Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you go c/ku you can pull in over 600 channels never counted but many channels are up there that are English , along with many raw feeds, nets, sports stuff like that, you will not get hbo and those type channels free but there are channels that play movies with commercials. You can look at lyngsat for many listings, programming you find on your own should be kept to yourself. Have fun.
Thanks. I don't think I want to go with c band as it needs big dish. I think I am okay with channels that play movie with commercials. Right now I am with Rogers and that's what I get. Some more questions:

1. Dish: I want to get HD if possible. What kind of dish (ku band) do I need? should I get the regular/round one (33" or 36") or the eclipse (18 x 24)?
2. Receiver: I am thinking of getting Viewsat Max HD. Is this good enough?
3. On other post, you mentioned "A good pc with satellite pci card is another option for even more HD". What do you mean by this? Are you suggesting that rather than getting a reciever, it'd be better to get a pc with satellite card? Does PCI satellite card have more capability to get HD channels?
4. Is it true that you need to clean the snow on the dish? I saw quite many people putting the dish on the roof or chimney. If the dish needs to be cleaned, I need to find a good/reachable location.

Thanks...

·
Registered
928 Posts
To be honest to get the most out of HD you will want c/ku-band, stay away from Viewsat they are poor receivers, you will want a receiver that can pick up dvb-s2 feeds like the Coolsat 8000/8100 ******** 9000 or the Pansat 9000, these do not have blind scan, the Pansat 9200 has blind scan but need a add on board for dvb-s2 but then does not scan on dvb-s2 so... for the most HD a dvb pci card would be good.

There are great feeds on ku-band you will have to know where to look, I enjoy both c/ku it would be hard for me to decide if I have to part with one of them.

You mite want to go SD only if you will only be using ku-band, a 1.2 meter motorized would be a good choice.

Good sd receivers would be the Traxis 3500, Fortec dynamic, Coolsat 5000/6000/6100, 90% of the others are pretty poor choices.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, I live in Toronto and am thinking of getting a FTA, basically to watch English channels only. However, my wife wants to know if we can get some good channels (i.e to watch movie, series etc). I was wondering if someone can provide information on this.
Thanks.
To be honest with you, you're likely much better off going with OTA (over the air, antenna based DTV) than FTA for your typical channels. Depending on where in Toronto you are, you will be able to pick up all major Toronto stations in HD (OMNI1/2, City, CBC, CTV, SunTV, Global). And depending on the antenna and your location, you'll get some/all of the buffalo channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, TheCW, MyTV, etc)...

Plus if you already have an HDTV you likely have an ATSC tuner built in, and only need an antenna, pre-amp, and RG-6 cable...

PM me if you want some more info, I live in Grimsby and get ALL the local channels in HD. Cost me about $100 for antenna, amp and cables.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yes OTA is nice to have, it is not much compared to a nice c/ku-band setup but it is great to have along with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes OTA is nice to have, it is not much compared to a nice c/ku-band setup but it is great to have along with it.
It may be different in the Montreal area, but in the Golden Horseshoe, you can get upwards of 15+ HD channels OTA. And this costs anywhere from $50-250 depending on what you use.

To go with Ku band HD, you're looking at $350+ for a receiver (I've got a SonicView HD8000 and love it!), plus a dish, lnb, motor, etc. Say another $200. And then you may need to add the 8PSK module on top of that! Not sure if FTA HD is broadcast in QPSK or 8PSK... To go C/Ku it's going to be even more, no?

Not trying to be a pain, I just think the wife factor would favour local channels with series programming (ie. reality shows, csi, series, etc.). Also for the hockey/football fan, local OTA has good stuff in HD... just not ALL the games.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well I have some friends that got some big dishes free, if you are lucky it would already have a c/ku-feed, I'm not sure about the Sonicview never heard much good out of it, does it even do dvb-s2 out the box?

I have ota, it's nice to have but I love feed hunting and the picture on some raw feeds on dvb are breathtaking.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well just found out there is no dvb-s2 on the Sonicview, mite as well go with the Coolsats or the ********, or the Pansat 9000.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well just found out there is no dvb-s2 on the Sonicview, mite as well go with the Coolsats or the ********, or the Pansat 9000.
But do either of those have an ATSC tuner? I bought my SV-HD8000 as an ATSC DVR because the alternatives are unreliable/expensive, etc. I would have spent $300 on a DTV Pal DVR and they've got massive problems, or $300 for a Tivo HD plus the subscription fee.

For $350 for the HD8000 + $150 for a 1.0 TB external HDD, I've got an ATSC HD DVR that also happens to get FTA... for me the FTA part of it is secondary, while it seems for you FTA is your primary viewing. For the purpose of the guy with the wife, he's got to weigh his options... :D

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I just picked up a used SV 8000 from a very unhappy "Pirate" (Thief). It does a great job of picking up the OTA HD and when coupled to a spare 500 Gig HD, it can be used as a great PVR.

Now just have to get the Guide Data a bit more accurate. It is missing huge amounts of information. I will have to read up on this matter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you're using it in Toronto, we've got guide problems in our area (basically only a couple of the CDN channels have guide info). This was one of the selling points of the DTV Pal DVR, but the things a hunk of ****.

If you know what channel you want to record, you can set a timer to record it in the menu. Zap2it.com has a good channel listing for us. I used ZIP code 14072...

Just out of curiosity, why was the "pirate" unhappy? I take it he lost his BEV and didn't realize Dave is still running (for now).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yes the ******** has a tuner, and I am pretty sure both the Coolsats do to, they all sadly can't play very high bitrate feeds :( think they max out a bit over 30mbps, pc is still the best way, as with it you can pull in 4:2:2 feeds that no north American receiver can do, need a good pc though.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
He had lost Bell, and his Pron from Charlie........lol

Hey for $150, I am happy.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you are using the Sonicview 360 for True FTA there should be no reason to add any other files to it.

If you are wanting to watch Dish, then you are asking on the wrong site, this Forum does not condone any kind of Signal Theft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New FTA

Hi,
I have just bought a trailer and am located near to Turkey Point in southern Ontario. The trailer came with a Bell Express Vu dish and tripod. i am new to freetoair and have no clue:-
1. Can I get Setanta sports?
2. Do I need to get an Expressvu receiver?
3. Where can I get a freetoair receiver
4. How the hech do I set it up.
Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Free To Air is the reception of unencrypted satellite programming. A Bell dish will NOT work. An FTA dish needs to be 33" or larger and have a LINEAR LNB not the circular ones that bell/dishnet use. You will need an FTA receiver not a Bell one. Be careful not to get FTA confused with satellite piracy. FTA is legal and satellite piracy is not and subsequently not discussed on this forum. I don't believe Setanta sports is unencrypted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cinker,

If you want to get into the FTA hobby, it would be a good idea to get a dish motor to be able to aim at many satellites, and as mentioned above, you'll need a larger dish (33" or so), an FTA receiver, and either a fair bit of reading or hiring somebody to install it for you. The upside is it's 100% legal and free, other than the initial outlay for equipment. The downside is there are very few "normal" channels. There's no TSN, no Discovery channel, etc.

On the other hand, if you don't mind paying monthly, you can get Bell to come install a Bell receiver and you can get regular 'ole subscription satellite. The initial outlay should be next to nothing, but the monthly fees are pretty much identical to basic cable, or higher.

You do have a third option, and that is taking down the dish, leaving the mount (if it's on top of the trailer) and installing an antenna and rotor. Since buffalo is across the water from Turkey point, you should be able to pickup most of the american networks, and with a recent (post-2006 or so) HDTV, you can get free HD signals from the major networks. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, ION, PBS, etc.

I'm located in Grimsby on the mountain, and I get 20 GOOD digital HD channels from Toronto, Buffalo, and Hamilton.

Hope this helps,
Aaron

101 - 120 of 601 Posts