Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Ok, fine. I don't think the OP cares what it's called, he just wants the latest model. Joe, I believe that the Android-based phones have better location/GPS-based features. And there are certainly internet radio and e-reader apps for it. I'd still go for an iPhone but that's just my personal preference, having invested in an iPad and AirPlay devices.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And likely slimmer, lighter, better form factor ... All these things would be things I would be looking for.

I'm really undecided right now between iPhone 4, nexus s by waiting for it, or waiting for a dual core android phone.

Issue is my bday is coming up early february and wife wants to get me the phone, so I either say wait or get me the iPhone.

· Registered
5,485 Posts
And likely slimmer, lighter, better form factor
Have you actually held an iPhone 4 and used it?

Form factor is one of those things that can be very user specific. The iPhone 4/Nexus One/HTC Desire/Nexus S are all about the same size. IHMO, they are the ideal size for a smart phone.

Any smaller and the touchscreen/keyboard gets hard to use unless you have very small hands or fingers. Any bigger and it starts to get less pocket friendly.

If you haven't actually tried any of the phones firsthand (pardon the pun) you really should.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Interesting about Wind...that may be the way to go.
You have to evaluate what you need. Earlier you told me an alternate wouldn't work because you're in Huntsville a lot. Now you say it may be the way to go.

Pretty impossible to give advice when the goalposts keep changing!

· Registered
711 Posts
Interesting about Wind...that may be the way to go. That being said, since Wind would support the Nexus S.

What is your opinion about picking up the Nexus S (full price) from a store in the US and getting it onto the Wind network? Any caveats with that?
The Nexus S would work fine. I have a few of them right now, and it's an amazing phone. It's already unlocked, you would just need to place your wind sim card and configure a few settings.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do you think it's worth waiting for the new phones coming out, or to just go for a nexus s right now.

Also, I live one and a half hours from the border. Would the best way to get a nexus s to just go to a bb USA and by one, then bring it back and set it up on wind?

· Registered
711 Posts
Getting a phone now or waiting for something newer is totally up to you.. There will always be something newer coming.

You can go to Bestbuy in the US and purchase a Nexus S - thats the only way to do it through retail. You could also look online on kijiji or similar sites, you may find some, but probably not as cheap as buying it at the store yourself.

At one point they will sell it in Canada as well, but I don't think there's a date set.

Another option if you want to save some $$ is looking for a used Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant which is the tmobile usa version of the galaxy S (and will work on wind if unlocked). Its quite similar to the Nexus S in terms of hardware specs.

· Registered
314 Posts
iOS 4.3 Personal Hotspot?

I think you indicated that your wife has a wifi iPad and the ability to tether is a feature you're looking for.

Have you read that iOS 4.3 (in beta now) will support WiFi tethering for up to 5 devices (called Personal Hotspot)? See Personal Hotspot for GSM devices coming to iOS 4.3

If Rogers allows it, it will enable iPad tethering without the need to jailbreak the iPhone - however, it would kill their iPad $20 data sharing with iPhone plan. I can see Rogers charging an additional fee to enable the feature (hopefully at less than $20 per month).

Rogers, Bell, and Telus in Canada are all running UMTS networks on 850 MHz (band 5) and 1900MHz (band 2). Rogers also has some 850MHz channels set aside for 2G GSM, and both Bell and Telus are still serving CDMA2K customers on 850MHz. But they all use some channels on 850MHz for UMTS 3G. AT&T in the US is also using band 5 and band 2 for UMTS 3G.

The Nexus S supports bands 1, 4 and 8. 1 and 8 are used in Europe. Band 4, the 'AWS' band, is used by T-Mobile in the US and Mobilicity and Wind in Canada
I've read that the Nexus S will be coming to Canada and might also add support 850/1900 MHz (in addition to AWS) - you may want to wait for that version if you want to go with Rogers/Bell/Telus.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
future versions of iOS are also expected to get Personal hotspots if the blogs are correct

· Registered
796 Posts
The big three really don't discount. If you are coming up to the end of a plan with them, they might throw you a bit of a bone but not going in.

Best bet is to look at one of the new carriers.
Just discovered the stupidity, of trying to negotiate with the big three. I recently purchased an open, used smartphone and tried to test where the best deal was. My current provider, Rogers, had a systems access fee, on a plan that I was on, of over $6.00 per month. After 13 years with them, I tried to get that removed. Not without a new contract and they still nail you a fee of about $3.00 called a Governenment Regulatory Recovery Fee. It has nothing to do with government, but contributes to Rogers building high speed internet for rural area's. I don't live in a rural area and shouldn't have to pay for someone else that doesn't have high speed in the country. They would not wave, so I shopped the competition.

I started with Bell Mobility. I looked at their plans and the plans were almost identical to Rogers. Same price, but no GRR fee. They also said they could knock off $5.00 a month by me bundling my internet and home phone. Sounded good, until they added a $35.00 fee to start, a $10.00 sim card and another setup fee of $15.00. Total.....$60.00. So much for the $5.00 a month savings for bundling. Between dealing with the clerks at Bell World and their Hindu Masters in India, I got no satisfaction. Both Bell World and their Bell Mobility call centre were at odds on the fee's. I handed the phone to the Bell World salesperson and they argued over what fees were to be charged with India. Both tried to get the other to waive their fee, but neither would budge. So it was determined that I had to pay two setup fee's, the $35., the $15.00 and the Sim Card. After all of that I said forget it! I said to the three different Bell World saleperson's; what would it take to get me as a customer? They told me, they wouldn't do anything, I had to prove that I was a worthy customer and take out a 3 year plan. That was the last straw. I told them, I was the customer and if you want my business, then you better have faith and work for my business. If your product is everything you say it is, then why would I want to leave, if I changed providers? Then the shrug. I said fine, I'm outta here. What an attitude toward a potential customer!

Telus, pretty much the same, no deals, unless you sign a contract. Same plans, same prices as the other two. I was still bent over Bell, so I decided to just walk and not get into it with Telus. Their motto is: The Future Is Friendly. It should read: The Future is Familiar.

So I go home and call Rogers. A good hour I argue with them over the GRR Fee. I tell them about the 13 years as a loyal customer. They still want to charge me the GRR Fee. My antiquated plan is so old, there wasn't even picture phones, when I signed on to it. Just as I was coming to the point about me about to disconnect, the CSR works a package for me, if I would sign for one year. I looked at it and agreed to it.

200 minutes primetime.
Free after 6PM and weekends.
Call Display
Unlimited incoming text and 100 outgoing text's.
500MB of dataplan.

All inclusive: $47.00 per month. I also have a one month window to try it out and can get out of the one year contract. Is this a decent deal? It was the best I could do, after going to war with the establishment. The cellular regulatory system is broken, when you cannot get any competition and you have to fight for crumbs like I did most of yesterday!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.