Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought the newest model by LG. Regular $2999.99 on sale for $1499.99 got the guy down to $1999.99 (Visions). So far im loving it. Great sleek stylish design. Even got the LG BD370C BluRay on sale from $399(if i remember right) to $149. Pretty sure the BluRay is last years model which is why it was so cheap.

Im having issues with the Picture. It looks great at the store, showed me a movie in Bluray (transformers) to illistrate the picture at its best. Ive been watching a few movies in Bluray and still finding that its "fuzzy" in certain scenes. Wondering if its maybe because its just the way the movie was filmed, not in HD so to speak. I played with the setting and cant seem to find a difference. Wondering if anyone has this problem, solved it, or has advice as to how to fix it.

To top it off, and my biggest concern, i was gaming one night and passed out on the couch for about an hour. The main menu of the game was :mad:"BURNT":mad: into the screen. The following morning i played a "colourful" movie and seemed to get rid of it. i haven't seen it since. Last night we watched a movie, following the movie i popped in a game and played for about a half hour. when i turned the system off the main screen from the XBOX was "BURNT" into my screen and it wasn't on that screen for more than 5 mins. I havent yet attempted to fix it, looking for advice. Im wondering if it burnt because the TV was warm from the movie and just a few mins from an image could burn it?

I've only had the TV for about a month or so and have read mixed reviews about "breaking it in" first. some say to do it others say it makes no difference.

Any Advice as to "breaking it in" to prevent burning? how to avoid it? how to loose the "fuzzy" images? At the moment im a point where im gonna take it back, perhaps look into LCD. Maybe loose some picture quality but wont have the burning problem. Or is it LG, ive heard LG is the best next to Samsung?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok...so Burning takes long periods of time, i didnt realize there was a difference. this image retention thing...its "not" permanent? should i be concerned? So if burn happens when certian images are displayed it will happen if the same image is displayed constantly. when i watch something else between these images the "image" goes away, is there a chance that, even though im changing from gaming to movies, it will eventually become permanent?

What about the fuzziness in the images? is that something fixable in the settings or is it perhaps the movies im watching or just the TV alone. The manuel doesn't seem to have anything regarding specifics, just how to adjust the picture. I mean lets face it, if LG knew its TV was Fuzzy would they even mention how to get rid of it in the manuel...no, its admitting faulty product. I guess what i want to know is did i buy a Faulty product or is there a fix or am i just watching the wrong movies even though there on Bluray? I havent yet had the chance to watch TV yet. im renting the the land lord is in the process of switching providers, so still waiting to see what regular channels look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not read the whole thread. read the first few pages and the last few and didnt help a whole ton...i could have gotten the same answer from the guy at visions, the simplest answer a person could receive with no real explanation...or perhaps there is none, maybe im hoping for more than there is. But i got a general idea as to what Burn in is...would like to read more about it and Image Retention.

My Bluray is connected by HDMI cable...not 100% sure i remember the specs on it but was told that the only one better i can get was designed for 3-D. he said it wouldnt make the veiwing experience much better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i appreciate it.

First of all no, the Bluray is not using a monster cable. I havent had any problems with the bluray other than the fuzzy picture. but perhaps you may have solved the problem...the XBOX, which is the problem with the Image Retention and probably partly because its the one which remains a still image either from pausing a game or w/e but i do have the XBOX hooked up with a Monster cable. if the image retention isnt permanent perhaps i will try changing the cables to see it it makes a difference. never thought about that. Ill let you know how it works out...and believe me if it makes a difference i will change cables.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
1. make sure your TV is in "MOVIE" mode
2. if there is an option called "orbiter" or "pixel shift", turn it on
3. make sure your blu-ray player outputs 1080p
4. maybe your HDMI cable is faulty, I've done enough install to experience a LOT of faulty HDMI cables regardless of brand except for (yes, I know, the "M" word) Monster Cable. Their price is ridiculous though. PM me, I can help you out with HDMI cable. I have lots of cables laying around (brand new but pre-tested by me so there won't be any surprise when I come to a client's house)

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
A faulty HDMI cable will not result in a "fuzzy" picture. HDMI is digital, meaning a stream of 1's and 0's. The data either gets from the source to your display or it doesn't. It is not analog technology. A bad HDMI cable will result in you not getting a picture. It will not result in you seeing a "fuzzy" picture.

Take the time to read the following FAQs:

HDMI: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

Burn In & Break In: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

Do I Need Luxury Cables?: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I suggested HDMI cable because some people miscommunicate sparklies with fuzzy. Sparklies is also a result of either faulty HDMI or poorly shielded HDMI cable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"movie" mode is not an option.
Menu>picture settings>picture mode
1. vivid
2. Standard
3. APS (Auto Power Save)
4. THX Cinema
5. THX Bright Room
6. Game
7. Sport
8. isf EXPERT 1
9. isf EXPERT 2

isf = Imaging Science Foundation (sounded pretty cool when i got the TV but not sure im 100% sure how to use it properly)

i do not see any options like pixel shift or orbiter. Yes the Bluray is Full HD1080p.

I have read something about what you mean by a poorly shielded cable. It mentions it in the manuel for the TV, but regards it as Electromagnetic Waves. In the manuel it shows 2 different coloured "Ferrite Cores" Black for the power cable and white for the LAN to connect to the TV. It came with the white one but my TV came with a dongle stick so i dont need to connect a LAN to my TV. Is there a chance that "sparklies" are a result of Electromagnetic Waves or something to that effect and if so what might i try to fix it.

I find that they appear even when nothing is turned on. The TV is turned on to HDMI imput 1 without the bluray on. the LG symbol stays on the screen with a rotating 3-D box. i can see the "fuzzy" or "sparklies" in that box when it changes from black to Grey. Perhaps its the TV that needs to be sheilded.

·
Registered
264 Posts
@maverick 8teen - get the screen calibrated by a certified ISF engineer. It's money well spent - especially when you spend $2K on it.
Do a search in this forum and you will find people who can do this.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
And while you wait before calibrating the TV, use THX cinema settings.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Use THX Cinema at night with light control .. all lights turned down.

Use THX bright room if you want to turn on some lights.

I've seen bad hdmi cables have sparklies and image tearing ... not just an on off proposition.

Strangely ... some people feel that movie images must be in total focus ... stuff in the foreground and stuff in the background and everything in between.

Regards

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I've seen bad hdmi cables have sparklies and image tearing ... not just an on off proposition.
Unfortunately too many people believe that with HDMI is either you see a picture or not and nothing in between. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish i could say that any of this has helped. Ive tried every mode i can find. even tried to find a pixel fixer of some sorts, have yet to find one in the settings control. i went to the place that i bought the TV from and talked to a guy there. He said that the cable wont make a difference. Perhaps a better one but he agreed that i have (not the best brand) but the best as far as ratings go. The only thing he really sugested is that i can find a setting in the TV where essentially theres a "bubble" that travels across the screen to help reduce the Image Retention and that i try to "update" (he used a different term...not coming to mind right now) my TV and Bluray. That might eliminate the problems altogether as the "factory settings" are never up to par. Well i guess thats my next attempt. im looking for every option at this point that doesn't require a guy to come in and do it for me. Im all for the help but to have someone do it for me and then something causes the TV to "reset" im back to square one.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
in ISF setting for your TV there is a lock function so the setting won't be accidentally disappear. Besides, you can always write down every single setting so in the improbable situation that the TV resets, all you need to do is re-enter the values.

As far as upgrading your TV and Blu-ray, I might misunderstand what the salesperson is trying to say but IMO he's not making any sense whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I can guarantee you that firmware will not solve your problem. Try exchanging the HDMI cable first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i went and bought a surge protector...to help eliminate noise...i was only using a cost effective power bar previously and have noticed a difference in the picture but barley. I may take it back as it wasn't an overly great product anyway. Its the Monster HT800. got it for $40. I thought if anything ill use it on my 32" LCD in the bedroom. I cant seem to get the update on the firmware anyway. Went to the LG website and clicked on it and it doesn't do anything. There isn't a firmware update for the TV...atleast there isn't an option so i assume its because the TV is brand new this year so haven't yet made an update for it. Long and the shorts if it, firmware update is unsuccessful. Haven't yet tried changing the cable for a couple of reasons. By changing the cables i may see the difference in the sparklies but im gonna wait till later in the evening so its more easily visable an as thats the time that i watch movies too. The problem is that if the "Monster HDMI Cable" is the reason that im retaining image from the XBOX then i wont be able to see it till much later in the evening. The only time i can see Image reteniton is when there is no light in the room and it needs to be late at night for that.

Wish i could have done this all last night but it was my Mother-in-Laws 50th last night and my wife told me her 50th was priority and i wasn't allowed to skip dinner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts