Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!, I'm new here so this is my introduction!

I tried to do as much research as possible and some have attempted this and had some results that sounded promising. So maybe I'll keep this first post brief.

This will be my first hack. I chose the 30-2476 for a couple reasons.
#1 It's a reasonably good and proven design, sometimes rivaling some of the old favorite VHF only antennas.
#2 relatively brief reasonably priced, easy to get and you even get a discount for buying four at a time.
#3 with four antennas I have a lot of donor pieces, booms, directors, two spare dipoles and baluns. I didn't mention earlier I'm going to build to and eventually combine them.

I've already started on this project. It looks like because I'm a newbie here I can't upload any images. But what I started to do was take two front sections from two donor 30 - 2476 and create an extension on the existing antennas to hack them. I shuffled the directors and got the spacing exactly the same has to last for directors on the original front sections. So basically, the directors are tapered evenly and the spacing is all 10 and a half inch in the front section. I'm not very impressed with the performance yet so I've come here looking for suggestions.

Once I get to design figured out I will join two and do some light DXing.

I plan to upload some photos, diagrams Etc. That is of course if there's any interest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe because I'm new here I cannot post photos ?? Is it like the TV fool forum, where you had to make five posts before they let you post a link? Guys were just posting one sentence after another just so they could get their TV fool link in The Forum...

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
New users can post links to external photo sharing sites. However, the posts will typically be held for approval by a moderator to be sure it's not spam and might take several hours to show up.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I like to use this one...
https://imgbb.com/

upload your photo there anonymously, and copy the link it creates.
Now come back here and click insert img, and paste the link there in the dialog.

Your image should then show up for others to see (once it gets moderated of course)...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's the measurements before any modifications there's a gap in between the original build antenna and the donor section.

https://ibb.co/vJSZq8Z

Here's way it is now, I had to use some channels do you like them the boom keep the spacing between the last director of the original section and the first director of new section 10 and 1/2 in apart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's way it is now, I had to use some channels do you like them the boom keep the spacing between the last director of the original section and the first director of new section 10 and 1/2 in apart.

https://ibb.co/Y0KhZhM

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
To add an image to a post using the anonymous hosting service that you used, from the hosting service site that YOU used, click on Emded Codes, and paste the BBCode link here.

Here is your first image.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ground control here!

Thanks Major Tom!

I am still digesting the info in that thread.

Guess I still can't upload pics and make them display. Also I don't see "Embed Codes" in the control panel icons. I see "Insert Image", which I tried but the image would not display on the preview. I'll try again when I have more time.

So I was offered this design by a fellow hacker, who offered his help:

https://ibb.co/Hn2PLBJ

At any rate, the design was done by a member of another site and used this software:

https://www.vk5dj.com/yagi.html

I do have some questions about the design. It will be doable with one 30-2476 as the base unit and one 30-2476 as a parts donor antenna.

I'm a little unclear on whether the stock Dipole will be usable as it is about a half inch larger. The model shows a 29.413" and the stock one is 30". Also, I'm unclear about the reflector design. I can't tell from the .pdf if it is a multi element reflector as in the factory 30-2476.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Please read posts thoroughly...
"from the hosting service site that YOU used, click on Emded Codes"

meaning not from here, that is on the hosting site that you had used!

·
Registered
35 Posts

Okay now that I've got the BB thing figured out, I'm able to upload some pics and actually have them show, I'm grateful for the help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Major Tom.

Thanks for your input so far, because I'm a rookie and the vagueness of my posts I haven't had any bites over here.

However, I did get a good design to use. After so many messages, I got an e-mail from "t B" who offered me a design.

I would like to know more about your 30-2476 mods. Should I revisit your thread and ask or just find out from you in PM?

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
all good, I think u could probably include your measurements in that thread.
We could probably get you going with Nikiml's scripts and / or 4nec2 such that u could modify an existing yagi nec model for your measurements.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts