Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2.0 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $599 (US), includes:

• 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache;
  • 1GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM expandable up to 4GB;
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;
  • 120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;
  • a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);
  • Mini DisplayPort and mini-DVI for video output (adapters sold separately);
  • built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000 BASE-T);
  • five USB 2.0 ports;
  • one FireWire 800 port; and
  • one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog.

The new 2.0 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $799 (US), includes all of the above with following differences

• 2GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM expandable up to 4GB;
  • 320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;

Build-to-order options and accessories for the Mac mini include: a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 80GB, 250GB or 320GB 5400 hard drives.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm not sure what your posting is contributing to this thread, but if Apple is too expensive for you, buy a Dell!

·
Registered
26 Posts
New Mac Mini as HTPC?

Hi all,

Been thinking about getting a HTPC for sometime, the new mac mini has really sparked my intrested as it seems to be perfect for the job.

Anybody got any views or advice on going this route?

Cheers,

P

·
Banned
382 Posts
Mac mini as HTPC

We have a Mac mini hooked up to our living room TV via DVI-HDMI cable, and digital optical to our stereo.

We mostly use it as a PVR. We record HD/SD from over the air antenna using an Elgato EyeTV 250, and play back in the EyeTV software, and also export shows to iTunes (AppleTV format) for longer term storage since it uses a lot less disk space. We watch iTunes material that is on other computers - Mac and PC - via wireless network, e.g. movies, TV shows, music, photos, YouTube, podcasts, etc. We also watch DVDs , check email, and plug digital camera into it to grab digital photos/videos and show them on the TV.

We use a wireless mouse and keyboard with it so I guess we're not using it exactly like an HTPC but really as a computer.

We added an AppleTV to the bedroom TV, it automatically syncs with iTunes on the mini. So we can watch anything that's in iTunes on the mini in the bedroom.

I also export the Daily Show and Colbert Report to iTunes in ipod format, so I can sync them to my ipod touch and watch them while commuting to work on Skytrain.

We're really happy with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i bought one as an impulse buy. storage will be an issue, but i use the mini as a temporary drive, if i'm watching a movie i copy it over, if i want to listen to audio, i stream it from my pc (wired connection). it plays PAL dvds, which is an excellent bonus. toslink to the receiver and i have 5.1... i have an apple discount, so with that, i say its cheaper than building an htpc. and it doesn't look like a computer in your ht. go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts