Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have Dish network installed at my house, now I intend to switch to Bell. I have following questions, can someone answer them please

Can I re-use the dish (22 inches) and the 2 LNBs (used for Satellite 110 and 119)

Can I use the same switch that I had in this connection or Do I have to buy SW44 recommended by Bell

The dish is installed on the wall facing South, so will it be able to catch Bell connection.

Is the position of bell very different from that of Dishnentwork satellite 110 and 119

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes you can use the Dish.
Yes you can use the LNBF's.
Yes you can use the Switch.
No, you do not need an SW44, unless you are going for more than 3 Tuners.
Without knowing the Line Of Sight it is impossible to give a definative answer as to hitting the Bell Satellites from the South Wall.
The Nimiq Satellites are further West and Higher in the sky than the Echostar ones at 110 & 119.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I did, your right.....lol

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I tried aligning the dish myself and failed.

What value should assign to the transponder when I am trying to align the dish. I am in Markham ON, I set the elevation to 37 and skew to 98 and then tried moving the dish a bit east...no results...is there any easier way...
OR does anyone who can align it for a reasonable cost

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
First of all you need to do the initial aiming without any kind of switch. Just use a line from the 91 LNBF directly to the receiver.

The skew sounds OK, and the elevation is very dependent on the mast being exactly vertical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Of the two which one is for 91, there are 2 LNBs, is it the one on the right when I am facing the dish?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes it is, also the "Y" yolk is marked, 91 & 82,

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That was 2 simple wrong answers from me in 1 thread.....lol

Must be going blonde......lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 more questions

Hi
I was able to connect to sat 82, but could not connect to sat 91, though I changed the skew value slightly

After getting the connection with 82, I removed the direct link and used the 4 way splitter I had used for dish connection. Will this splitter work or not with Bell or should I buy some other switch, I just have to make connection for a single TV. Any suggestions how can I get the connection with 91 and 82 to work for me

Even though I got the connection with 82, I was only able to download the guide but could not watch any TV program, is that normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you are just using 1 LNBF to do the aiming as suggested (91 LNBF in the 119 slot) and are hitting 82 you need to keep trying. Further West and higher is where 91 should be.

After setting the skew for your location you should not need to change it again, unless the Mast is NOT vertical.

If you are only getting 82, then on an SD receiver you will get very few channels and very few transponders.

Try resetting the receiver by running a check switch with no cables attached to the receiver and have another go at hitting 91.

No idea what kind of splitter you were using as splitters do not work for Bell or Dish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still lost

hi
still struggling to get 91, only able to get 82
What I thought was splitter, could actually be a DISEQ switch as it used to work fine with DISH network connection

I get 82 up to 80% strength, but no luck wih 91 dish , will try again on weekend. Looking for someone who could do it reasnable amount

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
A Diseq only works with Dish on FTA equipment I believe and certainly will not work with Bell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
confirmation

I used this switch and was able to get 82 connection with 95% signal, but not getting 91 at all

Does it mean that this switch works as I am getting 82 signal or is it a confirmation that it will not work as I am unable to get signal for 91. In that case what should I replace this switch with...I have only 1 HD box and 1 tv for this connection

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
switch

even afer the check switch, it recognised sat 81 , but did not idenify any switch...is that a confirmaion that my switch is not compatible with Bell[/B]

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That switch is no good for Bell, you need an SW21.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Help

Hi.
I managed to get SW21. I am only able to get signal for atellite 82, 96% strength, but no luck with satellite 91. What changes should I make toget signal for Satellite 91

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Could be a dish aiming problem. It might be a good idea to review existing dish installation threads as this has been asked and answered many times. In short, make sure the dish is installed correctly (mast vertical, angle, skew, etc.) Then peak 91 with just the 91 LNB connected (no switch.) 82 should then come in when the switch is added and a check switch is performed. Always perform a check switch after making any changes to the setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts