Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the new Max software allow for external hard-drives to be attached to the PVR? You'd think a "whole home PVR" solution would allow for more than 25-30 hours of HD recording.

If it doesn't already have that capability, is it something being looked at?

Edit: Is the new Max using MPEG4 compression? If it is, what does that mean for the HD recording capacity of the VIP1216 unit that I use?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does the new Max software allow for external hard-drives to be attached to the PVR? You'd think a "whole home PVR" solution would allow for more than 25-30 hours of HD recording.

If it doesn't already have that capability, is it something being looked at?
I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect it's no. And Sasktel generally doesn't give out information on any future plans. My experience has been the same whenever I call to ask about when they might offer "feature X": "We're sorry, we can't discuss possible future plans."

Edit: Is the new Max using MPEG4 compression? If it is, what does that mean for the HD recording capacity of the VIP1216 unit that I use?
Straight from Sasktel's site:
"store up to 100 hours of standard definition programming or 25 hours of high definition (HD) programming on your set-top box "

I think that's for the new max. A previous poster did say it's some kind of mpeg 4 video stream, but there wasn't much additional info at the time.

Wondering if you could get two of them and double the storage that way or if Mediaroom doesn't work like that. My guess is *if* it's possible, Sasktel would likely want to charge you another $10 a month for it. Hooking up a hard drive would be the ideal solution, really.

Actually, Sasktel storing the recordings at their end would be ideal...less hardware at the customer end to have problems. Remote DVR's are in various states of legal limbo in the US right now though, so it's tough to tell if something like that's even a possibility here.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
original plan for the DTVR was a network pvr

for legal reasons, it was shot down about 7 years ago

and no, you can't currently have multiple pvr's on the same gateway within media room (otherwise you have to start getting into recording brokering, and anyone that's played with that on their own knows it's not fool proof)

and yes, it's mpeg4

·
Registered
80 Posts
original plan for the DTVR was a network pvr

for legal reasons, it was shot down about 7 years ago

and no, you can't currently have multiple pvr's on the same gateway within media room (otherwise you have to start getting into recording brokering, and anyone that's played with that on their own knows it's not fool proof)

and yes, it's mpeg4
I figured the remote DVR thing wasn't gonna cut it. Copyright sometimes really gets in the way of very cool technology.

·
Banned
155 Posts
I would also like to know if its MPEG4, this might improve chances for carrying Center Ice next year. Who knows, they may have held off because they knew last year it would be MPEG4 only and they (Sasktel) weren't ready yet. A guy can dream right?

And to stay on topic, I love the new Max. It does the little things right, like not cut off my recordings until the show has actually ended and when you're fast forwarding if you stop just after a show resumes it automatically backs you up to the start of that segment. Plus it just looks good. Menus are nice, the HD quality is still excellent, all in all I'm very happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone actually know the HD recording capacity of the VIP1216 using the new Max and mpeg4?
It's MPEG4 for sure, and it's 25 hours of HD.

Straight for their website.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
@m3t4lw01f, MTS also lists the capacity of the VIP1216 as 100 hours SD or 25 hours HD, however I've seen people report 40 hours of HD-only recordings. Sasktel may be different since it depends on the bit rate of the HD stream.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@m3t4lw01f, MTS also lists the capacity of the VIP1216 as 100 hours SD or 25 hours HD, however I've seen people report 40 hours of HD-only recordings. Sasktel may be different since it depends on the bit rate of the HD stream.
How can SaskTel go from 25 hours of mpeg2 capacity to the same at mpeg4? Without being overly technical, isn't the compression quality of mpeg4 roughly twice as good as mpeg2?

Why doesn't anyone have a real factual answer to such a simple question like the capacity of SaskTel's PVR? Even the SaskTel techs use the 25 hour answer.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
just because compression is better doesn't mean that we're now not putting more bits into the stream

look at SD

SD was crap because using mpeg2 we were pushing crappy resolution to make it fit into the small 3.5ish mbps stream we had available

now that we use mpeg4, we can fit almost double resolution stream into that same 3ish mbps stream and it looks much better

that's how you can change the container the codec is inside, and get better picture, for roughly the same size

ie recording is going to be about the same as before, but it looks much better

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ie recording is going to be about the same as before, but it looks much better
Don't you think that 25 hours of recording is pitiful for a "Whole home PVR"? Either the hard drive should be bigger or external hard drives should be allowed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't you think that 25 hours of recording is pitiful for a "Whole home PVR"? Either the hard drive should be bigger or external hard drives should be allowed.
My media center PC can hold ~100 hours of SD content at the best quality level it will record, and it's got a 250GB hard drive in it for TV storage. I don't know what's available in a Max STB.

I have heard rumors of a new set top box that is compatible with Mediaroom, so maybe there's an upgrade coming that will solve the problem for you.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Both Bell and Telus use Mediaroom PVRs with 320 GB hard drives.

Telus advertises up to 115 hours of HD or 295 hours of SD.

Bell advertises 100 hours of HD.

I believe Telus compress their signal more than most other providers since they still use ADSL2 lines and are in the process of converting to VDSL2.

Mediaroom PVRs store the content just as it is transmitted over the line. They don't decode the digital content until it is played back.

@m3t4lw01f, your Media Center PC is taking the analog signal from the Max STB and re-encoding it to store on the hard drive, so there will be some loss of quality even though you are using more disk space per hour of content.

·
Registered
80 Posts
@m3t4lw01f, your Media Center PC is taking the analog signal from the Max STB and re-encoding it to store on the hard drive, so there will be some loss of quality even though you are using more disk space per hour of content.
The quality loss (as far as I can tell) is negligible, but you're right it uses more disk space per hour. I can set it to any number of different settings, but anything other than "best" is noticeable.

What's the bitrate of SD and HD content on Max? Media center's "best" setting I think is around 8mbps. Not entirely sure, as it's VBR, but I know it peaks at around 8.

Interested to know, either way what bitrates Max uses for each.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sasktel's PVR Page has been updated with the following:

"Record up to 125 hours of standard definition, or up to 40 hours of high definition programming"

FYI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts