Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New cust., we just purchased 2x 6131 and 4100. All are used but one 6131 is new. I'll be calling bell, but is this a common practice? This is not rental,but strait out purchase.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Were they installed by Bell or did you get them at a retailer.?

If Installed, yes, very common.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
installed by bell. The guy trying to sell as they are new, but the black plastic has scratches and you can tell its not brand new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most likely they were remanufactured. You can tell if the receivers came in brown box's marked rental on the side. Bell has been only shipping the installation company's remanufactured receivers lately.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The vast majority of receivers in the warehouse I had access to this morning were refurbished, all in Brown box's, NONE said Rental.

I asked what if they are going to an ORS (Out Right Sale) customer and was told, no difference, they get the refurbs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I got brown box, so they charge me for new but give me refurb.:rolleyes:
can I change them at the local store/ bell or ask for discount?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well you most certainly cannot change them at a Bell Store, that would be far too easy and logical for Bell.

I would be calling Bell and making your feelings known. Check the white labels on the side of the box, see if you spot the word 'refurb'.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
yourtoys7, new customers have 7 days to cancel. Call Bell, select the option to cancel (deep in the phone menus) and let them know how you feel. Chances are that they will ship out new receivers if you tell them you will cancel otherwise. IMHO, selling refurbs is borderline fraud. Bell should make it clear up front that the receivers they are selling are used and not new.

I doubt if Bell has many, if any, new 4100s. They are basically an obsolete receiver. HD receivers are the only ones worth purchasing these days since 6131s work quite well with SDTVs and receive more channels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am getting a new pvr on Friday. What should I look for in order to tell if it is a refurb or brand new? I will be quite upset if they try to pass off a refurb as brand new.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
yourtoys7, new customers have 7 days to cancel.
In Ontario it is 10 days.

Just so everyone is aware, most receivers ship to the National Installers in Brown Box's, so that in itself does NOT mean it is a refurbished receiver.

On the label with the Bar Codes, look for the word 'refurb'.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I would suggest you buy the receiver off the store shelf yourself. That way you know you're getting new equipment. If Bell is offering a "special price" that you can't get from the store, then part of that deal may be refurbished equipment with a warranty that matches new.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In Ontario it is 10 days.

Just so everyone is aware, most receivers ship to the National Installers in Brown Box's, so that in itself does NOT mean it is a refurbished receiver.

On the label with the Bar Codes, look for the word 'refurb'.
10 days in Nova Scotia as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, it is not really the tech's fault. The technician can only install what he has and Bell does not seem to care if the receiver is new or refurbished when activating a Rental or purchased account. If you buy a receiver at a store, then it will be new. If you buy a receiver over the phone or online, chances are very high you will get a refurbished receiver. Also if you do get a new receiver and it fails the next day, Bell will ship you a refurbished receiver.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not blaming installer, but I paid for new receivers full price and got used.
Will call bell and proceed to cancel, see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
the last shipment i received of 20 4100' (last week) contained 10 new units in origanal box 5 in plain brown box and 5 marked refurb. i'm not 100% sure without looking but i thought the 5 refurbs also said "rentals"
but like pinza stated earlier just because it's in a plain brown box doesn't mean it's a refurb.
I have no problem with refurbs myself but I wouldn't pay full price.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Look for the word Rental on the box
I have not seen a box marked Rental for months now, they are all the same. Also the designation 6131R, was/is used to signify "Receiver Only" in some of Bell's systems, while 6131S, signifies a System, meaning that a Dish is required as well as the Receiver.

It really did get easier for the Techs after Bell finally listened and started shipping Dish's separate to the Receivers, it allowed for much more flexibility. Then, believe it or not Bell listened once more when they started shipping Dish's in packs of 10, instead of individually.

As joshwild says, the Tech just gets Receivers and Orders, sometimes he is not even aware that the Order is a Rental until he speaks to the Customer. There are still lots of disconnects in Bell's wonderful world.

As I said, just call and vent at them, you SHOULD get new if you are buying them but you are the first person I have heard of in many months that can actually tell that the receivers are not new, so I guess we can draw from this the conclusion that most refurbished models are good enough to pass for new, you were the unlucky one that got a bad refurb, that did not look as good as new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if the box is brown for 4100/ 6131 that's means they are refurb.?
What type of box if you buy it from Bell store?

·
Registered
292 Posts
The brown box doesn't always mean it's a refurb.
The other boxes have BELL 4100 in big bold letters ect. on the box (not on a tag)
Pinza i'm sure you're wharehouse must go through a lot more inventory, in total 15 of the boxes i received last week have the big bold RENTAL on the bottom of the tag so i assume this practice has been stopped and i've got old inventory.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
On my travels today I will be visiting 2 different National Installers, I will see what Inventory they are getting, box wise.

I just seem to recall that most receivers are in Brown box's these days, a cost saving measure I am sure and one that makes total sense.

I heard that Bell would be phasing out the Rental Scheme so that was another reason to stop labelling the box's.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts