Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MobileSyrup is reporting Telus has a new cancellation policy for people who get a subsidized phone and want to leave before their long-term commitment expires. I'm coming up for renewal in about 3 weeks and this is exciting news, if confirmed (I plan to visit a Telus store tomorrow and ask; holding off on bargaining with retentions until I see what kind of offers are available in December.

Basically, the new policy puts the cost of early termination of service at the pro-rated value of the phone subsidy + a $50 service fee; i.e. the customer pays off the balance of the interest-free loan Telus provided to buy the phone and the service fee (the service fee does not apply in Quebec where it is prohibited by law). I'll leave the debate over whether the fee is reasonable and why should customers in the ROC pay when Quebecers don't for others.

Obviously, the plan works best when the customer is buying a phone where comparison shopping is possible so the real value of the subsidy is known. We know what an iPhone costs almost anywhere in the world; more and more independent phone stores are opening. If we can buy our own phone, get a "deal" on service on back out for a $50 fee should a better deal come along in a year or so - this is good news indeed.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, I'd like to applaud Telus for making contracts related to phone subsidies.

I think the "next step" would be to do what Wind does and separate the phone from the monthly price and have it as a separate "loan repayment" line item, with interest even! When you're done paying off your phone, your monthly costs goes down.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Personally, I`d like to see Monthly Rates divorced from Phone prices but like the fact that Telcos are being forced to be more responsive to customers.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of things re Telus.

I stopped in to the Toronto Eaton Centre corporate store today to ask if the new early cancellation policy applies if I buy my own phone outright (unlocked iPhone from Apple, because the same phone from Telus would be locked); the rep told me there would be no charge to cancel an account if I'd received no subsidy.

He further advised that any of the Clear Choice Voice and Data plans can be had on a month to month basis (no contract) which is at odds with what I had been told by a CSR from Retentions about a month ago. I'm wondering now if Retentions was making a 36 month term a condition of renewing the "bonuses" I have now as a long-term customer (business bundle of enhanced voicemail, caller ID, call forwarding). That's a pretty cheap tactic if that's what they want but I'll be calling again in light of the new cancellation policy. Still have 2-1/2 weeks until my contract expires and I lose my bonuses.

Still, it's nice to know Telus is moving away from tying one down if one is wiling to pay up-front for the phone. Of course, I like the idea of buying unlocked phones from someone other than a carrier (e.g., Apple, Tiger Direct, dozens of stores in Asian malls around the GTA).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have 12 months left on my Hell-us contract, and I am considering paying it out.

I called them about the new policy and they told me it only counts for people that renewed within the last year.

So for those counting the months until they can get out... still $20 a month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts