Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for my first Home theatre, and I'm looking for a good system with a low price - less than 1000$. I don't need a blu ray or dvd as I already have a PS3, and I do have a good Panasonic plasma tv 50in full 1080 with 4 hdmi.

What would you suggest for me?

I saw this two systems at Costco.ca, are they good enough or should I look for something else?

Yamaha®’s YHT30102HD home-theatre system features the HTR3063 1080p-compatible HDMI™ repeater (4 inputs / 1 output) AV receiver bundled with the Jamo® A102HCS5 speakers and SPS350 speakers stands - 500$

Yamaha’s YHT7863HD with Yamaha® NSAP7800 Speaker Package and Yamaha® YSTSW012 Subwoofer - 700$

I'm really not sure what to look for but what I want is a good surround sound for when I'm watching HD movies, sports, blu ray or when palying ps3 games...

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
$1k should give you just enough of a budget to stay away from cheap HTIB solutions and buy separate/bundled components that perform well. For example, you could wait for the Energy Take 5.1 to go on sale, then pick up an inexpensive Sony/Yamaha/Pioneer AVR to go along with it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just picked up a Yamaha 4063 for just under $400 incl tax. That should leave enough for reasonable set of speakers on sale in your budget.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What do you require in terms of a receiver? If you only want ONE cable (HDMI) going to your TV, that narrows your options down. +1 to the suggestion on the Energy speakers...that would probably constitute a good "inexpensive" starter system. For that budget, I would be looking on Kijiji or canukaudiomart for better used stuff...that's what I did anyway.
Some suggestions: Energy RC Micro 5.1 System - $400 at crutchfield. Thats a full system. Or you could start with a pair of RC-30's for $400 (towers) and slowly build up the rest over time and savings. Audioadvisor has RC-30's for $200 each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts