Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the brown box has printed letters on the box and a sticker with the receiver information, then it is a new receiver. If the brown box is plain and only has a sticker with the the receiver information, then it is a rerfurished receiver.

A refurbished receiver box will also have the words DBS 6131 R or DBS 6141 R at the top of the sticker and RENTAL at the bottom.

·
Registered
94 Posts
New cust., we just purchased 2x 6131 and 4100. All are used but one 6131 is new. I'll be calling bell, but is this a common practice? This is not rental,but strait out purchase.
This seems like a version of the Bait and Switch Scam and you should call Bell, tell them you're going to report them to the BBB unless you get new receivers to replace the refurbished ones, and even if you get them you should probably still make the call. Just make sure there's no fine print that says Bell can give you refurbs in place of new receivers. There shouldn't be, but you never know.

More info on the the most common version of the Bait and Switch (advertise something for a low price and get the buyer to buy a more expensive item) can be found here http://edmonton.bbb.org/article/consumer-tip---bait--switch-tactics-3789 but what Bell has done to you (sell an expensive item and provide an inexpensive item) is similar.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
How is this Bait and Switch if the product you are getting the same one?
Don't say they aren't. New 6131 and 4100 and refurb 6131 and 4100 are the same thing as the do they exact same thing.

Any place that sells stuff can sell refurbs for the same price as new or cheaper. It is their option.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hope when you go shopping for things and being told you get New and received used would not have a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Called bell, they're shipping return label for old ones to be send back. Spoke to menager and been told to purchase at local Bell store New receivers and they will reimburse on the bill as to original advertising (6131 for 49., 2nd 6131 for 149., the rest are full price).

·
Registered
94 Posts
How is this Bait and Switch if the product you are getting the same one?
Don't say they aren't. New 6131 and 4100 and refurb 6131 and 4100 are the same thing as the do they exact same thing.
It's bait and switch because they baited him by saying he would get a new receiver and then switched it for a refurb for the exact same price when it should have been cheaper.

As far as buying at a store and getting reimbersed - I'd insist they send out a new one themselves. Knowing Bell, you'll still have to fight to get that reimbersement to show up on your account after paying for the new receivers. You do have a case here to bring to the BBB, I'd remind them of it and look for programming credits, etc. as well because of the hassle and frustration.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Called bell, they're shipping return label for old ones to be send back.
Good, glad you got it sorted.

Just make sure you hang onto the Waybill Numbers for the packages when you send them back, they do have a bad habit of loosing them.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Princie1: It is not bait and switch as he got the same receivers he wanted and paid for. Brand new or refurb make no difference.
Like said, retailers which includes Bell can sell their refurbs for any price they want, even if it is the same as brand new ones.

As Pinza already stated

The vast majority of receivers in the warehouse I had access to this morning were refurbished, all in Brown box's, NONE said Rental.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Brand new or refurb make no difference.
Really? How so? If it made no difference, why would many stores that offer refurbs of their products discount the price and shorten any warranty period? Why would Rogers tell you that after 30 days your brand new phone, that was still under warranty but was defective, will be replaced with a refurb instead of a new phone?

If I'm renting, I couldn't care less if Bell gives me refurbs, because they'll just be forced to change it again if something happens to it. But if I buy a new unit that I will be responsible for after the warranty period is over (electronics do have a finite life, you know), it had damn well better be new.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Really? How so? If it made no difference,
I am referring to the Bait and switch
why would many stores that offer refurbs of their products discount the price and shorten any warranty period?
Because they can, they can sell the refurbs for whatever price they want.

Why would Rogers tell you that after 30 days your brand new phone, that was still under warranty but was defective, will be replaced with a refurb instead of a new phone?
pretty much all replacements including parts are usually refurbs

If I'm renting, I couldn't care less if Bell gives me refurbs, because they'll just be forced to change it again if something happens to it. But if I buy a new unit that I will be responsible for after the warranty period is over (electronics do have a finite life, you know), it had damn well better be new.
You might think that but if a company like Bell only sells refurbs and they sell them for the same price as brand new ones, they have that right.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As Pinza already stated, Bell does not have any new receivers in the warehouse. They give refurbs.
I am 100% certain I NEVER said that.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
DSgamby said:
It is not bait and switch as he got the same receivers he wanted and paid for. Brand new or refurb make no difference.
Absolutely not true. Used or refurbished products must be presented as such at time of sale. Substituting a used product for a new product is fraud. If Bell has a disclaimer in their ads saying that receivers for sale may be used or refurbished, then it's buyer beware. If not, they are assumed to be new.

BTW, I have some used stuff I'd like to sell at the retail price of new products. DSgamby, are you interested? ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'll call on sat. morning and asked the manager to call local bell store to take the old and replace with new'. I didntt feel too comfortable to begin with, but sometimes the have a way to try to agree with them. I'll update this on sat., will see how it will play from here...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It is fraud but is it a Bait and Switch?
I would say yes. Misrepresenting an item or advertising an item that is not available and then offering a substitute is a strict definition of bait and switch. In this case, Bell is taking it one step further by not even telling customers that a new receiver is not available and substituting a refurb without the customer's knowledge. Is this allowed at the retail level? No. The customer can be informed of any substitution and be offered a product of equal or greater value (and quality) at the same price. They cannot be given a cheaper or inferior product without their knowledge. Bell could claim that the refurb has equal value but, historically, that is not the case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'll call on sat. morning and asked the manager to call local bell store to take the old and replace with new'. I didntt feel too comfortable to begin with, but sometimes the have a way to try to agree with them. I'll update this on sat., will see how it will play from here...

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
ScaryBob: I always thought the Bait And Switch definition is
Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud, most commonly used in retail sales but also applicable to other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by advertising for a product or service at a low price; second, the customers discover that the advertised good is not available and are "switched" to a costlier product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_and_switch

I guess I was wrong.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts