Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wanted to compare similar offerings available elsewhere. With people calling this a "debacle" I wanted to see if MTS is screwing us over or not. From my very basic, quick and dirty, non-scientific, simple, etc comparison I'd say we are getting a fair price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ah, cool...

To be honest most of the pricing across Canada is give or take 5$. It is internet and phone that seem to have larger gaps. A lot of pricing also depends on who is in the market. Telus and Shaw are going at it bad it some areas. With MTS if can get ugly if you are not on a promo of sorts that your STBS and PVR service are not waived.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Updated my channels today - seems like they are not providing HGTV HD like they originally promised in the new Variety theme pack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did everyone get a letter. I have MTS Ultimate withe HD channels and I never got a letter from MTS about any changes. Maybe mine came by MTS Hot mail and was held, or blocked, or delayed or bumped or ........ but thats another discussion.

I logged on to look at the channels and noticed 2 other things (as well as the HD changes)

1) under the SD Medley group - the channel "CULT TV" is added (channel 327)... but is not available (yet?)

2) under the SD group Super - Global Reality is added (channel 225)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dropped Discovery HD (and WildHD, I guess) to add the other package.

I log in today to see Weather HD... and lookie lookie, not coming until JANUARY 2011.

So swap the channels around so I need to pay more for what I already have... and don't deliver on the channels I'm paying for yet? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same message for Family Channel HD and Playhouse Disney HD....early 2011. Why launch the channels and promote them if they won't be available for a number of months?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is AMC HD a new addition for MTS as well? I had it with Shaw Direct, but when I switched over to MTS just over a month ago, I didn't think we had it. Looking forward to checking out "The Walking Dead".

·
Registered
217 Posts
i just watched the Walking Dead on AMChd, wow what a great show. I am so happy MTS has AMC in HD now. some fantastic programs all in glorious HD - yah

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I see their website is currently not listing the HD Variety pack or any of it's channels, but is listing all the other new channels as mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I noticed that they don't have the HD variety pack on the web site, but is available with the online channel package change tool (for existing TV customers).

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I noticed that MTS updated their public web site to include the HD Variety theme, although the channels still aren't on the "Find A Channel" list.

HGTV HD isn't in the theme any more, so I guess Shaw must have cancelled the launch when then officially took control. AFAIK HGTV HD isn't available on any provider.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I found the new PDF of the TV brochure on the MTS "Channel Packages & Pricing" page. HGTV HD is gone from the Variety theme of the printed brochure so it doesn't look too promising.

All the other channels are there, including Family HD and Playhouse Disney HD that had their launch delayed.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I don't know why Astral didn't launch Family HD and Playhouse Disney HD. In the letters MTS sent out those 2 channels had a start date of Nov. 9, so plans must have been pretty far along.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I talked to a CSR yesterday. HGHD is not coming in the forseeable future. None of the announced new channals will arrive till the new year. Yup I still have to pay now. Sadly after beeing an HD customer from day one I was forced to give them 30 days notice. Their reply was less than friendly. Not at all the attitude I have seen in the past. They must be under some pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like MTS got ahead of themselves in terms of promoting the launch of the new channels. Although they obviously do not have control of when the channels will launch, I think including the channels in their promotional information and online package selections is deceiving. Fortunately most of the channels that haven't launched are in the Free HD section and not costing any extra per month. The only change is the movement of the National Geographic and Showcase channels out of the Free HD package, which is now costing you $3 a month with the addition of MovieTime HD and History HD, although with the omission of HGTV HD. Is it worth it? I think so. I don't think Wild and Discovery are worth $4 a month and therefore do not subscribe, but others may love those channels. It's a personal choice.

Overall, I think the biggest issue for MTS right now is the way the channels are packaged. The HD packages are including channels from all different SD theme groups, causing you to need a huge number of SD packages in order to receive all the channels in the HD groups you're paying for. I miss the "Digital Favorites" package that I had with Shaw Direct, giving you all the most popular SD channels. You still had to pay extra for the HD theme groups, but at least you had most of the channels required already to get the new HD equivalents.

Just my 2 cents.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts