Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I do not own a personal wireless device or plan currently (only a work-provided one).

When I call Telus, Bell or Rogers they seem to not want to budget on their advertised plans, offering deals only with what is currently advertised.

What are some of the tactics to use to try and get their agents to start discounting real things like the price of the plan or increasing voice/data limits?

For example, on Telus' $50 plan as advertised, they were only willing to give me unlimited voice for the first month and unlimited calling from 6pm onwards. I wanted to get it down to $45 or 40 a month OR for $50 get 1GB of data.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The big three really don't discount. If you are coming up to the end of a plan with them, they might throw you a bit of a bone but not going in.

Best bet is to look at one of the new carriers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Problem is I spend time at my cottage north-west of Huntsville (near Sprucedale Ontario) and ideally want a carrier that gives me service there. Would any of the non-big 3 likely do this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting iPhone 4 and then iPhone 5: Cost-effective plan?

I'll state up front that I have never had a personal wireless device or plan, so I'm trying to understand some of the "rules" in this area.

Please correct me if I am wrong in thinking through this cost scenario:

I buy an iPhone 4 32GB now on a 3 year plan for $305 including tax.
When iPhone 5 is about to be available I sell the iPhone 4 for (hopefully) about $300. As an aside question, do you think I would get this much for it?
I then buy an iPhone 5 32GB from Apple and use it on my same plan. This costs me $870 (I understand we don't know the pricing, but just making an assumption).

Thus, I should not lose hardly any money by getting an iPhone 4 now and then switching to an iPhone 5 later.

Does this scenario make sense? Will the carrier allow me to sell the iPhone 4 and then continue on the plan with the new device?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Once you purchase the iPhone 4 (discounted through the carrier with a 3 year contract), the phone is yours and you can do what you like with it, including selling it when the next iPhone comes out.

I would think that an iPhone 4 32GB would have a closer resale value this spring/summer to $500. As an example, last summer when the iPhone 4 was close to being released an iPhone 3GS 32GB could be sold for $500ish if it was in very good condition.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Well if that comes true, and the assumption that the iPhone 5 is the same price as the 4 is also true, then technically when I buy the iPhone 5 it will only cost me $675 instead of $870, right?

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's right.. just so I'm following the math correctly. iPhone 4 purchase is $305, then selling it will net you close to $200, and that $200 towards an iPhone 5 from Apple?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Except that now you've paid almost full price for an iPhone and you're also locked into a 3-year contract.

If you're going to replace it in 5 months and you have to have an iPhone, why not buy an 8GB 3GS for $550, use it for 5 months, and then get an iPhone 5 on contract? Or better yet, get a used 3GS off eBay for about $400. Is there anything about the iPhone 4 that you have to have over the 3GS?

When you get your iPhone 5, you could probably sell a good condition 3GS for $150-200.

Alternatively, if you can live with a different phone until June, you could do even better. The Bell LG Optimus Chic can be had for $250 off-contract, for example.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
How much is 'spend time'?
And how many calls do you make there?

Might still make sense to go with a new carrier and pay roaming for a few calls.

e.g. I have unlimited everything with wind for $40 a month.
Equivalent of this plan (if they even offered truly unlimited features) would be well over 100 with robelus (as I have no pull from them.. some people might be able to sell their soul for 3 years to get it cheaper :p).
With that $60 a month difference, I can talk for 240 mins a month on roaming and still break even..
(and there's no way I'd talk that much at a cottage. If you're spending all your time on the phone at a cottage, you're doing something wrong! ;))

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recneps, good points. I would not make that many calls, but would just require voice available as I have no landline phone there.

However, I would like to also have internet (i.e. data), so the roaming on the data charges would also have to be considered. So how much would the roaming be on data (if I'm using let's say 50mb/month roaming + the couple calls I'd make). Would it still be worth it to go with a non-big carrier?

Finally, re: Wind. I also live in Burlington. Would Wind cover that area as their core area?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
You would definitely have voice access, and the roaming charges would be less than the Big 3 typically charge for long distance. Data costs, however, would be obscene while roaming.

Burlington is covered by Wind. Coverage now extends west of Hamilton.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's true about the fullprice iPhone and 3 year contract. So net-net I'd have an iPhone 5 with a 3 yr contract that would have cost me $400 more then it should (i.e. if I just waited or got the 4 now and forgot about the 5).

But that would be the price I'd pay to get the 4 now and the 5 later.

All of this of course if assuming the carrier of choice wouldn't allow me to upgrade to an iPhone 5 later for the subsidized cost. I heard since I would still be new to them and would not have "made up" the price of the phone yet, they likely would not allow this, but others have said there was a case when it did happen.

The reason I want the iPhone is because there are several distinct types of services/apps I really want:
1. I need a voice phone outside of my work one to conduct some personal business I'm starting up.
2. I want internet radio, as I have long commutes and would like to have that service.
3. I want location-based apps for finding cheap gas, shopping, food/drink.
4. I need a GPS service that gives me real-time traffic updates as I'm driving as given my long-commute during rush hour I'd like to have a continual better way around traffic back-ups.
5. I want a phone that can also function as an e-reader so I can read books on it. This is a nice-to-have, but means I'd lean more towards a larger phone.
1, 2, and 4 I need/want right now. The others I can wait for.

I'd go for an Android device, as I'm open to that. I'm not fond of Samsung products though, but if it was short-term it would be alright.

It doesn't have to be just an iPhone.
Also, I think it would be more like 7 months that I'd live with the phone, not 5 months (it was early August/10 that the iPhone 4 came out I believe...could be wrong).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting about Wind...that may be the way to go. That being said, since Wind would support the Nexus S.

What is your opinion about picking up the Nexus S (full price) from a store in the US and getting it onto the Wind network? Any caveats with that?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Just as an FYI, one of the guys at work has migrated from the iPhone 3G -> 3GS -> 4.

Each time he has paid the upgrade price for Rogers and sells the old one for more than the upgrade cost him. So, aside from the initial outlay, which is of course subsidized with a 3-year contract, he is MAKING money with each new generation of iPhone.

How does that work? I guess lots of people lose their iPhones and don't want to spring full pop for a new one.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
It should work fine.

However, the Nexus S will go on sale here in Canada at some point, and I've been told that February is the likely timeline. On top of that, I've also been told that it will likely be a slightly revised model, though I don't known what's changing. It may be in your interest to wait.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing about the Nexus' is that the S is a plastic feeling phone, whereas the One is solid. However, the One is dated and Google may not continue to update it.

That leaves me back at the iPhone scenario.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, that is what I was thinking too. The phones are HOT, so I don't think there's too much worry about continuing along with the upgrades.

However, if I sign up NOW for a 3 yr plan, the carrier may not offer me an upgrade option by the summertime when the iPhone 5 comes out as I would still be considered new. I would then have to wait (not that I would necessarily need to upgrade right away).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts