Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fibe TV - Home | Bell Canada .

Cloud PVR - Store up to 320 hours of content, record up to 10 shows at once, and keep them for 365 days.

Voice Remote powered by Google Assistant - Tune in to a channel; Ask Google to open your favourite apps; Control smart home devices.

Universal search - Find shows and movies, displaying all results across Fibe TV and your streaming services.

Compact Fibe TV Box - Android TV box supports 4K HDR. Dimensions: 3.82 x 3.82 x 0.9 in.

Google Play Store - Access thousands of apps.

Fibe TV app - Stream your live and on demand channels, set and watch your recordings at any time, from anywhere and on any device.

The above link may not work unless your province is set to ON or QC on Bell.ca.

----

Press Release, July 26, 2022 - Bell unveils the next evolution of TV and entertainment with new Fibe TV

The new Fibe TV service is available now for residential customers in Ontario and Québec. Existing customers looking to upgrade to the new features can call Bell for further details.

It's not clear if existing customers will have to replace their disk-based PVR or if they can run a hybrid system.

----

Hardware links for Arris VIP7802.

Commscope spec sheet PDF

FCC ID ACQ-VIP7802 .

· Registered
218 Posts
Does this mean that Bell is moving away from the existing system of the FIBE TV PVR and receivers for additional TV's?
Will I be required to switch to this new streaming device with its cloud PVR in the future, or is this just another method of receiving FIBE TV?

elyk

· Super Moderator
21,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears that Cloud PVR is the default for new customers, unless you want the Starter TV package without internet, in which case you would get whole home PVR with a physical hard drive. The only equipment listed in the equipment section is the Cloud PVR box and remotes for all the various boxes, although existing customers can probably order additional STBs if they need them.

It will probably be years down the road before Bell forces existing customers to switch to Cloud PVR.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
Cloud PVR has the ability to prevent skipping or fast forwarding through commercials. That's a feature that most broadcasters have wanted since the PVR was invented but it was not implemented for physical PVRs. It's already implemented for most VOD and streaming services that have commercials. Whether it is implemented with Fibe Cloud PVR I don't know but I have not doubt that it will be eventually because copyright holders and broadcasters have the option to make it a condition of broadcasting and rebroadcasting rights.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
I currently have programmes over two years old that I have just not had time to see. I see nothing in that features list that makes me excited. It sounds more like hype and buzzwords than anything substantial.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
Hype is Bell's second name. What I see is service with more restrictive policies that requires the internet. The nice thing about PVRs that don't need an internet or cloud server connection is that It's possible to watch TV when the internet and outside feed is not available. Right now, it looks like satellite or OTA TV are the only ones left with that capability.

· Registered
218 Posts
Cloud PVR has the ability to prevent skipping or fast forwarding through commercials.
I believe they could easily change Bell's present PVRs to prevent fast forwarding through ads. I know when I use the re-watch feature on network channels that I'm not able to skip. Bell seems to have resorted to banner advertising where they put a rectangular graphic display that stretches across the top, bottom, or sides of the screen. Quite annoying.

I wonder if the new FIBE streamer is preventing ad skipping right now, or is this something you read will happen in the future?

elyk

· Registered
218 Posts
Do you actually need the Bell streaming box if you have a TV (Android smart TV) or box (Apple TV, Nvidia Shield) that is compatible with their app?
I don't see why you would need the box. I sometimes watch FIBE TV on my PC computer, and you can certainly download the app onto your smartphone and watch FIBE TV without a box..

I see when I go to Bell FIBE TV-Receivers, they show $8 a month for renting the box, so you could get away without paying that.

elyk

· Registered
15 Posts
I don't see why you would need the box. I sometimes watch FIBE TV on my PC computer, and you can certainly download the app onto your smartphone and watch FIBE TV without a box.. I see when I go to Bell FIBE TV-Receivers, they show $8 a month for renting the box, so you could get away without paying that. elyk
Actually you can skip while using restart by starting the following show if it allows restart too, and scroll back to the point of the previous program you actually wanna watch. You need fast fingers though if you are fast-backwarding on the fastest speed though lol.
Just a reminder: the streaming quality is always the best on TV than on any other device, including desktops or laptops. You can compare them by looking at the estimation of the data usage under Bell’s settings.

· Registered
15 Posts
Do you actually need the Bell streaming box if you have a TV (Android smart TV) or box (Apple TV, Nvidia Shield) that is compatible with their app?
Definitely yes if you wanna watch 4K program. For the legacy plan, we can only watch recordings on the dvr after 60 days. Now the app description doesn’t say that but it’s still the case at least under the older box. I guess the new dvr probably works in the same way, otherwise they will cancel the box entirely one day.

· Registered
76 Posts
Fibe TV - Home | Bell Canada .

Cloud PVR - Store up to 320 hours of content, record up to 10 shows at once, and keep them for 365 days.

Voice Remote powered by Google Assistant - Tune in to a channel; Ask Google to open your favourite apps; Control smart home devices.

Universal search - Find shows and movies, displaying all results across Fibe TV and your streaming services.

Compact Fibe TV Box - Android TV box supports 4K HDR. Dimensions: 3.82 x 3.82 x 0.9 in.

Google Play Store - Access thousands of apps.

Fibe TV app - Stream your live and on demand channels, set and watch your recordings at any time, from anywhere and on any device.

The above link may not work unless your province is set to ON or QC on Bell.ca.

----

Press Release, July 26, 2022 - Bell unveils the next evolution of TV and entertainment with new Fibe TV

The new Fibe TV service is available now for residential customers in Ontario and Québec. Existing customers looking to upgrade to the new features can call Bell for further details.

It's not clear if existing customers will have to replace their disk-based PVR or if they can run a hybrid system.

----

Hardware links for Arris VIP7802.

Commscope spec sheet PDF

FCC ID ACQ-VIP7802 .
Save your money. Just buy the new apple tv 4k and free your tv from the cable bloated nonsense. Also get rid of the cable box and buy an antenna. TV should be free!!. Wishing Canada would hurry up and upgrade to ATSC 3.0. ATSC 3 is being implemented in USA, Jaimaca and South Korea. Korea broadcast the 2018 olympics in 4K over atsc 3. Canada is so far behind.

· Registered
76 Posts
Definitely yes if you wanna watch 4K program. For the legacy plan, we can only watch recordings on the dvr after 60 days. Now the app description doesn’t say that but it’s still the case at least under the older box. I guess the new dvr probably works in the same way, otherwise they will cancel the box entirely one day.
No, you do not a box from Bell to watch 4K programs. You can watch 4K on Apple TV.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
I have some questions for anyone who has the VIP 7802:
1. Is there any new recording functionality that isn't present in the VIP 5662?
2. Is the Guide still text only?
3. Does the info. in the Guide now include Series and Episode No. information. I find it ironic that the VIP 5662 doesn't show this even though the Fibe APP does.

Thank you.

· Registered
15 Posts
I have some questions for anyone who has the VIP 7802:
1. Is there any new recording functionality that isn't present in the VIP 5662?
2. Is the Guide still text only?
3. Does the info. in the Guide now include Series and Episode No. information. I find it ironic that the VIP 5662 doesn't show this even though the Fibe APP does.

Thank you.
I have been reading the official website and all kinds of forums for some time.
1. 10 recordings max simultaneously. It’s supposed to support Google Voice, but Bell is fixing it. When it’s done, we probably can record via voice.
2. Afaik, currently the legacy box and Fibe tv apps on iOS, TVOS and Bell streamer can show a background image if it’s available. Or you mean some accessibility function that will read the description out?
3. I saw some discussions on Reddit saying the new dvr can bring up CC option just like in Bell Streamer, the same way as streaming services. It’s probably gonna be very similar to the streamer.

· Registered
15 Posts
Will this be available everywhere Fibe TV is? or Just certain area's?
Heck I'm still waiting for feature MTS has on their receivers to come to Ottawa's Fibe receivers?
Probably just Ontario and Quebec in the foreseeable future. ALT tv has been under the new "Fibe TV App package" name for about one year, but still, even Alliant doesn't have it. ALT TV was launched in 2017 and Bell has fully owned Alliant since 2014 lol.
However, shouldn't Ottawa has the same equips as the rest of Ontario and the Greater Montreal region? The theme packs of MTS are worthy if it's billed by day just like most channels outside of the starter plan in ON and Greater mtl. On the other hand, the "additional choices" are too pricey even without the min 30-day requirement. Single prices of some of the channels are much higher than those in ON and QC.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts