Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Major Tom,

I tried to PM you, I see you aren't accepting them, no prob. I was going to ask you what you did with your 30-2476 ?? It seems that thread just died.

It's interesting that it does have a large reflector and although it's not recommended to use a larger-than-one element reflector, the 2476 has one. And, it has very good performance, better than some almost double it's size. So what is the general opinion you've heard? Is it just for looks?

I ended cutting mine up for longer than stock directors.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I have not modified any antennas here.

Only modified the original 30-2475 model that holl_ands came up with, to the dimensions of the 30-2476.

The Yagi I have installed is the stock Stellar Labs 30-2476. I also still have the 30-2475 sitting in the shed not doing anything.
I am not sure what it is that you are trying to receive modifying antennas.
Have you tried the stock antenna as is to see what you can receive with it?
Generally speaking, as you add more directors to a yagi it will increase the gain, at the expense of Horizontal Beam width. So the higher the gain the trickier it may get for aiming to distant stations. Probably not an issue on a rotor. My 30-2476 Yagi is fixed aimed to the CN Tower in Toronto (~ 70 mi as the crow flies). It receives Local RF 5 & 7 on the backside of it. And does a decent job of RF 8 in Toronto, when the Noise floor is clean enough. Eventually I am gonna try an move it to the other end of the roof away from the local noise source.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
You'll likely have some wind and ice loading issues with that length!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Several years ago I replaced the reflector with a single tube in its place. Lost most of the uhf signals, so I reinstalled the stock reflector

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Major Tom (and others)

Yes, I agree, I had a fair amount of UHF coming in on my stock 30-2476. I did a scan of the UHF spectrum I was amazed. I really like my 30-2476's. This is why I chose this one to hack.

With the long boom, the wind and Ice will be a concern. I have plans for support and keep an eye on it through the summer. If it can't hold up, I'll take it down.

I am only building this antenna for fun, I wanted to DX. But, at here at least there hasn't been much encouragement and I understand. I'm a newbie. Liken it to the Harley Rider who keeps adding accesories on to his bike. He doesn't need more. He just wants more, and feels good about it.

In retrospect, I believe it would be easier to just combine two 30-2476's with a 1/4 wave stub and settle for that.

I thought this project might be interesting for the folks here, especially for those who model antennas but the "reception" has been lukewarm. No problem, I have a design now and I will post my results when I have it in the air. This forum hasn't been the easiest to learn, can't edit posts, so if you make a mistake, it's there forever.

Anyhow, Thanks, especially Major Tom.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll call this MOD5
All I did was put the reflector from another 30-2476 on this new Super Long Yagi. I had to remove the single reflector and put the 4 reflector on:

Not much of a change, also, in the notation under RF8 Milwaukee, it says "Chicago", disregard that it should say that under RF12, oops:

Getting some usable UHF ! :

21 - 31 of 31 Posts