Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until yesterday I had four set top boxes on my max service. I returned two of them because I was no longer using them (Room mates had them, and they've since moved out).

When I got home from work, neither of my existing boxes could get a stream. The guide and everything worked, but the channels were all just black with no sound.

I called tech support, and it took an hour to figure out, but we eventually solved it.

What we had to do was pull the power from the boxes so they'd reboot. Then, once they rebooted, we were met with a screen that said, "Signal Loss Detected" and nothing more. The tech at Sasktel wasn't familiar with this particular error.

So, after sitting on that screen for a few minutes, I actually accidentally hit the guide button, and the guide had only a few channels available. 1, 2, 3, 430, and 999. If I went to channel 3, I got picture and sound, so the box was obviously working. The tech then told me to go to 999, so I did. That let me register the box.

Once registered, it reboots, and you end up on channel 999 again, telling you to unregister. DON'T unregister...just change channels to another. At this point it's working fine, it's just that upon the reboot it goes to the last channel you were watching, which when you register a box just happens to be 999 (which lets you unregister a box, if it's already registered).

So, if you have new max, and get rid of a set top box, this may occur to you as well. We spent the better part of an hour waiting for the box to do something when the screen said, "Signal Loss Detected" and it turned out that we just needed to go top channel 999 to register the box. I hope this helps others save an hour of their time if they end up with this problem.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Bizarre. Thanks for sharing your story though. My guess somewhere down the road, someone will be helped by this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bizarre. Thanks for sharing your story though. My guess somewhere down the road, someone will be helped by this.
That's my hope...

The tech at Sasktel said to me when we were done, "Thanks for having this problem today so we could learn more about the new system!"

(Incidentally, I'd also like to give props to Sasktel tech support right now because they did a great job working through this problem!)

Also, I'd guess that any provider using mediaroom may have similar issues with box registrations...

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
I've never heard of that problem at any of the other providers. Maybe the Sasktel employee unregistered all the STBs by mistake.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard of that problem at any of the other providers. Maybe the Sasktel employee unregistered all the STBs by mistake.
Actually, what happened was they de-registered the two boxes I still had, instead of the two I returned. The tech I talked to that night when I got home said he saw I had two boxes on my account, but the two boxes that were requesting streams weren't he ones that were authorized to do so.

That part wasn't a big deal, but the registration process kind of had us scratching our heads since after the box reboots it goes to a screen that just says signal loss detected, and so you think nothing's working (when in actual fact all you need to do is tune to channel 999 to start the registration process).

Getting it all running again should have only taken about 5 minutes, but because of the way it appeared to error out the tech spent a lot of time reading through the tech manual to see what that screen was all about. It wasn't until I accidentally pressed the guide button on my remote and had the guide pop up that we got past that. We both felt quite foolish, but in the end we got it working.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
yeah I was gonna say, it sounded like just the wrong boxes got deregistered

with old max, it was more a case of just having x# of valid STB

with mediaroom, it pins stuff to SPECIFIC boxes, and that's likely the cause

ps, the register/de-register has gotten a bunch of people

1 - 7 of 7 Posts