Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems in the past few weeks, we have been skipped for NASA HD, TVO HD and now NFL HD.

I sure am happy that we are helping the head office in giving others all these nice HD channels.

PS: If you are not in the Atlantic, you can't imagine what it is to be in the shadow of the big guys. Too many times have we been skipped over and I have the feeling we will be skipped over many times again....

SDV my bum. It doesn't exist here in Atlantic.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I understand your pain Danster.
I don't think its right as to what Rogers is doing.

I used to like Rogers after leaving BTV but now I hate Rogers because of the VIP issue come this Sept 1. So I know exactly how you feel.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am also fustrated with Rogers, no new channels, continual price increases and poor customer service, so I have cancled my service and ordered Bell Aliant's Fibreop Bundle, it's cheaper, with more services that i get with rogers, i have heard that PQ is not the best but i'm sure this will be ironed out soon enough, oviously bandwidth is not the problem as it is FTTH

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have to say it.;)

For EastLink subscribers, it's the complete opposite.

With them, Nova Scotia gets all the goodies first then Ontario might get them later......very much later....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rogers is disgusting. If I had another viable option I would have left them years ago.

Sportsnet One HD
TMN ExcessHD and Fun HD
CTV and CBC W HD
NFL Network HD
Movietime HD
Hd Nature and Adventure Pack

and that's just a short list off the top of my head of what we are missing down here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As a result, this is undeniably the best time to talk discount w/them. They have Zero argument NOT to give Atl customers a break until they get up to snuff. If I didn't have a discount applied right now I would be w/Bell TV. We'll see what the next year brings until my contract expires.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I had to do. Since FibreOP is available on my street, and that Bell does have the most HD in Atlantic, we have to "negotiate". You want me to be your customer? So does Bell. Who offers me the best deal for my money, that's where I go. Bell and ROGERS are there for business, I am the feeder of that business.

My contract is up in the next month or so and I shall have to go through the same thing again...for a year. 30% off my internet, 15 for cable, 15 for my home phone and something else that I can't recall.

Of the list steve listed, we have no HIFI channels. I know they are eye candy or fluff but we still don't have them. I think they are on demand but that's when on demand actually works. :eek:

·
Registered
308 Posts
does anyone know the reason for rogers not adding new channels in Atlantic Canada? i have heard that the system we are on that there isn't enough bandwidth without changing to SDV?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm sure things will ramp up with the competition. It's likely they are not using SDV yet in Atlantic Canada. I would bet they have it planned but haven't implemented it yet. If Rogers can't provide what the competition has, then for sure they will lose customers soon enough.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A while back, I was told from a credible source that we had the infrastructure to support 860 Mhz but instead, we are stuck at 750.

We are promised soooo many things from ROGERS it ain't funny. We receive the same documentation that Ontario gets when they announce new packages etc. However, the fine print says it all. Most services are not available in every area. There is a finer print in the fine print that says "Mostly Atlantic Canada" ;)

I don't know if SDV needs a special frequency to run but everytime I ask the question, I get the "We are constantly improving our systems. Its just a question of when it will be available". I wish I could do the same with my bill. I will pay it but it's just a question of bring-in-my-missing-channels-and-I-will-pay-it-then type of deal.

One province over (NS) and we see all the channels that gets added left and right to ttheir system. We are right in the middle of 2 providers and we have to duck in order to avoid the channels being thrown over our heads. We can't even count on NL for support since they are far worse than NB.

That's what ROGERS in Atlantic is: politicians before elections. They have all these promises but once elected, they forget their promises.... :(

·
Registered
689 Posts
It hit me in the head tonight when I tried to watch the Ohio State game on the Big Ten network. I said "tried to". Looked like a blown up cellphone video.

Of course, Ontario gets it in HD. I'm not opposed to watching something in SD if the quality's still decent - but this is just brutal.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just saw this in the Ontario forum:

"Just a heads up that Rogers now appears to be using their full set of 24 HD channels located from 361-384 rather than just the first 9 also located from 490-498. These extra HD channels were added sometime last year but haven't been used until now. 361-373 are being utilized for NFL Sunday Ticket, which as noted will have every game in HD."

Despite the ad from Rogers that said only Ontario would get every NFL game in HD, these 361-384 channels *do* show up in NB. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stop it Rogers!

If you are not going to make your cable channel offerings equal for all areas, stop putting channels on the free preview channel that we can't have in Atlantic Canada. Case in point: The Reality Channel on weekend free preview. Can't order the channel in Atlantic Canada so why show on free preview? I'm sure with all the technology Rogers has, you could put another channel on free preview that we can actually order if we don't have it in our package.

And yes, I wrote it as though a Rogers representative will read this. Hopefully they will.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Read post #10 about the availability of the channels. Fine print...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Global Reality - Channel 289/67 in Ontario.

We had a free preview this past weekend on channel "1" ... of a channel we couldn't order if we wanted.

That ticked me off.. Grr..

·
Registered
689 Posts
Despite the fact that every Sunday Ticket HD channel shows up in NB....half of them didn't work today. I counted at least 2 SD-only games - Colts-Texans and Lions-Bears.

This is getting insulting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Enough is Enough!

I am sick and tired of getting the leftovers from Rogers in New Brunswick.
Sportnet 1 is the last straw. Sure, it's available in Ontario in HD, Why not NB.
Take some of those "Sunset" HD channels off and give us what we are paying for.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Especially here in NB, we don't need Cottage channel or Sunset, we just have to look in our backyard (at least in mine) The beauty of it (pun intended) is that it is in true 1080p or better!!!

I am up for contract renewal and I will be dumping many things as well. FiberOp looks better each day....

Oh and let's not forget our TMN OD with NO HD movies on it... :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Disney Playhouse

Ok, Rogers decided Atlantic Canada could have Disney Playhouse Channel at the same time as big brother Ontario. That leads me to ask the question again, where's the rest of the channels we're missing, Rogers?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Analog channels aren't the problem. HD channels take up too much bandwidth (according to them). I don't know who to believe anymore. They don't have any bandwitdh for anymore HD channels but did find some for 3 useless channels... :eek:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts