Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
341 - 360 of 895 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Here is a question, is anyone having issues with the 'offical' Rogers PVR extender eHDD's?
I don't use the Rogers PVR extender but the eHDD I bought are officially called "PVR Extender" (by Iomega). I use three of these with no problem. Most of my clients use these with no problem either. The ones that don't use Iomega PVR Extender use Roger's PVR Extender and none of them have any problem either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mrcanada: Again, too bad you didn't get the WD Black at the same time you got your enclosure.... Some of the greens were a problem in the eHDD thread even before the firmware update, even though yours was working...
Thanks for the reply "57"....I wasn't having any problems with my Green HD before the firmware update, so I thought that I would just switch my enclosure as people reported success with the Vantec NexStar 3. I think that the older Vantec enclosures had a different chipset than the new ones (the old ones seem to still work with the new firmware). When I spoke with the Rogers 2nd level tech today he stated that they were working with Cisco to come up with a solution and would send out a new firmware update when it becomes available to fix this and other issues. I won't "hold my breath"....that's why I'm trying different things to find a fix myself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Here is a question, is anyone having issues with the 'offical' Rogers PVR extender eHDD's?
A friend of mine has one, and it was not working properly when I last spoke with him. It would work for a bit then stop working, then work again.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
A friend of mine has one, and it was not working properly when I last spoke with him.
See now that is the key, because its an offically sanctioned product. I could see Rogers saying to all of us, you don't have an offical Rogers eHDD so if it works great, but you are unsupported. However, if their own product isn't working, thats a larger issue they got to fix as it needs to be supported...

·
Registered
15 Posts
EVERYONE having problems with their rogers External drive submit a ticket! Insist on submitting it. The more people that do that the more they are forced to solve the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
See now that is the key, because its an offically sanctioned product...
It's a joke that Rogers wouldn't test their own branded PVR expander drive with this latest firmware, before rolling it out to their customers...for a so-called visionary company, this lack of foresight is remarkable. I actually had to educate the 2nd level tech I spoke with on the phone today about the problem. I also told him to take a look at this website to illustrate that this wasn't just an isolated incident. He said that he is aware of this site.

·
Super Moderator
56,798 Posts
It's likely that they did test their expanders, however, even their expanders may have different chipsets (enclosures, drives, etc) in them - over time causing them the same problem we're seeing. If their drives don't work, then they'll need to fix it quickly... If I recall, they had 160 GB originally, then 500, then 1TB?

·
Registered
90 Posts
No problems with ny WD Black 1 TB and Vantec Nexstar 300.

Those seemed to be the only combination that no one had problems with when expanding the 8300 and so I took this forum's suggestion and bought that combination.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My update arrived late last week. Saw the different font, tried to rewind a live broadcast and got the black screen. No problem - did a full reboot, and all was well, and the external 500Gb hard drive was seen and shows played fine.

Yesterday (Sun Nov 28), I noticed that rewind and pause no longer worked on live broadcasts. Another reboot fixed that.

Was there perhaps a second update? I find it odd that basic functions like pause and rewind suddenly stop functioning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Speaking with rogers tech support right now and this guy says there is a big problem with 3rd party and Rogers extenders so they are working on a fix. I can't be bothered to wait for them to develop and test new firmware so I'm heading to the store to exchange for an 8642.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rogers acts like this is some new problem

I have an owned (not rented) 8300HD PVR with external 1TB Apricorn DVR Xpander. After the update the PVR doesn't work with the Xpander either connected or disconnected, except to watch TV shows (no pause, rewind, list or anything). After submitting 3 tickets to Rogers, having them 'reset' my PVR twice and having rebooted twice a day for 4 days no the the problem is not fixed. After reboot the first message I get when I press LIST is 'Video Recorder Not Ready. Your recording device is being checked. One moment, please', then it disappears and a few minutes later when I press LIST I get the message 'Disk Trouble', etc. I've fear I've lost 2-1/2 years of HD programs I saved. I don't want to reformat the internal 8300HD PVR disk (which might solve the problem) just in case there is a fix coming that will save the programs that are there. I hope the programs on the external disk are still there when and if the PVR ever starts working properly again.

So this is a problem for some people even when an external hard disk is not being used. Also now I am wondering (as some people have their 8300HD PVRs working) whether this is a problem only with certain vintage 8300HD PVRs. Mine is 3-4 years old. This would result in people who are leasing their units to have them replaced by Rogers with newer vintage 8300HD PVRs or the new 8642 with owners of 8300HD PVRs that don't work being SOL and being forced to purchase a new 8642. I am not saying that this is a conspiracy by Rogers and that they designed it this way but it sure would have been easy enough for them to do.

So I am wondering what the age is of the 8300HD PVRs that people have that don't work.

Every time I call Rogers acts like this is some new problem and affecting only me and asks me to bring the PVR in for service, until I tell them if they look at their screen they will see that I own it, not rent it. Then they tell me since I own it they can do nothing. After me telling them I know this is a system-wide problem and have seen many others on the internet with the same problem they finally admit that it appears to only be a problem with 8300HD PVRs and that they are working on a 'fix', but fall short of admitting their update screwed up my PVR.

Doesn't look like submitting more tickets is going to help. I see a class-action suit happening. My TV service is basically unusable as I never watch live TV.

What to do? Should we be paying for service we aren't getting?

·
Super Moderator
56,798 Posts
attach I believe your situation is unique. People who have eHDD problems have them go away if they disconnect the eHDD and use only the internal.

I believe you may have an iHDD problem (bad drive as mentioned by the "disk trouble" message) and that you will likely need to replace it - see the iHDD thread in this forum for instructions/recommendations. It may simply be coincidence that this got worse with the firmware - although the increased drive activity may have made a minor contribution... A reformat may bring it back to life, but as you noted, your programming will be lost. Also if you get "bad disk" messages, it's usually time to replace the disk.

If you wish to attempt keeping the programming, you can clone the internal (iHDD thread), but if the information is corrupt, then this will not recover it. The eHDD will not work if the iHDD is bad.

As an FYI, the PVR is a time-shift, not archiving device, as discussed many times on this forum. Many people who keep their units/drives for years have their indexes corrupted or drives go bad. It's just the nature of the beast. If you wish to archive, you need to save to a DVD recorder (480i) or to an HTPC (Hauppauge), or simply accept that after years of operation the index or programming will possibly be lost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
attach I believe your situation is unique. People who have eHDD problems have them go away if they disconnect the eHDD and use only the internal.
No, I also had the 'disk trouble' problem as well in this whole affair that was only fixed by doing a format :( This was after I had given up on the external drive. Seems the firmware is a real mess. I'm also having trouble with 'fragmented' recordings and my guide not showing scheduled recordings in red.

I think its policy for support to deny there is a problem on their side. I just lucked out once with a tech that was honest. He also mentioned it is probably an issue with a specific hardware revision of the 8300HD that was not fully tested with the new firmware.

·
Super Moderator
56,798 Posts
Kessler said:
No, I also had the 'disk trouble' problem as well in this whole affair that was only fixed by doing a format
I guess I should have said "relatively" unique, but unique doesn't really allow for modifiers. ;) If the drive worked after a format, then would that not indicate a problem with the drive? Fragmented recordings could be signal strength or Fox Bufallo related and also happened before this firmware update

The "no red" for scheduled recordings also happened before the firmware update on certain scheduled recordings - if you were going through the guide, etc. For example, a weekly/daily scheduled recording will not show in red until the recording is within a six-day window of recording. If it's 7 days away, it will not show until the next day. For example, I record Daily Planet every day, but if it's Tuesday, the Monday programme will not yet be "red". Once it's Wednesday, the Monday programme shows "red".

Also as you're surfing the IPG, the "red" often doesn't come up until you "pass" the show and go back, etc. This is probably because the PVR is concentrating on the IPG information in its memory and only after a while does it shift to giving you the recording "red" on the programme, but this "problem" has always been there. Usually when you're on the programme there will be an "REC" indicator on the top left of the IPG beside the INFO button. Sometimes, if the PVR is not very "busy", then the red seems to display just fine, but that was the case before as well.

Please don't think I'm in any way trying to defend Rogers. I'm simply trying to help people on this forum as much as I can and also advise what issues were there even before the firmware update.

I'm heading to the store to exchange for an 8642.
Be aware that the 8642 also has issues and that it's missing a couple of the things that the 8300 has:

- Call Display
- Quick Start Guide Option

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1121780#post1121780

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks @57. You're better than Rogers support. My problem is not unique, as shown by the last poster. The following is what I did to solve my problem (spurred on by your post):

I hardly thought that my drive decided to fail after 4 years right at the moment Rogers issued a software update and that it needed to be replaced, especially with so many people having various and sundry problems at the same time. What I think happened is that Rogers did not test this update with all versions of the 8300HD PVR before releasing it. I happen to have a version of the unit that the update will not work with automatically.

This is proven by the fact that after your post (which I did before @Kessler's post), I decided to reformat the internal 8300HD PVR hard disk (which was never replaced before and is the native one that originally came with the unit, so we can remove 'foreign' internal hard disks as a source of the problem). The external HD was disconnected when I did this. I reformatted the 8300 hard disk by turning the 8300 on, pressing PAUSE on the remote until the 'MAIL' icon was lit, then pressed 'PAGE DN' or '-' once on the remote, then 'LIST' on the remote 3 times (which as I pressed it the display on the PVR changed from 'HDD1' to 'HDD2' to 'HDD3' to 'HDDF'). I then powered off the unit by pressing the power key on the remote, which didn't seem to work, and then the power key on the unit, which also didn't seem to work but a few moments later the unit turned off. When I turned it on the unit loaded the Interactive Program Guide and press 'LIST' the recording screen came up like before (albeit with the new fonts, etc). All my recordings were gone, of course, since I reformatted the internal hard disk, but I was hoping that the external hard disk, which I did not reformat, still contained its programs.

I found that shows now recorded, and scheduled recordings showed up, pause and rewind worked. So, I disconnected the power cable from the 8300, disconnected the power cable from the external hard disk, then connected the external hard disk to the 8300, then powered up the external hard disk and then reconnected the power cable to the 8300. After the 8300 turned on I got a message on the TV screen saying the external hard disk works with but no message to reformat. But, upon pressing 'LIST', I found that there were no recorded programs :(.

I then entered the Diagnostic screen to see if the external HD was being recognized (to do this, with 8300 turned on, press 'SELECT' until 'MAIL' icon lights up, then press 'INFO' button and diagnostic mode will show on the TV screen. Press 'PAGE UP' or 'PAGE DN' on the 8300 or the remote to scroll through the pages). I found that on page 18/39 'DVR HDD INFORMATION' only the WDD 160 Internal disk shows up, but on page 33/39 'HDD INFO' I saw that ' DeviceID: 1' and 'DeviceID: 2' are displayed but with 'Model, Serial, Capacity & Removable' for each all showing as 'UNAVAILBLE'. Before the Rogers update, this used to show the capacity, etc, of the two drives. When I press 'LIST' then 'B', I see that 'Recording Space Used' shows 1%, but I will not know if this is 1% of the internal HDD space or 1% of both the internal and external HDD space until I have more programs recorded. I will report back on this after I have more shows recorded (doesn't take long to fill up the 160GB disk)

I have tried all the functions with the external HD connected and everything seems to work properly. However, there is at least 2 seconds of totally black screen when I pause a live program (not when I pause a recorded program) until the paused picture shows up instead of being instant, which never happened before the Rogers update. I believe is happening to many others out there.

So, I think this proves that my woes are a result of the Rogers update not being properly tested on some versions of the 8300HD PVR (likely older versions as mine is about 4 years old) and not my hard disk failing at exactly the same time as the update, although yes my HD could have had some corrupted files, headers, etc, that the update simply could not deal with. A friend of mine who bought his 6 months ago only had to reboot to solve his problems and he has the same external 1TB Apricorn HDD that I do. He did not lose the programs.

I actually bought SageTV and 2 Hauppage HD PVRs well before this all happened so that I can have shows recorded on an HTPC and backed up in HD Format so that I never lose them again, but didn't have them fully installed. This will certainly make me do it. And, SageTV is certainly not without it's glitches, etc., but at least you don't lose programs already recorded and you can reformat them for the iPhone, iPad, etc.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
attach, the indexes for all recordings are stored on the internal drive. When you reformat the internal drive, you lose all recordings including those on the external drive.

·
Super Moderator
56,798 Posts
Thanks jlet, yep, the index (for all recordings) is on the internal HDD and is lost if you reformat the internal. The programmes are actually still on the eHDD, but without the index, you can't access them, so they're "gone".

To address one other point, the i/eHDD information that used to be available in the diagnostics is no longer there, as indicated in post 1 of this thread. After you have recorded more programming, you should be able to tell if the PVR is using just the iHDD as you stated. For example, 5 hours of HD recording would take up about 20-25% of a 160 GB iHDD, but only about 3% of the combined drives you have.

It's also typically possible to hear the eHDD being accessed when recording or playing - on my Vantec enclosure, the light also flashes when recording/playing. I believe when doing two recordings at the same time, one goes to one drive and one to the other, but I can't be sure of that. I do know that the "next" recording will go to the drive with the most space available percentage-wise, so with your larger eHDD, most recordings will go to it, rather than the internal - a ratio of about 6:1 based on the size of your drives.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can add me to the disgruntled list of eHDD users of the 8300HD.
I find it funny that bad stuff start happening Sunday nights.
My past recording now freeze or don't play at all.
I don't know what else to say, I would be here typing all day.

Homer

341 - 360 of 895 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.