Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 601 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
He knew what you meant. Which town are you in?

Most FTA birds don't have strong beam patterns as you go farther northwards so a much bigger dish is sometimes required.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Since you already have a 30 try it for awhile and see how it works for what you want, if it's still too small you can always upgrade to a 36. Some birds have a good signal where you are because they cover Alaska as well as the lower 48.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all

Sorry for the newbish question,
I live in NJ, USA and ive been reading a lot about FTA, but ive been finding a lot of posts from people aquiering sats from my area.
My question is what type of setup would one need in order to get channels from Colombia, South America.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: in doing some research i found which satellites these channels are on.
Caracol is on: Intelsat 9 at 58.0°W

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Intelsat 9 appears primarily to be a C-band satellite so you'll need at least a 10 foot dish and appropriate hardware to receive those C-band channels that are free-to-air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's plenty of Espanol language on Galaxy10R/18R. You'll need a 1m dish and a linear LNB for your system, assuming you're not too far north, to bag it though. I get it no problem with my Viewsat Ultra2000. This isn't an expensive rig.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Now for the research eh

Start at lyngsat.com and have a look at the FTA link, that will show you all the possible available FTA in Canada. Then point your Dish to the bird you choose and enjoy.

For more choices you should consider a motorised system.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Motorized Ku-Band with Multi-Receiver

Curious about motorized Ku-Band FTA with a diseqc switch for use with 2 or more receivers: if both receivers have the diseqc 1.2 standard for dish motor, can both receivers control the alignment of the dish? Or would you have to establish a "master" and then multiple "slave" receivers?

STL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lyngsat is a useful tool. If you look at the North American birds, they have footprint maps that will give you an idea of what size dish you'll need for reception. It's not always up to date and a lot of cool things can be found if you have a reciever capable of blindscanning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Usually a motorized setup is to one reciever, you can hook up a 2nd reciever to the IF out on the 1st reciever and move it when the 1st reciever is off.

If you're in the city consider getting a couple of IR remote extenders (x-10 sells them) for TV's in the other rooms and feed them all from the motorized reciever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, I live in Toronto and am thinking of getting a FTA, basically to watch English channels only. However, my wife wants to know if we can get some good channels (i.e to watch movie, series etc). I was wondering if someone can provide information on this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you go c/ku you can pull in over 600 channels never counted but many channels are up there that are English , along with many raw feeds, nets, sports stuff like that, you will not get hbo and those type channels free but there are channels that play movies with commercials. You can look at lyngsat for many listings, programming you find on your own should be kept to yourself. Have fun.

81 - 100 of 601 Posts