 seconds for each program "search" character entered! I get 29 Mb/sec (Speedtest OOkla) actual internet speed and much more responsive Optik TV with 5 HD streams available at same time. I have tested it and it works well. The Telus installer was great and explained the gateway and wireless set top box are the key to removing load from the PVR as digital traffic. The old CIS430 PVR is quite acceptable now. I had complained at least six times to Telus to get this over the last three years with deaf ears until I got the right person in Telus.

It was a nightmare getting the billing straightened out on all this afterwards, as Telus billing software seems to default to $100 installation plus $5 /mo. extra rental even though this is a "replacement" ST box paid for by a 3 year contract in 2008. I had to wait two plus hours over 3 calls to get it straightened out. Everybody has to phone in after installs now because of the "default chargeable" Telus policy on the billing software. Phone lineup is over 2 hours even though the answering software only says "a 45 minute wait" because that figure is also now obsolete. I had frustratingly made plans to go to Shaw (I even checked out the changeover logistics with Shaw) but I am now finally happy with the Telus Optik system for now. I am a retired electrical engineer in digital hardware and software all my career so I had some background to dig in on this.

Let me know if I have any mistakes in the above as I know there are very knowledgeable users out there. The only thing I regret is the obsolete CIS430 should have been upgraded as well but is reluctantly acceptable for now. By the way, I configured the Actiontec 3200 for "Band Steering" afterwards so I get 2.4G or 5G carrier band depending on age of my laptop Wifi chip so I get the full benefit 802.11(n). I live in Prince George, BC

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had had some of those issues with my 430PVR. Slow response particularly when first powered on each morning. And when things got unbearable I would do a reboot which helped quite a bit. But, I recently bought a new TV (or should I say reluctantly got a new TV to avoid losing my Airmiles that weren't really going to expire after all but I don't have any alcohol on hand so I cant go into that in more detail at the moment. Since connecting my new TV my 430PVR has performed much better than before which I would think makes little sense. The new and the old TV's are/were connected to the PVR by HDMI. Could the TV have been bogging the PVR done via the HDMI cable??

I would suspect that you didn't have the Actiontec 1000 since 2008. I wasn't able to get Optik TV until Summer of 2010 and at that time had an older black modem with a separate box called a Cellpipe in front of it which had something to do with the upgrade of the DSLAM's from ADSL 2+ to VDSL if I recall correctly which was going to (and did) allow more than 2 HD and 1 SD stream. I may not have this all correct but in any event, I don't think the Actiontec arrived on the scene to put everything back into one box for another year or more after my install in summer 2010.

I keep thinking that I should make a move to get my old 430 PVR with 320 Gig HD upgraded. There was talk of a newer make/model PVR awhile back but I never heard if it had more than a 500 Gig HD or not.

AE_Collector

·
Registered
95 Posts
ipv6015

I am experiencing the same sluggish performance from my CIS430 I've had since 2008. I have tried getting it replaced by a newer box, but Telus doesn't seem to think I need it. I was wondering if the ipv6015 box ethernet out port is functional, as I use the CIS430 to hardwire other tech in my cabinet without running wires from upstairs or drilling anywhere. I was interested in getting the 4K box, but hear that the ethernet out isn't functional. Thanks

81 - 96 of 96 Posts