Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It does look like the new Canon flagship DSLR is about to be released. Apparently some photographers are testing it now. The EOS 1Ds Mark IV.

The rumour I read today suggested that the camera was forgoing more pixels in favour of more dynamic range and sharpness and high ISO.

A concurrent rumour is that Canon is negotiating to purchase a medium format brand.

These taken together suggest that Canon's strategy is to position the DSLR as a non-studio camera and a medium format future model as their studio camera. They may be forced to move in this direction as the big 60 MP medium format sensors are simply too good for Canon to compete with using a full frame DSLR.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Rumours ...

The best collection is usually at Canon Rumours.

What I would like on my wish list is a full frame sensor with moderate amount of Megapixels (say the 21 of the existing Mk II or even the 16 of the Mk II) with excellent low light performance.

What I really want is a range finder camera (think Lecia M9) with smaller lenses, full frame & a useable electronic viewfinder and excellent low light performance.

Medium format? Too small of a market. I doubt that Leica, even with the S2 at only $25,000, will make any money in this market. MFs are mostly used by fine art landscape photographers who print huge images. This is a very small market segment and unless one of them has some technology that Canon really wants (RED?) I doubt they will get in to it as it will just be another line of product that is a burden to their revenue stream (I've heard that only Point & Shoot Cameras make money).

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Yea holding the pixel the 21 or 25 would be good choice with better higher iso noise and dynamic range.

Too bad I can't afford a new 1 series camera. :(

I'm hoping that canon will also announce that they will release a 60D too. Want to sell the 50D and would welcome the 60D as both kids can use the 60D and 7D for photography coming this September.

If I'm buying cause I'm so picky with lens and camera focus I would need the new body to have the MA feature.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I expect a 60d and maybe a 1ds IV at photokina. Maybe we'll see another entry level with video added.

Leica isn't the competition to worry about with medium format so much as Pentax is...or will be when the 645d actually hits the streets. 1ds IV will probably be seven or eight thousand which is right around the expected price of the 645d.

I'd like to see someone (besides Leica) drop the anti-aliasing filter in 35mm format. That'd be much more incentive for me to buy a high-end camera than more megapixels or even better high-iso.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...Too bad I can't afford a new 1 series camera. :(...
Yes, but if the Mk IV comes out then pros will be dumping their Mk IIIs. A used 21MP full-frame with the 45 AF points - YUM One downside to the Mk III is that even though it has a 3" LCD it's only 230,000 pixels (as opposed to the 930,000 pixel displays in other cameras of the same vintage)
...I'd like to see someone (besides Leica) drop the anti-aliasing filter in 35mm format. That'd be much more incentive for me to buy a high-end camera than more megapixels or even better high-iso.
So true

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
gordon you are a bad influence. :D

I just checked the specs and the 1ds Mk iii only goes to iso 3200 and since it has a lower screen resolution I can wait. Plus a used one will surely cost $$$.

The 5D II should hold me till the next replacement model comes out. Currently have the 7D and a friend coming for the 50D today and will get the 60D for the kids.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canon Announces Many Products

From Canon Rumours.

One new DSLR model, a 60D. No surprises in this model, but interestingly has a built-in wireless transmitter for flash. No new flash announced yet, but likely one is coming. When I used the Sony DSLR, I liked the wireless control of the flash when I held it in my hand. I have been experimenting with the 580II flash as a slave using the existing Canon transmitter. It works, but is constrained to a wide angle zoom.

Many new expensive lenses. 600mm F4.0, 500mm F4.0 and new 300mm and 400mm F2.8 models. Also new models of extenders. (And cheaper new "L" lenses too.)

I have been pondering getting one of the big lenses (500mm or 600mm), but have been concerned about their weight. Apparently these new models are lighter and offer improved weather resistance. I think the existing 600mm is 3 pounds heavier than the existing 500mm. So if the new 600mm is 3 pounds lighter, it may be the one to get.

Although not announced, the new EOS-1Ds IV is generally believed to have a 29 MP sensor. I would guess that such a sensor requires a new processor too. I.e., a Digic V is my guess for this upcoming model.

I wonder about the economics of these new products. The Japanese Yen is getting very expensive in terms of U.S. dollars. Will Canon jack up the prices or will they try to hold down the prices in spite of the Yen's appreciation. (China is investing in the Yen and dumping U.S. debt, causing the Yen to rise WRT the U.S. dollar.) So if we are going to have a double-dip recession, all these products may be being released at a bad time for Canon.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The 60D is now all plastic instead of metal from the 50D. Looks like this will be positioned closer the T2i than the 7D.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082620canoneos60d.asp

Canon has unveiled the EOS 60D mid-level DSLR, replacing the EOS 50D. However, following the launch of the EOS 7D, the 60D has been repositioned in the market, so isn't a simple upgrade to its predecessor. Instead the 60D is a smaller camera featuring an articulated screen and plastic body shell and utilizing SD memory cards. It combines the 18MP CMOS sensor and 1040k dot 3.0" LCD from the EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) with the AF system from the 50D. Meanwhile it gains the 7D's HD movie capability. We've had a chance to use a pre-production 60D so have prepared a hands-on preview, including sample images and movies.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the 60d has something like an $1,200 US MSRP, but yeah, I doubt those lenses are going to come cheap.
The fisheye zoom looks particularly interesting though.

I'm surprised with the direction they took with the 60d. Obviously they wanted to differentiate it from the 7d, but they could have gone about it by making it a low megapixel, high-iso performer for example, rather than, well, pretty much downgrading from the 50d. The price is certainly attractive though, even if it is competing with the 550.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think Canon need to start putting IS in more of their prime lenses - I'm not sure why this feature is included in so many zoom lenses -even low-cost budget zooms- but not in higher quality fixed focal length lenses.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Oh no micro adjust

Oh no, i was expecting the new 60D to have the micro adjust function.

Guess it's still a step above the T2i, will get one for the kids to use for photography class in school.

Wonder when is the schedule released date?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's a big challenge getting IS in wide lenses with big apertures. I believe the new Nikon 24-70 /2.8 is the first such lens to have IS, and getting primes like a 50 /1.4 IS would be very expensive and very heavy. Not saying it's not going to happen, but there's definitely a cost-benefit that Canon and Nikon have to consider.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was hoping for a 15 or 16 to 50/f4.0 L series lens. It looks like the 300 f2.8 will be a bit rich price wise for me so I probably will have to get the old 2.8 or the 4.0

·
Registered
73 Posts
OldScotch, that might be the lens I go for if they don't come out with something wider, that lens is just shy of a 28mm on a crop camera, I'm use to 24 or better. I think my next camera will be a 5D Mark III assuming one sees the light of day and go back to using primes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, it'd be 27 on a Canon aps. That's still noticeably wider than 28, but coming back to 24 would mean something like a 15-40ish.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Other Types of Stabilization

Previously I expressed my interest in the weights of the new Super Telephoto lenses announced by Canon. I noted that the weight difference between the existing 500mm F4.0 and 600mm F4.0 is about 3 pounds. The new versions of these lenses are supposed to be lighter.

I browsed the internet a few times, but was unable to find out the weights of the new lenses. However, on Canon's U.S. website, they list the old and new versions of the 400mm F2.8 lens. The new one is 3 pounds lighter.

Interesting. I still wonder how the effectiveness of of IS is determined. It would seem to me that a lens with the same pull and F-stop, but 3 pounds lighter than the old one would gain in stability for that reason alone. Then, if you turn the IS on, you gain even more.

Here's hoping that the new Super Telephotos are 3 pounds or more lighter too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts