Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
KBMonkey has identified the exact reason I am unhappy. Because of the SD packages I currently recieve, I must add 4 more of them in order to get any new HD channels at all. That prices out at over $20.00 per month on top of the $135.00 I already pay. I am not a fan of Shaw Direct but their most expensive plan is less than $120.00 tax in. I think that MTS has become highly uncompetative in the HD market.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Overall, I think the biggest issue for MTS right now is the way the channels are packaged. The HD packages are including channels from all different SD theme groups, causing you to need a huge number of SD packages in order to receive all the channels in the HD groups you're paying for. I miss the "Digital Favorites" package that I had with Shaw Direct, giving you all the most popular SD channels. You still had to pay extra for the HD theme groups, but at least you had most of the channels required already to get the new HD equivalents.
Have to agree with that... I kind of miss my Digital Favorites from Shaw Direct/Star Choice as it gave you a good balance of all the most watched channels

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
The thing I hate about MTS' SD packages is that to get all the channels I would want, I would have to subscribe to so many packages. I've told them a couple of times to implement something like Shaw Digital has where you can create your own package of 5 or 10 channels, even if it is just for the newer category 2 channels, it would be better than nothing. Another that bugs me is that they count some packages as 2 instead of 1 which forces people to subscribe to less packages in my opinion.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Those double packages have about twice as many channels as others. If they split each of those in two separate packages to have the 4-5 channels other packages contains, you would have the same issue since they would split the channels in such a way most people need both.

For me, the way MTS packages are setup is almost ideal, since I don't care about sports and news. I have minimum service with TSN and CBC news in the base package. Sure, there is a few packages where I only watch 1 channel, but I have trouble to reach the 9 packages included with my subscription.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
KBMonkey has identified the exact reason I am unhappy. Because of the SD packages I currently recieve, I must add 4 more of them in order to get any new HD channels at all. That prices out at over $20.00 per month on top of the $135.00 I already pay. I am not a fan of Shaw Direct but their most expensive plan is less than $120.00 tax in. I think that MTS has become highly uncompetative in the HD market.
According to this thread in the Shaw forum, you do not need to subscribe to the SD channels to get the HD equivalent....
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1153004&postcount=7
Wonder why MTS makes you do that? I am finding their packages - which they always said made them different than cable - to be more like old-school cable than cable is now..... if that made any sense :)

41 - 46 of 46 Posts