Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That's great. Now we have a new tax on energy (which is what much of the HST affects) and a new tax on energy saving devices (CFLs.) Why do I feel like I've just been screwed by the Ontario government? Because I have?! :confused:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A spokeswoman for Stewardship Ontario, the agency overseeing the new levies, said a $2.5-million media campaign to publicize the changes only began once the program went into effect.

“Our thinking is the best time to start with the public education campaign is when you actually have a program in place,” said Amanda Harper Sevonty. “If you do it farther out and they can’t get involved in recycl[ing], I’m not sure how effective it would be.”
They knew darn well that holy heck would be raised over yet another new tax.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Once you realize that the goal of government is to get all its money back in as few cycles as possible and that there is no limit to the power that can be applied to the vacuum attached to your wallet, no new fee or tax can surprise you anymore.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Did I hear on the national news tonight that this 'fee' has been suspended, at least temporarily?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Absolutely correct. And you are one of the few people who are saying what actually happened yesterday correctly too. Most people are (incorrectly) saying the eco fees are gone...

i.e. The direct collection of the eco fees by Ontario retailers has been temporarily suspended. There is more, but that is the relevant gist of it at this point.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yes, the "eco tax" has been temporarily suspended whilst the government figures out a way to disguise this tax some other way.

There was a letter to the editor in our local paper the other day from a person who purchased a new television set and paid a recycling tax at the time of his purchase. He called the waste management department at city hall and asked how he could get his old television set recycled. He was informed to simply place it at the curb and the city would pick it up, which is what he did.

Well, this person was shocked when he witnessed his old television in a wooden console was picked up and tossed into the back of a garbage packer along with other household waste and trucked off to the landfill.

So much for electronics recycling.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And what about all the money they are spending to 'advertise' the fee? How can they justify spending over a million dollars on an 'eco' fee? Talk about an oxy-moron!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts