Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 1724 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Wait ... folders? We get folders with this?

M.Richards, please expand -- are these just automatic "folders" based on the show name (i.e. all episodes of "House" in the "House" folder) or can you set up folders and direct which recordings go where? The former is nice as it will reduce the amount of scrolling you have to do, but the latter would allow me to segregate kid programs from parent programs, which I really want (and perhaps give some kind of PIN/password protection).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't get too excited about "folders". They are just groups of common recordings that gets displayed under the "folder" name.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Basically, if you record a show with the same title more than once, it'll automatically create a folder and put both episodes in it. You can delete the folder, and its contents with one process (requiring a PIN), rather than having to delete each item individually.

·
Registered
52 Posts
agreed - i've been a tester also, and it's gotten better since that first version, but it's still pretty slow. and there's still lots of bugs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Received new update

Just received the new guide update on only one of my 8642 pvrs. I like the features but seems to be buggy and slow so far.

·
Registered
317 Posts
@yyzlhr: Significantly slower than the old one. But the first beta version of the new IPG was even more sluggish than the current version now. So I hope Rogers continues to improve on the response time.

@sammey: Remote TV Manager does not currently work with the 8642 with or without the new IPG. I've asked Rogers about the ETA but I have not received a response.

@daveharr: The scheduling management was lacking in the first beta version. There were some things that I could no longer do that I used to be able to do with the new IPG, such as scheduling a manual recording. When I was trying to set a manual recording, picking the time & channel was a chore because I couldn't key in the numbers with the number pad. I had to scroll the times or the channel number. Not fun when I'm trying to schedule a recording on channel 5xx at 11:50pm because things always defaulted to channel 1 and 12:00am. I haven't tried it again since and there has been 2 updates pushed to the box since then, so I'm hoping they have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Same feedback here.
Buggy and SLOOOOWWWWW.
Also it seems that they are wasting screen space. They could fit a whole lot more on the screen if they wanted to (and they should, by the way). They can play with the fonts, and all the wasted (blank) space in the channel letters part too.
While in the guide, all you see is the tops of people's heads (useless) - versus seeing a small picture-in-picture (useful). This is not a step forward.

I am going to give it a bit of time to get used to the new format, and then chime in with a more detailed review.

I sure hope Rogers makes available a way to get feedback from its customers on this new guide - because I hate to think that this is their idea of a fully-baked improvement on what we had before.
This seems more like a "beta" version of what we are supposed to have.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can choose a different IPG theme if you want to see PIP when viewing the guide. This option wasn't available in the first beta version, but it was added to a subsequent update. My wife had the same complaint because she was so used to seeing a PIP of the current channel while you "surf" the guide. Now she is able to do it.

You need to switch the theme to "Classic Modern HD" view and reboot the box.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It should automatically get pushed to customers once it is rolled out for your area. Make sure you have the box turned off when you're not watching it as it will only get pushed when the box is off (I think).

And if it doesn't get pushed to you, you can always reboot the box and it will install the new firmware if it's available.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Saved Movies

Is there any way I can transfer my SA 8300 saved movie’s to a jump drive and then upload them to an 8642.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nothing here in scarborough yet.

How slow is the new UI? Is it at least usable?
I guess it's usable. Seems really slow, laggy, not very intuitive and freezes all the time. I have to keep on rebooting when it freezes. The new ui takes many steps back and only a couple steps forward. I almost feel like I wanna swap back to the 8300 on my rental which hasn't received the update (my purchased 8642 has the updae). Looks like the 8642 will eventually support the remote tv manager. There is a section in settings that allows you to name the pvr just like in quick settings on the 8300.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Changes in the update I don't like so far

1) One thing I disliked right away. The favourite button on the remote no longer cycles through your favourite channels. Instead it brings up the guide and shows your favourite channels. I wish there was a way to disable this and keep the finction the way it was before the update.

2) Also if you choose to hide channels from the guide or from channel surfing. It won't let you tune to those channels manually even if you enter the channel number.

3) When watching a recorded show. The page up and page down button no longer allows you to jump ahead or back in 15 minute intervals like before the update.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Has everyone here posting recieved the new update?? I still have not recieved it... I have the Enhanced HD Cisco Box, not the PVR. Has anyone that has the same box as me recieve the update yet?

21 - 40 of 1724 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.