Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw has adopted a new speed test interface for http://speedtest.shaw.ca/
This screenshot shows the final screen you see after going through the test.

In the graph in the middle of the screen, it shows download speed details — with blue dots representing PowerBoost, max speed and min speed, with your plan's usual download speeds highlighted in orange.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I used that last night and was surprised because I was expecting the old one. It seems to work well except it identifies my account wrong. I have Warp but the graphic indicates Nitro.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran it with my MTS internet account. Kind of fun to see how it exactly tracked at the top of the High-Speed band. It doesn't jump around like that Shaw sample though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just can't figure why they'd display the results in bits per second and then give real world examples in bytes per second. This leaves the user converting to the much more normal (as in web browser download display) MB/s.

I suppose it's a marketing ploy. Just the opposite of using 30,000 cents to buy a new PVR vs. 300.00 dollars.

bits are for kids.. and consoles.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
But download speeds are usually listed on the provider's website/advertizing as Mb/s, not MB. This allows you to directly compare what you're buying with what you're getting, without the 8 conversion.

·
Registered
250 Posts
True enough but for those not as aware, it sure looks good to see a provider with 8 times the speed your browser is reporting. Like I said, it's all a marketing ploy to make it look better. How many people are actually aware that MB is different from Mb? Not many I bet.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a question: The speed test gives you an average download speed for the duration of the test, but most Shaw tiers of services include "SpeedBoost", which accounts for the inflated download speed for most of the test.
Could this also mean the average download speed and the calculations derived from it are skewed upward by "SpeedBoost", meaning that if you're downloading a larger file, the estimated DL times shown in the speed test won't be representative of how long it will actually take?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd say definately squewed. Speedboost is great for small stuff, but runs out when downloading larger files. Not that I'm complaining!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts