Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
New at this

:confused: A friend recently purchased a FTA system, I was over at his place checking it out because I had heard of this but not very familiar on how it works. The one thing I noiced right off the bat is that their is no information on the programming guide as to what is showing. Seems to be a bit of a pain searching through all the stations. Is he missing something or is this malfuction of the system?

·
Registered
18 Posts
stgreek said:
:confused: A friend recently purchased a FTA system, I was over at his place checking it out because I had heard of this but not very familiar on how it works. The one thing I noiced right off the bat is that their is no information on the programming guide as to what is showing. Seems to be a bit of a pain searching through all the stations. Is he missing something or is this malfuction of the system?

True Free To Air Satellite has no program guide.

Just out of interest what channels was he watching?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah the majority of the channels don't have guide info, an exception would be some channels on IA5 (97 degrees). Guide info costs money to maintain & update and with FTA there is such a small percent of people using it, with no income going to the satellite distributers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New as well

I was wondering if I can use my old DirectTV dish and LNB for FTA? I know that the receivers are now paperweights. What FTA receiver would be recommended for the DTV dish/LNB if I can use them? If not, what dish setup would be recommended? I'm looking to start with just Ku Band FTA first. I'm located near Toronto.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Total newbie startup questions

are there computer cards available to recieve FTA signals that will also allow me to use my computer as a PVR (persona video Recorder)? Also how fast of a computer do i need to do this if it is possible? I have a 18" dish on my roof from previous house owner will this work or do I need a special dish ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Arthur Dent said:
The "channels from ..." pages on Lyngsat are pretty much useless, because they show channels by country of origin and not what is actually available in your area. In NA you can only get NA satellites. Look in the Satellite section - Frequencies->America.
:confused:
Arthur I like to ask ,I,m new here intersting switching to the GlobeCast-WroldJust to see feew Internatonal Channels from Europa look like they are not Free what are the Requirements for it need the Tottal Satellite Dish and the Receiver from the GlobeCast or other any FTA Receiverc will be Ok for it.Exampole the ViewSat Paltinum will it or Need that 36" Elyptical Dish aaand the Cannels are Open or Scrambled..........and ned the Card or not like now we using the FTA for Dish.no Cards........

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
deres61, we don't condone satellite Piracy and you should know that using the FTA for Dish Network is illegal and any further mention of it in this thread will get you banned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hugh said:
deres61, we don't condone satellite Piracy and you should know that using the FTA for Dish Network is illegal and any further mention of it in this thread will get you banned.
Sorry.
I not meant any Piracy Question here nothing to do whit the DishNetwork......just sample Question what need for the for the GlobeCast world, That all we I see I'm on the worng Forums..........

·
Registered
106 Posts
hi
I just check out lyngsat free tv channel and HBOwest from echostar is there....can I reallly have acess to this channel FTA
If I want to get most of the channel out there what would you consider for me

I have a expressvu dish but no receiver,I thought of buying a pansat receiver
and I guess this dish is too small to get fta

thnaks
J

·
Registered
928 Posts
90cm and up is good, a motor is a must, I have a Patriot 1.1 meter on a Stab HH120 works great on Ku-band.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Most of the DVB-PCI cards allow recording to HDD.
I think you need at least a gig and a half PC, and lots of RAM and HDD space.

There is not many DBS channels receivble on a DVB-FTA card or receiver, so you will need a larger dish, perhaps motorised, to get the most of it.

If you are thinking of receiving Bell orDishnet with an FTA system, except for a handful of channels, doing what is needed is pirasc, and will not be discussed here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thankyou

Thankyou for the info I guess i am going to have to look for a bigger dish fudge such is life , 1 more qwik question are all cards created equal or is there a peticular card that is better and offers more bells and whistles like offering stereo audio and such things or better quality video?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
As fasr as video quality and stereo audio, they all pretty well just suck the TS from satellite. It is up to your decoder software and PC to do what you need.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Newbie needs help for FTA channels available

Hi everyone

I've search in the topic wich channel I could get FTA.I am a bit confused cause on the lyngsat.com site they say for america there is HBO west and the NHL on OLN that I could get....is this true......I think it is too good to be true so can someone please know a site that we see a CLEAR listing of the channels that we can get

J

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
lyngsat is generally the site everyone points too. This question has come up before so I recommend a search on this forum as I believe your questions have already been answered.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hum i serach the forum before and the anwser I have receive haren't clear enough so that's why I am starting a other topic......sorry

J

21 - 40 of 601 Posts