Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In an effort to reduce spammers and to deal with one off questions, Digital Home Canada restricts new members from posting new threads until they have been with us for 3 days.

New members are welcome to post their questions into existing threads, however, if you have a question or comment that doesn't fit neatly into any existing thread then please post your question in this thread and you'll be sure to get the assistance you need.

If you're having any problems with using the forums or don't understand then please check out our Digital Home Canada Help forum where we answer Frequently Asked questions.

In the Help Forum, you will also find the Rules of the Forum. You are required to know and abide by them prior to posting.

Also be sure to check out the stickied threads at the top of this forum. Stickied threads generally answer many of the common questions or discuss popular issues.

We welcome all new members and hope that once you get your questions answered, you'll give back to others by answering their questions.

· Registered
9 Posts
Good idea...builds fan loyalty also :)
I have a dilemna basically whereas Im very inclined to choose *C as my provider over Vid, yet Vid's going to show more HD programming and especially hockey on TSN, whereas *C gives me +40 more channels for the same programming price...anyone wanna give me a few tips on which i should choose?...(ie is *C getting more channels...or do they specifically belong to Vid, ect..)
Thanks guys (and gals)

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Panzar, welcome to the forums.

I don't have *C or Videotron so I can't help you answer that specifically but please check out the General Cable and Satellite Forum where you'll find lots of threads comparing cable vs. satellite offerings.

The Videotron forum will also be useful for Videotron specific questions.

· Registered
107 Posts
Hi all, I'm fairly new to satellite and have had my HDTV since May. Just bought the *C 505 and am waiting patiently for the DVI fix. Having said that, I am blown away with picture quality using component set up and even the SD channels are more than acceptable. I'm just preparing you all for the many questions I am sure will come. :cool:

· Registered
18 Posts
Newbie member

Hello all! I found it a little trick signing up, but third time lucky! I've been visiting this site since May. Discovered it just after I ordered the DVR530 direct from *C. My wife and I don't challenge the 530 very much, so for us, it's been fantastic. We'll never use the VCR again - yeah!!

I'd like to thank all the gurus on this site for their tips and hints. They've proved very valuable to us.

I'm forgetful about model numbers, but we have a 57 inch HD Sony projection TV, Onkyo 700 somethng surround system. To celebrate the arrival of the 530, we got a Panasonic DVD recorder as well. We've been using a DVI cable for HD programs from day 1. It's a little slow to bring back the picture after the guide of recording status screens, but the PQ is fab. Oh, we're still holding at version A8 - I check every morning.

Nice to be here at las!! Cheers.

· Registered
6 Posts
Good deal for Star Choice?

We're looking to get setup with TV. The only requirement is that we need to receive TSN and 'everything' we currently receive with antenna. We need 2 TV's setup and able to watch different channels. One of the TV's will be upgraded to an HDTV set in about 6 months so we will want to receive HDTV programming.

The cheapest (cable is not an option) seems to be StarChoice. I priced it out for 2 years to compare with the ExpressVu contract. HD receiver (I assume this works with a normal TV in the interim) is $199 and a basic receiver is $79. Programming is $20/month plus $5 multi-receiver fee for $600 over 24 months.

$10 online discount plus $50 programming credit. I'll value 10 free PPV movies at another $25. One free month ($20) if you can find someone to refer you. Another $20 programming credit if you sign up for their credit card ($50 programming less $30 annual fee). So two year total comes out at $753 (install included).

I see that the HD receiver (DSR505) is available for $199 with a $70 rebate at Future Shop. With the tax on the $70 this is a $60 savings. You also get 10 PPV movies when you activate it (let's say this offsets the hardware costs to install it yourself). Would the $60 be worth the hassle of installing it ourselves?

Anyone know of a cheaper way to get started with Star Choice? Thanks,

· Registered
640 Posts
I would not buy HD receiver until you have an HDTV, 6 months and prices will drop on both the 505 and the 530 dvr. They definetely will not be going up.
Install is free for 2 receiver's and down side of installing yourself is you get no dish warranty.Get a pro to do it for free and get the 2 yr warranty included.
Buy 2 - 205's and upgrade the receiver later, sell the extra o ebay or hookup a 3rd tv. No extra monthly cost for the 3rd tv and you get lifetime warranty on the 2 - 205's included @ no extra cost. Call centre will sell you a dsr205 for $49.00 as a new customer "thinking" about going with Bell.;)
The spare remote alone will be worth $40.00 @ retail.

· Banned
3,182 Posts
I agree the 530 may drop slightly, but the 505 HD is already at bargain basement prices and I don't see the need to wait.
They are selling so fast, there is no reason to drop prices, now the 530 is a different matter.

Definetly get the pro install, worth the money. You couldn't do it your self for the subsidized cost hardly. The benefits outway the savings.

BTW, aren't the PPV coupons worth more like 5 or 6 bucks a pop?

The price difference between a 205 and a 505 is growing quite narrow for what you gain.
The better guide with picture, HD that you can watch on a SD TV until you upgrade.

The 505 has got to be the bargain of the century.
Crap, I remember when I paid ~ $800 for a basic Bell 6000 HD receiver that still has a crapy guide and doesn't work near as well as a 505.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Re: sendtomaz

Wow, you've really done your research!
I would pick up the 505 at FutureShop for $129 right now. Buying an extra reciever you're not going to use really doesn't serve any purpose. I'm using a 505 with an SD TV right now just for the faster guide.

The only thing to remember is that you don't get HD stations with the Digital Basic package.

I would either order the 205 from Star Choice over the phone (they'll probably give it to you for $69, matching the web price) and pick up the 505 @ FutureShop/BestBuy so the installer can install them both; or just pick up both the 505 and 205 for $209.98 at FS/BB and have them both installed.

The problem with the HD receivers and ordering from Star Choice is that they need to ship them out to you and then book an install, which adds a couple of weeks to you getting TV. May or may not be an issue.

There are plenty of people here who would be happy to "refer" you, but keep in mind that process needs to be done before you call Star Choice for an account if you want to qualify for the free month.

In factoring the value of the PPV coupon, keep in mind regular order fees still apply: $2 if you talk to someone at the Call Center to order; $1 if you use the automated phone system; $0 if you order through Instant PPV (phone line in receiver). The coupon works for 10 REGULAR PPV movies and lasts 90 days.

It sounds like you've done your research, so there really shouldn't be any surprises for you.

· Registered
18 Posts
panzar said:
Vid's going to show more HD programming and especially hockey on TSN, Thanks guys (and gals)
Don't SC have TSN HD on channel 280. Just going by the guide. Can't spring for HD TV yet. 1 child in University this year and her brother joins her next year

· Registered
1,067 Posts
sendtomaz said:
Anyone know of a cheaper way to get started with Star Choice? Thanks,
SC Direct sales present deals

1 X 315 - $1
1 X 315 + 1 X 205 - $50
1 X 315 + 2 X 205 - $100

1 X 505 + 1 X 205 - $250

All prices include installation of quad dish - usual $50 prog + $50 PPV credits apply

· Registered
6 Posts
You guys rock, I tried some other forums with this and got no response.

987654321 said:
SC Direct sales present deals

1 X 315 - $1
All prices include installation of quad dish - usual $50 prog + $50 PPV credits apply
Wow, if that's the price before the credits are applied then it's a great deal. I could then add the 505 from Future Shop for $139. I called Star Choice and they passed my number on to Direct Sales.

satellite said:
The only thing to remember is that you don't get HD stations with the Digital Basic package.
I thought English Essentials was $20 and included 11 HD stations? http://www.starchoice.com/english/store/popups/Essentials.htm#hdtv Am I missing something? Hope not, that would be a deal breaker.

satellite said:
pick up the 505 @ FutureShop/BestBuy so the installer can install them both
So assuming I go with the 315 deal above, they will install the 505 I get at Future Shop while they are there? To get the additional 50 PPV credit, I have to be an existing customer when I activate the 505.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Sirius Guy said:
Install is free for 2 receiver's and down side of installing yourself is you get no dish warranty.
Is this new?

I had *C installed in my first home 2 years ago. I purchased two receivers, but only one could be installed for free.

Same goes for my move 3 months ago... 1 installed for free, charged for the 2nd.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
987654321 said:
Direct Sales deals are always different. They also have special programming package for Ontario, that is only available to new customers they sign up. Similiar but not as complete as Digital Favourites, it has Buffalo feeds and no timeshifting.
But no HD channels.

Direct Sales really isn't that much of a deal - most of the time you get a DSR205 for $49, a $48 programming credit and a $50 PPV credit - no extra programming credits. You're effectively saving $30 over the retail offer.

· Registered
6 Posts
505 clock, 2 different times

HI, Just got the 505 and a hd tv. Anyone else notice that when *c receiver is on, time is in military( 14:00, 22:00 etc). But when receiver is off time is normal (6:30, 2:30 etc). I called starchoice and lady had no idea what i was talking about. Any way to fix this? Going crazy in Calgary. thanks

1 - 20 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.