Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...time for a new machine.

Have been looking at the Dell XPS 8930 VR series machine which includes, XPS case, i7 9th gen., 16 gig RAM & 512mb SSD with 2 Terabyte HDD for data, with an NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 - Dell is charging $1799 Cdn (as of Nov. 1st, 2019).

Are there folks here with real world experience with these machines and/or other recommendations (other than building one's own). I read some of the Dell Comments section (of current owners) on the Dell site and was not overly impressed by what I saw (a bunch of negative reviews) however . . . I have been satisfied with Dell machines at work and at home in the distant past.

I am using my desktop primarily for image processing (Lightroom/Photoshop), image storing and web browsing.

RECOMMENDATIONS? Post here or DM offline.

Dave in Etobicoke

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8930-desktop/dxps8930ms_f_h41e

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
It looks like a good system. The one caveat is the PSU. Nvidia recommends 500w for the 2060. Dell is providing a 460w PSU. Dell also does not provide any details about the PSU. If it's a generic OEM PSU then it could be problematic. The most common cause of system failure or unreliability are cheap, generic PSUs. For a high end system, you probably want a brand name 80+ Silver, Gold or Platinum model, such as Seasonic or Corsair, rated at 500w or higher. That's especially true if extra components, a second GPU or upgraded GPU might be added. A second 2060 GPU would push the PSU requirements into the 650w-750w range. It looks like that case will take a standard ATX PSU but I would check on that as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts