Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At futureshop today saw a new HD box 4642 (if I remember # correctly).
Replaces the 4250. Styled simliar to the new PVR box, black in colour with prominent Cisco name.

Looked at the packageing it was in, not on display, no new features or connectors that I could see or mentioned.
Salesman said it had the new Guide \firmware. Priced at $319, older 4250 still $249.

·
Registered
17 Posts
New 8642 box but oh the price

Hi,
We were at a large TV electronics sale today at the Delta Markham Hotel.
It's also on tomorrow if anyones interested. Rogers and Bell are there big time with displays. Most of the TV's were Sony. They had stacks and stacks of STB's, the 8642 was $249 and the pvr $349. Picked up some new channel brochures dated 10/10.
They say the 8642 is priced so high because it just was released Oct 1st.
Expect it to drop to sale price of $199 or $149 for Christmas at non Rogers owned outlets.
Talked to a real nice young lady in senior marketing at Rogers, really knew her stuff. Talked to her about Blu Sky (FreeHD) and the OVP but she said what they were really concerned about was Bell Fibe. We told her we thought Rogers was better with fiber to the box and RG6 to the home , Bell just has a way better STB and way way better GUI. Could have went on for an hour but thankfully for her I didn't. Just told her to read the forum at Digital Home. It's all there :). Almost had a good time. And Bell , they had blue balloons.. oh wow.
Take care everyone and to everyone a good night.

·
Registered
17 Posts
8642 Looks and specs.

Sorry I forgot, if anyone wants to see what it looks like just search for my post of 2010-08-20 with the title "NEW 4642HD STB from Rogers" . It's in the
.pdf from Cisco or just go to the Cisco web site.

·
Registered
205 Posts
At least they've now got some new Digital Boxes - it's a step in the right direction. I'm just really wanting them to improve on their GUI - it just seems so out of date.

I'm currently using FibeTV because of the price - I called Rogers, and they couldn't even match the pricing I was able to get from Bell.

If Rogers could release a slick new GUI, I'd definitely think about going back, but the setup that Bell's FibeTV gives is amazing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts