Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts
I don't get this though. So Bell customers get TSN Jets for free as part of their basic package, and now Shaw's charging $9.95 per month, and presumably MTS will end up charging about the same.

Compare that to out here in BC, where between CBC and TSN national games, and Sportsnet Pacific and One regional broadcasts, all Canucks games are available on channels that are included in all of the main BDU's basic sports packages.

Or would it be better to compare with regional TSN broadcasts of the Canadiens? What is the charge on Bell/Rogers/etc to get those games?

Seems to me like Jets fans are not being treated very well here.

For Shaw, they can make it part of their basic package as well. If they wanted to, they just could bump everyone's cable bill by $1 per month (or 10/12= 0.83 per month) and no one would be the wiser... I actually respect them more for going this route versus Rogers where they eventually included TSN2 and RSN1 to the digital tiers and then bumped the price for everyone shortly thereafter...

There is something inherently anti-competitive about how this system works...

In any case - I'm still seriously disappointed in the Chipman family and how they treat companies that stood by them in the early Moose days...

Will it cost $9.95 for 8 months, or just 7 months, next year? This sucks. I spent 2 months now without cable and I'm thinking of crawling back to watch the Jets. I have to decide on 22 games for free or 82+ games for some deal Shaw has right now. That would cost a minimum of 400 dollars for basic +HD + Jets until April.

Looks like every TSN game will be simulcast on TSN Jets, all 5 of them. What about the playoffs? Will we require TSN Jets to view their playoff games, all the way to the Game 7 final when the Jets win the cup vs Phoenix, or will those games air on CBC or TSN?

TSN Jets can be seen on the following television service providers:

• Bell TV – Channel 1423 in HD and Channel 423 in SD
• MTS TV Ultimate – Channel 480 in HD and Channel 168 in SD
• MTS Classic - Channel 168 in SD
• Shaw – Channel 290 in HD and Channel 289 in SD
• Shaw Direct Classic – Channel 449 in HD and Channel 468 in SD
• Shaw Direct Advanced – Channel 393 in HD and Channel 136 in SD

Seems a little odd to me that people within the Jets region need to pay $10/month for this channel. No, it's not a lot of money but considering almost everyone else can watch most if not all of their local teams games included with their sports package at no extra cost...

With the exception of LeafsTV...which is significantly cheaper anyway and provides 24/7 programming, all the other teams are on regular channels that people who subscribe to sports get such as Sportsnet and TSN.

Is this just because it's a new franchise and they need as many revenue sources as they can get? If so, hopefully they actually get most of the revenue and not TSN or the league.

Not to mention that many people now won't be able to get Oilers/Flames games at all, which weren't an extra cost before.

$60 a season seems pretty reasonable. Winnipeg is a small market so advertising isn't going to pay the freight.

FYI Sportsnet and TSN are pay channels too, just the cost is spread out over 25 times the population.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.