Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2 boxes (a PVR box and a digital box) both gave me the option to update after I choose "Restart System" from the on-screen Settings menu. No need to unplug. (In my case anyway).

The new software seems fine so far. I haven't noticed any sluggishness. Seems responsive enough to me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I also received a prompt to update after choosing "Restart System" from the Settings menu today (had previously tried that and got nothing).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey that worked. Actually unplugged it in the adpfternoon, got busy. Went to a,movie. Now plugged it in and looks new

Thanks for the tip to expedite the process.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dicovered my PVR and STB installed the upgrade all by themselves. I didn't need to do a reboot at all. Interface seems MUCH clearer, and overall responsiveness is much better.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine updated today. Love the new interface. Closed captioning is crispy and more legible with the new Cinecav font. Anyone know what's the font used in the guide and the general interface?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does this update feature improvements to picture quality? Can a software upgrade even improve picture quality?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I was kinda thinking that. Or is it the placebo effect lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was also able to get the update by restarting the system. I like what I see. I notice a sharper picture as well. Hopefully this update will fix the frequent audio drops I've been experiencing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just noticed that the on-screen app to subscribe to channels appears to be gone on 2.6. The website is also missing "Add" buttons for most individual channels for me. Had to resort to online chat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the picture quality looked a bit sharper to me as well, but I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or an actual improvement featured in the update.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The picture quality may be placebo. However I noticed a difference in audio quality. The "stereo" option actually provides stereo audio, not the surround mixdown it was before. It also seems more compressed and louder than before, but that's probably just the channels I'm watching

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lost sound from the Cisco 440 PVR

My Optik system was just updated to v2.6 last week.

This Sunday evening, after using my system this afternoon, I turned it on and I had no sound- just picture. HDMI connection from the PVR 440 box to Pioneer Amp, and HDMI from the Amp to the Sony TV. I'm aware of some sound issues with SD channels and programmed my Harmony One to switch Amp input which usually resolves this problem. But this did not resolve my problem.

I also have a Component Connection from the 440 to the TV directly with stereo cables for sound so I don't need to use my amp all the time, but there was no sound using this method either. It seemed that the 440 was not outputting sound, either via HDMI or stereo analog output.

Rebooted the 440 and everything was OK. First time this has happened in close to 5 years of using Optik TV. Wonder if it is a problem with the Upgrade. I've been using the Surround sound output from the 440 because of my amp, but if this happens again, I will check to see if stereo output does anything. I would not be happy if I couldn't use the surround sound output.

Anyone else see this problem?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did the restart and update on both boxes. I notice it is slow at responding to remote inputs, takes almost 5 seconds to carry out a command. Hoping that it gets faster with time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^^Mine was the same after the update. Real slow to respond to remote commands, but after a short time it was all back to normal. T'was as if the system was relearning the commands. Now, it's just as quick and responsive as before the update.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Agreed when I attempt to go into the settings menu it's really slow. Painfully slow. The first few times I kept pressing "settings" as nothing was happening. After awhile I realized it's just slow.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I thought the PQ was the same... I came from Shaw a few months ago, and it doesn't seem quite as good. It would be ice if they allocated a little more bandwidth to the video stream :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gilles, you are correct about there being a bug but it has been around for quite some time. If you restart your box and immediately go in and cancel the series recording it will work. If you wait too long then you will get the " Programming currently unavailable" message again. I was told that it will be quite some time before this bug gets fixed. It's in the software on their end and has nothing to do with the software on our boxes.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts