Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few posts in other threads here and a few elsewhere on the internet about a replacement for the 630 PVR.

Has anyone heard anything more on a new model replacement for the 630 PVR or around when it will be released?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I sent an email to ask Jim this week - inquiring about plans for a 'wholehome' dvr.

I was saddened by the reply. Nothing to be announced in the near future.

In fact Im still waiting for the esata/usb port and expanded harddrive and HD guide and more HD channels.

If it wasnt such a chore and so expensive I would switch to cogeco for their whole home units. If the new bird is delayed again- I just might do that.

Starchoice since 1999. HD with Starchoice since the very first days.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
If there are things in the works, it would be too early to say anything about it now.

The 6xx receivers are too new to dump, and so far seem capable for some time.
They probably want to get a few years from them, instead of have another DSR-500 on their hands.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've said it before an I'll say it again, the Shaws are more interested in their yearly bonuses than in keeping up with the competition or giving their customers what they want. Running a second rate service that makes money is what they do best. It's been third for about a decade now. Pretty soon it will be running fourth, behind the competition in satellite, cable and IPTV. I've got to wonder if Shaw Direct will be around in 10 years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
"I've got to wonder if Shaw Direct will be around in 10 years."

It's very doubtful that it will last 3 years. If foreign ownership regulations are not relaxed by then, you'll see a HBC/Zellers - Target type deal. Shaw Direct will be shut down and Shaw will sell the Telesat transponder leases to DirecTV. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if preliminary discussions haven't already taken place.

Star Choice jumped the shark when Shaw got control.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Cancom (Shaw Brodcast Services), needs to exist, to distribute specialty and some broadcast to cable systems. Shaw Direct just piggy backs on that.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Cancom is losing customers as well. It's being replaced with fibre where possible and with Bell by some other cable companies. Rogers once used Cancom for specialty channels and distant channels but now uses fibre directly from the broadcasters for many, if not all, of those feeds. Cancom is still used by some remote cable systems and the few independents that still exist. They could easily use Bell for those feeds or find another source.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cancom is losing customers as well.
Shaw showed their hand when they let Bell pickup SRDU customers because Shaw wouldn't buy Ku transponders on F3 for new services + HD. Shaw made the decision to get out of the satellite biz way back then. Shaw will keep it SD/Cancom going until it is no longer cash flow positive. Then, as previously stated, close it down and sell the transponder leases to someone else.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lets not get carried away here guys. The CRTC would NEVER allow Shaw to simply lock the door and walk away from Shawdirect leaving customers holding the bag with millions of dollars in equipment.

There is nothing more important to the CRTC then to foster competition and to provide TV service to undeserved communities. As much as we think Shawdirect is a gong show, there would be a line up to purchase the company should the Shaw family decide to sell. If I had the investors I would buy Shawdirect in a heartbeat.

I know the Shaw's very well and their ego and insatiable appetite to "be bigger than the competition" often trumps good judgement.

Shawdirect will be around is some form until there exists a superior competitive technology (fiber, 4G, etc) to service remote communities.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Much like the CBC shutting down analog transmitters there is nothing the CRTC could do to compel Shaw to keep Shaw Direct running. Shaw could sell their subscriber list to Bell and make a deal for trade in equipment and sell the transponder space, although selling the transponder space might need Industry Canada appoval as those spaces are designated for Canadian use. Maybe the regulations on that have changed but I thought there was some approval required for Dishor Direct TV to use the F3 assignment.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The CRTC would NEVER allow Shaw to simply lock the door and walk away from Shawdirect leaving customers holding the bag with millions of dollars in equipment.
The CRTC does not have that power. There is nothing they could do. The only power the CRTC has is over the terms of sale or operation of Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The CRTC does not have that power. There is nothing they could do. The only power the CRTC has is over the terms of sale or operation of Shaw Direct.
I cant really see ShawDirect closing anytime soon... At least I hope not we need competition to keep lower prices...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I don't see them closing up shop in the near future either. There is a fair bit of synergy between Shaw Direct, Cancom and Shaw Cable that makes for a profitable organization. Losing any one would affect the whole. However, don't underestimate the effects of expanding fibre networks and IPTV on Shaw's business. They are putting pressure on all three operations and that will increase over the foreseeable future. If any one survives alone, it will be the Cable TV/internet operation.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Also don't forget the growth of Internet streaming. We could see lots more on-demand type viewing. Many people have already given up cable for PC-only viewing. If it were not for the HWFH program, I might have switched already.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I tried the internet streaming for a Global program. All skip, FF and Rewind functions were disabled. That's like going back 30 years to before my first VCR. No thanks. I know why they are doing it but it makes Shaw Direct's VOD offering unacceptable to me. IIRC, it was not even possible to resume a partially watched program. I would pay a few dollars extra a month to get ad free programming or full controls but locking all controls down for an entire show with full ads and no resume function is not on my TV watching schedule. That's just a gigantic waste of time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
All rumour here.

Talking to a level 2 rep a while back on some other issues. I asked about whole-home receivers. He mentioned that would likely not happen until the 730 came out. Yes he mentioned the model. And not for at least another year. Given that they regularly release late spring early summer, I would say spring 2014.

So what will it do? I ask.
- 4 tuners
- built-in multi switch so unit would only require a single coax line from the LNB. Running 2 lines from dish was the biggest complaint from new adopters to the current PVR (let's leave current software bugs for another time). I'm still not sure how this would work, but maybe.
- 600 and above receivers should have ability to watch content on 730. This 'server' feature not likely going to make it to the 630.

He also mentioned that a new firmware release for the 600 series, 9.XX, likely before Christmas

just more carrots??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts