Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from Apple rocks.

New Ipod Touch is thinner with a stainless steel design. Difference from 1st generation is integrated volume controls in the side, a built-in speaker and the genius player plus built-in receiver that will make it work with the Nike + iPod system that lets people chart their running workouts.

I'll post press release when it is sent out by apple

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from press release

Existing iTouch owners see last paragraph regarding firmware updates

Apple today introduced the second generation iPod touch featuring an amazingly thin contoured metal design, a gorgeous 3.5-inch widescreen glass display, 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi wireless networking, integrated volume control buttons, a built-in speaker for casual listening, a built-in accelerometer and other advanced sensors, and Apple’s revolutionary Multi-Touch user interface.

The new iPod touch is smaller and lighter than the original, with a sleek new design that features a contoured metal enclosure with integrated volume control buttons and a brilliant 3.5-inch widescreen glass display. With its rounded edges, flush display and curved, more compact design, the new iPod touch is more comfortable to hold and more portable than ever.

The new iPod touch works with the new iTunes 8 Genius feature, allowing customers to automatically create playlists while on the go. Users can preview the playlist Genius creates, refresh the list to choose different songs and save Genius playlists to enjoy again later.

The new iPod touch also features built-in Nike + iPod support making it an incredible workout companion. Users simply place the optional Nike + iPod sensor ($19 US) in their Nike + shoe to seamlessly connect with the new iPod touch to track miles run or sync with the latest generation gym equipment.

Pricing & Availability

The new iPod touch is available immediately for a suggested price of $229 (US) for the 8GB model, $299 (US) for the 16GB and $399 (US) for the 32 GB model.

Existing iPod touch users can update to the latest 2.1 software for just $9.95 to add the new Genius feature. iPod touch owners who already have the 2.0 software get the 2.1 software update for free.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just bought a touch a few weeks ago and the only issues I've had with it so far are the lack of a built in speaker and external volume controls. The addition of these are huge improvements in my opinion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm going to stop buy the Apple retail store tommorrow to see if they have them. Futureshop and BestBuy still have old stock and are totally clueless that the next generation just came out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Steve's a little confused, the new Touch is actually thicker than the old one. Granted it's only 0.05cm. I bought a Touch last month and loved it but then I remembered the Fall refreshes so returned it. The lack of a speaker and volume controls were about it's only weak points and I'm just waiting on the new stock to show up to get it. FS shows Sept 19th as when they will appear and cheaper too although not as much as they should be but that's expected playing currency games for profit.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI: iPhone 2.1 Software Update for iPod touch

This version of the software includes the following improvements and supersedes all previous versions.

• Genius playlist creation
• dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• faster installation of 3rd party applications
• fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
• faster loading and searching of contacts
• other bug fixes

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
FYI: iPhone 2.1 Software Update for iPod touch

This version of the software includes the following improvements and supersedes all previous versions.
They should also mention that it completely breaks factory integration for Hondas (and possibly other makes). :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
no bluetooth

I would've thought they would have added bluetooth, both for connecting to the pc and for wireless headphones.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yeah, the lack of stereo BT on the iPhone has always puzzled me - I mean, it's an ipod AND has Bluetooth already.....why do a half-assed job of it?! And same with the iTouch - BT would seem to have been a nice fit, but I bet no willing (read: paying) partner came through to subsidize the cost like I'm sure Nike did in getting Apple to put the Nike+ running receiver built in.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Lack of stereo BT is probably more because of BT battery life, both for the iPod and the headset. Apple markets the 24hrs of playtime pretty aggressively.

·
Registered
301 Posts
picked one up last night

at Costco 32gb $399

It sure seems thinner than the old one I guess a few good curves makes it seem thinner and sleek

I cant say much about it yet but it seems pretty good. Ive just spent an hour looking at steam train videos on youtube and the picture is clean and crisp and Ive managed to load it up with music I have not tried the Genius feature since I dont quite know how it works yet and the nike thing.... I guess Ill have to get my fat rear off the couch to find out. the internal speaker is better than the internal speakers on my laptop but that does not say much but it does not sound as bad as I though it would its fine for talk etc but music would be painfull after a while somewhat like a 1960's transistor radio.

so far my only complaint is that it is having problems streaming audio from stations that have streaming for the Iphone and Touch like Astal media radio (CFRB). After the initial screen telling me to to press play quicktime then just gives me a (this movie format is not supported) this is a problem that I see from other discussions elseware many Iphone users that upgraded to vers 2 software have encountered as well I guess that since the touch is so new not much has been said yet on this problem.

Itunes 8 still has problems with doing the "configuring windows for Itunes" everytime I launch it if I click no to the reboot message it eventually launches. but that is a separate issue that apple blames on vista.

when I have had a chance to play some more Ill give you my thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
People in ipod forums report problems with 2.1, I would hold off downloading...
I have an iTouch and 2.1 seem to drain the battery life out within 24 hours even when I have it turned off. I had to shut off the wifi and push feature. Didn't have this problem with the earlier updates. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have the battery drain problem with 2.1 but I also had it before the update. I haven't been able to pin down what's causing it because it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes turning off Wifi helps and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Price drops are good, but I saved even more by ordering a refurbished first generation iPod Touch from the Apple Store. With expedited shipping and 13% tax, it came to around $400 (32GB), which is the price of a 2nd gen new 32GB without tax and with the slower shipping method. It looks and works like new as well, and the speaker and external volume controls are nice but not necessities for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts